Coffee

nwsbkk

Hello,

I am someone who enjoys waking up each day and brewing fresh coffee and sipping it all morning. I just arrived in Thailand and from what I see the coffee market is a bit perplexing. First of all it seems that 90% of the coffee on the shelves at the supermarket consists of instant coffee and 3 in 1 packets. Not for me.

I prefer a rich fresh coffee.(1 table spoon of coffee per 150 ml of water) I usually buy either whole beans and ground myself or I buy already ground beans. There is very little variety available and the lowest cost coffee goes for generally 150 baht for 200 grams. From what I and my family go through each day I would spend well over 1000 baht a month on home brewed coffee.

Has anyone found a way to buy larger quantities of beans or ground coffee at more reasonable rates.

I have lived in many countries including developed countries and I have never seen coffee(real coffee, not instant) priced this high.

Thanks

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the Moccona espresso green boxed coffee. Use two heaped spoonfalls and two mugs of water, dash of milk. Great!!

A recommendation for instant coffee with milk added on a coffee thread. Are you serious?

I was just at Villa Market, 250 grams for 140 baht (Boncafe cheapest, so IMO too bitter). But many more brands and roasts available.

Don't think you're going to get decent coffee for much less than you mention, but after trying many we settled on this one from Bluekoff which is excellent http://www.bluekoff.com/Product.aspx?cat=1&id=2 - order 2kg every couple of months. If you order 5kg at a time would work out at 140/kg, if you order less it's 150 - completely different league to boncafe (yuk)

Doi Chaang is our second in line in the event we forget to order and run out - few shops around across major cities in Thailand and they sell beans as well as being coffee shops. http://doichaangcoffee.co.th/en/coffee/

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I have no idea what you're talking about. There is a wide range of coffee available, all kinds of different beans, whole or grounded.

There is certainly more selection available in Thailand than there was even five years ago, but it's hardly wide range and as the OP observes ridiculously expensive.

Another recmmendation for Bluekoff - as you'd expect due to import taxes etc, local coffee is best value nad Bluekoff is very good... I'd recommend the A5 roast rather than the currently more fashionable lighter roast - order 12 packs of 250gm and it's delivere free in Bangkok,and if i remember it's around 120 baht for each bag of beans - which is far from ridiculously expensive.

If in a supermarket, then Boncafe is an easy option as it s also thai coffee and ok - the 'all day' blend beams are/were my choice rather than any other ( using an espresso machine - don't get the specific espresso boncafe blend, just the all day is ok)

I have no idea what you're talking about. There is a wide range of coffee available, all kinds of different beans, whole or grounded.

There is certainly more selection available in Thailand than there was even five years ago, but it's hardly wide range and as the OP observes ridiculously expensive.
Sorry, disagree on both counts.

long shot...

having missed decent coffee during many previous stays here, i purchased an ALDI espresso machine for A$70 and some 200 capsules of my favorite poison in australia before returned. fully expected some customs / security issues at the airport but all good.

the australian capsules are identical to all 'expressi' capsules sold by ALDI Sued'.

when i have visitors from europe they know what to turn up with.

might not help you right now, but...

Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee (I prefer the brown box roast, not the orange-ish box variety). Available at TOPS in Chiang Mai so I presume elsewhere too. 109 THB for 250 grams.

Package looks like this:

post-192235-0-04587600-1465716831_thumb.

Edited by Diplomatico

Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee (I prefer the brown box roast, not the orange-ish box variety). Available at TOPS in Chiang Mai so I presume elsewhere too. 109 THB for 250 grams.

Package looks like this:

attachicon.gifbravo_koo-img582x600-14413055285bsuk013440.jpg

This is my preference also. However when I can't find it in the supermarket I buy VPP Coffee, a bit more expensive (maybe due to the packaging used).

You don't have to apologise for having lower expectations.

You don't have to apologise for having lower expectations.
Why the need to insult.

In most developing countries that I've visited the price of Arabica coffee will come out to somewhere around US$6 per pound ($12/kilo), if they have it at all. In Brazil (a very large coffee producer) a 500g package of Melitta was around US$3 last time I was there.

If you find yourself in Lao check out the coffee sold in the shops. Stock up if doing a visa run. My favorite is Lao Mountain brand, there's a few others too. In Thailand I go with Duang Dee and Moccona green package.

I have been using Redcliff coffee for 6 years now. It is grown in Chiang Rai and roasted in small batches, and sent EMS to me when I'm running low. At 499 baht per kilo, I purchase two kilos and keep it in the freezer. In my opinion this is the best coffee in Thailand.

Try the Moccona espresso green boxed coffee. Use two heaped spoonfalls and two mugs of water, dash of milk. Great!!

A recommendation for instant coffee with milk added on a coffee thread. Are you serious?

I was just at Villa Market, 250 grams for 140 baht (Boncafe cheapest, so IMO too bitter). But many more brands and roasts available.

Check your facts before commenting. I was just recommending a filter coffee that I enjoy. It is Not instant crap.

^^^

Another vote for Duang dee.

They deliver 3x1kg bags to your door for 1060 baht.

3 varieties, so order one of each the first time and see which one you prefer.

Classic blend is my favourite coffee regardless of price.

http://www.northernthailand.com/duangdee/

i am just about to order 5kilo's of mixed from them,delivered on the coach within 5mins.to the bus.co.officefrom home,been buying from them the past 6yrs.

unique strong,expresso,classic taste,extra smooth,and one other.1,700bht.plus 90bht.bus fare.

Check your facts before commenting. I was just recommending a filter coffee that I enjoy. It is Not instant crap.

I did, http://www.moccona.com.au/range/

Actually if you like really great coffee I do not think it is expensive at all here

But dont buy old coffee at stores.

Go instead to one of the many coffee shops in Thailand (you did not say where you are?)

You can basically get all types of Single Origin coffee from various countries for roughly 2 baht a gram here..sometimes a bit less

Yes some are also higher by a little but you will find Ethiopian, Kenyan,Honduras, Brazilian,Colombian you name it & it is here

(imported green coffee beans that are roasted in Thailand have a 90% tax rate so price is quite fair & equal to the west)

Then there are the great Thai Coffee's no I do not mean some mentioned in this thread that are oily burnt beans

but the smaller farmers from Nan, Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai that

process various ways, natural (also called Honey processed) & also know how to light/medium roast. These are cheaper

than single origin at say 150-200 baht per 250 grams

Just look for specialty coffee shops. There is a BIG movement in Thailand now & you will have no problem once

tuned in to it via facebook etc.

All the Cafes support each other as do the roasters

The prices I mentioned are for fresh roasted bean not ground so maybe you will be ok with those prices?

Those prices above are similar to large roasters/sellers in the US etc

Counter Culture sells 340 grams/12oz for roughly 600+ baht so roughly same prices

Same goes for Intelligentsia, Verve etc.

Edited by mania

I did, http://www.moccona.com.au/range/
This one:

post-62332-1465827565186_thumb.jpg

Could not email the Duang Dee folks, turns out that the gent in charge is always traveling an the emails overflow the box limit. Wifey called the number 66 (53) - 219 361

and found out that they really are low-tech. They now have four flavors, having added a "full taste but smooth". I asked her to order one kg each of the three original, total cost 950 baht for the coffee. Shipping is either by bus or Thai post, the post being better to Phuket. So total cost 950+65 for post. Payment is by Bangkok Bank with wifey off to the bank to make a counter deposit to their account.

Could not email the Duang Dee folks, turns out that the gent in charge is always traveling an the emails overflow the box limit. Wifey called the number 66 (53) - 219 361[/size]

and found out that they really are low-tech. They now have four flavors, having added a "full taste but smooth". I asked her to order one kg each of the three original, total cost 950 baht for the coffee. Shipping is either by bus or Thai post, the post being better to Phuket. So total cost 950+65 for post. Payment is by Bangkok Bank with wifey off to the bank to make a counter deposit to their account.

It is really not very good coffee IMHO

You can do much better buying from a single farm rather than this kind of mixed & over roasted/burnt type

Could not email the Duang Dee folks, turns out that the gent in charge is always traveling an the emails overflow the box limit. Wifey called the number 66 (53) - 219 361[/size]

It is really not very good coffee IMHO

You can do much better buying from a single farm rather than this kind of mixed & over roasted/burnt type

Have to say I agree, we tried them out and were unimpressed.. different strokes for different folks of course, and we didn't try all variants, and it was pre-ground.

Over the many years of owning a Bialetti moka pot, I've tried a variety of beans.....Bon Cafe, Starbucks, several hill tribe beans, Dao beans from Laos, beans from Vietnam, and Zolito Dark South Blend beans from Makro. Although it's been a while since I've had them, the Dao beans (red bag) from Laos were great......but can't find a source for them now. Second up....the Zolito beans from Makro. I believe about 185 Baht for 500g.......4 times a day for the past few years. Never a bad cup.