Coffee

nwsbkk

Google 'Boncafe' and you will find the address of the nearest shop to you. I went once and tried 4 different coffees, chose two that I liked and bought 4 Kg. They now send by bus when I can't find their coffee in Macro.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I'm still in search of decent coffee. I bought a high quality drip coffee maker, then went to a French press and now an espresso maker. The espresso makes the best so far. I bought two different bean grinders. I have tried at least 4 different beans from Bon Cafe and none suited me. I have bought many different brand beans from Lazada and the best so far is Montore espresso - Italian. Even that brand doesn't do it for me I bought expensive beans from Big C and wasn't impressed.. The most expensive, at least for me, are no better than the cheap ones. Maybe I was just used to the ground Columbian available in most of the US supermarkets. After all the expense and different coffee makers, I am still able to drink Nescafe Red Cup instant when I am on a road trip and really don't miss the espresso machine.

I buy Sole Cafe at Makro that costs 160 baht for a 500 gram bag of ground coffee. They also have beans.

I still have a 490 grams of Sole Cafe opened pack I wanted to throw in the bin this morning, but my wife said: no, I might find a use for it, I still wonder what that would be?

I brought a Krups bean coffe machine with me together with coffe beans I import from Europe.

The worst coffee I drunk I my life was during my numerous stays in the USA, or do I need to name Sole Cafe as the worst?

Edited by tartempion

A recommendation for instant coffee with milk added on a coffee thread. Are you serious?

I was just at Villa Market, 250 grams for 140 baht (Boncafe cheapest, so IMO too bitter). But many more brands and roasts available.

Check your facts before commenting. I was just recommending a filter coffee that I enjoy. It is Not instant crap.

I did, http://www.moccona.com.au/range/
This one:

Thanks, I've never seen that one.

That would just leave the milk smile.png

I bought a really good coffee maker in my home country for a fifth of the local price. On every trip back I buy large quantities of coffee which keeps cost low. Friends and family also supply me on every trip.

I have to say that I'm still in search of decent coffee. I bought a high quality drip coffee maker, then went to a French press and now an espresso maker. The espresso makes the best so far. I bought two different bean grinders. I have tried at least 4 different beans from Bon Cafe and none suited me. I have bought many different brand beans from Lazada and the best so far is Montore espresso - Italian. Even that brand doesn't do it for me I bought expensive beans from Big C and wasn't impressed.. The most expensive, at least for me, are no better than the cheap ones. Maybe I was just used to the ground Columbian available in most of the US supermarkets. After all the expense and different coffee makers, I am still able to drink Nescafe Red Cup instant when I am on a road trip and really don't miss the espresso machine.

Where are you in Thailand Gary?

In Bangkok one of the fancy malls, I think it was Central Chitlom (if not, it was near to it, on that stretch between Ratchadamri and lower Suk Soi 1) does 'roast to order' beans. Never tried it myself, it was kind of pricey and I wondered if they actually knew what they were doing. Been a while since I was around there, don't know if they still have it. I recall it being in a sort of food court area on a lower floor.

• 5 weeks later...

Over the many years of owning a Bialetti moka pot, I've tried a variety of beans.....Bon Cafe, Starbucks, several hill tribe beans, Dao beans from Laos, beans from Vietnam, and Zolito Dark South Blend beans from Makro. Although it's been a while since I've had them, the Dao beans (red bag) from Laos were great......but can't find a source for them now. Second up....the Zolito beans from Makro. I believe about 185 Baht for 500g.......4 times a day for the past few years. Never a bad cup.

Dao Coffee has a branch in Siam Square One. Can't remember if they sell whole beans but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I have switched to Ratika , from Hillkoff , whole beans in a wide variety of roasts for the amazing price of 145B for 500 grams. The bag says Thai coffee manufactured by Chao Thai Pu Kao. To mee it tastes better than coffee sold at twice the price.coffee1.gif

This is the best coffee I have come across in Thailand. Available at foodland and Macro (sometimes ). 200 baht for 500g.

Like most people on this thread, I am amazed at the Thai concept that instant coffee is coffee.

7/11 has shelves of instant coffee but does not sell real coffee.

The price of illy, lavazza etc is insane.

post-234134-14687204561885_thumb.jpg

Douwe egberts is a step up from instant and often the only decent coffee available in remote locations but in the vicinity of larger cities there are much better local alternatives available.

Yes, I would tend to agree. In Australia I would have put it in that category . I brought it once out of desperation and was really impressed. Not sure of the origin etc, not info much on the pack.

It appears to be packaged in Thailand, Thai labelling.

It certainly isn't the same as that brand in Australia.

And the price is fantastic.

Try the Moccona espresso green boxed coffee. Use two heaped spoonfalls and two mugs of water, dash of milk. Great!!
A recommendation for instant coffee with milk added on a coffee thread. Are you serious?

I was just at Villa Market, 250 grams for 140 baht (Boncafe cheapest, so IMO too bitter). But many more brands and roasts available.

Check your facts before commenting. I was just recommending a filter coffee that I enjoy. It is Not instant crap.

I did, http://www.moccona.com.au/range/
This one:

I have tried that moccona, it's very course ground only for a drip filter.

Douwe egberts is a step up from instant and often the only decent coffee available in remote locations but in the vicinity of larger cities there are much better local alternatives available.

Yes, I would tend to agree. In Australia I would have put it in that category . I brought it once out of desperation and was really impressed. Not sure of the origin etc, not info much on the pack.

It appears to be packaged in Thailand, Thai labelling.

It certainly isn't the same as that brand in Australia.

And the price is fantastic.

I don't think Douwe Eggs is packaged in Thailand, they probably have different labels to stick on the bricks for different countries. They are owned by Sara Lee, one of the world's largest food conglomerates. The red label "special" is much better than the blue label "not special".

In the post I made about Ratika I meant to say it is distributed by Hillkoff. If you can find it, try it, very strong taste so I use less than I normally would.

This is the best coffee I have come across in Thailand. Available at foodland and Macro (sometimes ). 200 baht for 500g.

Like most people on this thread, I am amazed at the Thai concept that instant coffee is coffee.

7/11 has shelves of instant coffee but does not sell real coffee.

The price of illy, lavazza etc is insane.

What is the grind level on that Douwe Egberts coffee?

Coffee, schmoffee.

For me, it's a CDS- caffeine delivery system. I miss being able to buy caffeine tablets and forego the coffee altogether.

A good cuppa is great, but way too time consuming, and too hard to find in a lot of places I travel for the job. Getting on the road at 05:00 in Hicksville makes it even more hit and miss.

Coffee, schmoffee. For me, it's a CDS- caffeine delivery system. I miss being able to buy caffeine tablets and forego the coffee altogether. A good cuppa is great, but way too time consuming, and too hard to find in a lot of places I travel for the job. Getting on the road at 05:00 in Hicksville makes it even more hit and miss.

Isn't that what M150 is for .

Coffee, schmoffee. For me, it's a CDS- caffeine delivery system. I miss being able to buy caffeine tablets and forego the coffee altogether. A good cuppa is great, but way too time consuming, and too hard to find in a lot of places I travel for the job. Getting on the road at 05:00 in Hicksville makes it even more hit and miss.

Isn't that what M150 is for .

Tried it. Serves the purpose, but too much sugar.

BTW, the "purpose" is the prevention of caffeine withdrawal headaches.

Today I dropped by Dao Coffee at Siam Square One and saw they were selling 200g bags of beans for 175 baht which is a bit pricey but not too bad.

I picked up one of the red bags mentioned here and had them grind it for my espresso machine. I pulled a double shot with it as soon as I got home and it was pretty good! I wouldn't say it is a huge improvement on a bag of Aroma (freshly ground at Gourmet Market) but I'd say the flavor is noticeably better. I like the smaller bags too.

2e0TgWDl.jpg

getting good coffee in Thailand is pretty difficult.

I occasionally buy Chiang Mai (northern) coffee from OTOP shelves.

BUT

If you want decent coffee - buy Laos coffee (see post above) - if I have to get a new visa or go on holiday there, I stock up....and loads of friends ask me to bring it back for them.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Must say mostly stick to what I drink loads of, and did for years both in Holland and UK Douwe Egberts, 500gm here cost 200 baht... There is another one that's OK, 'Home Farm' friend buys it in Chumphon, think made local, about 160baht for 500gm... have tried some of the northern Hill tribe ones just can't remember the names and the nice ones.. Douwe Egberts, 500gm easy to buy so stick with it.

what is this with Tops, are they still around ? used to have one 6 km away closed down a few years ago, next one was 12 km away also long gone, and the one in Bang Yai 16 km away also went a long time ago.

My favorite so far is Mocca beans by Bonecafe which i have been getting from Macro.

It makes a big different how strong you brew the coffee and how hot you serve it.

i love French coffee - to the point that in places like Oz and US I won't drink the coffee whenever possible - and I include Seattle.

The main reason here I don't drink is because of the muck served up by companies like Starbucks and Boncafe who use all sorts of pseudonyms to make us think that what is little better than mud is some kind of exotic treat.

as for temperature, most coffees are served luke warm to warm to get the best taste e.g. Italy or middle East - and of course some like iced coffee.

You all need to get out & about more

Thailand has become very coffee sophisticated

You can get everything here AA Kenyan, Colombian, Ethiopian, Brazilian, Guatemalan
you name it its here fresh roasted here & often light roasted to boot thumbsup.gif

Then the Thai beans themselves have come so far so fast

The farmers are learning & applying things like how they process which now included honey process,natural,dry & washed

I predict it will not be but a few years until we see Thai coffee being exported world wide

It is in fact starting already with many US & Euro roasters buying micro lots

Edited by mania