Dutch MP’s Campaign to Free Dutchman Jailed for 103 Years in Thailand

webfact

Of which he has not been convicted or even charged of in the Netherlands.

He broke no laws here.

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands.''

Which he did legally.

Looks as if contradicting yourself is your favorite pastime, you even manage to do that in a single post.

Which part of money obtained from illegal activities, selling illegal drugs, is it that you don't understand.

Of course he wasn't convicted in The Netherlands, because he fled the country before they had the chance to.

May be the Dutch government know how much his tax returns amounted to, and compared that with the money he invested in Thailand, and had enough evidence to consider it money laundering.

And that is what the Thai courts convicted him on.

He sold the drugs legally in the Netherlands and was not charged with money laundering in the Netherlands. Which bit of that do you not understand?

He did not sell drugs in Thailand or launder money. He spent his money which he had earned in the Netherlands.

Legally as it stands at present.

Where did I contradict myself?

As to what he was convicted of in Thailand

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands.''

Legally earned as it stands

He sold the drugs legally in the Netherlands and was not charged with money laundering in the Netherlands.

Whoops

http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/03/10/coffeeshop-management-held-in-e20-million-money-laundering-scheme/

The men are suspected of laundering 20 million euros through four coffee shops they managed in Tilburg and Den Bosch.

The illegal proceeds from the businesses were invested in various countries in Asia and Europe.

The founder of this chain, Johan van Laarhoven, is currently imprisoned in Thailand, where he was recently sentenced to 103 years in prison for money laundering and earning money from selling soft drugs in the Netherlands.

He doesn't need a conviction in The Netherlands, since the money laundering happened in Thailand. Which part from investing money in Thailand earned from illegal business, wherever in the world, is it that you don't understand?

Whoops...

Not long after that, the Dutch prosecutor’s office (Openbaar Ministerie) launched an investigation into the Grass Company for money laundering. During years of investigation, no evidence was found that could convict Van Laarhoven or his business partners in the Netherlands.

Van Laarhoven and the Openbaar Ministerie agreed that if they ever again wanted to interrogate him about the case, he would report to the Netherlands within five days of their request.

Whoops...{part 2]

'Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands.''

Edited by Bluespunk

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The paramount golden rule for living peacefully in Thailand is to stay away as far as you can form

business and affairs and behavior that will bring the police, Thai courts and judges to bare on you,

as someone who's been involved in legal disputes both civil and criminal, I have painfully come to

to know that lawyers and judges and the court and legal system in Thailand can be described as weird,

insensible, and most of the time, down right bewildering and lopsided...... I can regale the readers

of this forum for hours with hair rising stories of crocked lawyers and indifferent court system,

but I won't go there today......

Looks as if contradicting yourself is your favorite pastime, you even manage to do that in a single post.

Which part of money obtained from illegal activities, selling illegal drugs, is it that you don't understand.

Of course he wasn't convicted in The Netherlands, because he fled the country before they had the chance to.

May be the Dutch government know how much his tax returns amounted to, and compared that with the money he invested in Thailand, and had enough evidence to consider it money laundering.

And that is what the Thai courts convicted him on.

He sold the drugs legally in the Netherlands and was not charged with money laundering in the Netherlands. Which bit of that do you not understand?

He did not sell drugs in Thailand or launder money. He spent his money which he had earned in the Netherlands.

Legally as it stands at present.

Where did I contradict myself?

As to what he was convicted of in Thailand

He sold the drugs legally in the Netherlands and was not charged with money laundering in the Netherlands.

Whoops

http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/03/10/coffeeshop-management-held-in-e20-million-money-laundering-scheme/

The men are suspected of laundering 20 million euros through four coffee shops they managed in Tilburg and Den Bosch.

The illegal proceeds from the businesses were invested in various countries in Asia and Europe.

The founder of this chain, Johan van Laarhoven, is currently imprisoned in Thailand, where he was recently sentenced to 103 years in prison for money laundering and earning money from selling soft drugs in the Netherlands.

He doesn't need a conviction in The Netherlands, since the money laundering happened in Thailand. Which part from investing money in Thailand earned from illegal business, wherever in the world, is it that you don't understand?

Whoops...

Not long after that, the Dutch prosecutor’s office (Openbaar Ministerie) launched an investigation into the Grass Company for money laundering. During years of investigation, no evidence was found that could convict Van Laarhoven or his business partners in the Netherlands.

Van Laarhoven and the Openbaar Ministerie agreed that if they ever again wanted to interrogate him about the case, he would report to the Netherlands within five days of their request.

Whoops...{part 2]

'Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands.''

http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/05/22/hidden-room-filled-with-weed-forces-coffeeshops-closure/

A business premises on Kooikerstraat in Tilburg from where The Grass Company coffee shops are supplied, has been closed down for 6 months. Mayor Peter Noordanus made this decision on Thursday after large quantities of cannabis were discovered in a hidden room.

Large quantities of cannabis in a hidden room doesn't sound very legal to me, and also not to te Dutch government, otherwise they wouldn't close them down.

These actions happened at the same time that the court in The Hague was handling a lawsuit against the company’s founder Johan van Laarhoven.

Not charged for anything, then how there could be a lawsuit ongoing?

In the USA state of Colorado, where cannabis has been decriminalised, the people who sell it are/were unable to put the cash in a regular US bank, as this could leave the bank open to charges under US federal law.

(That's as I understand it anyway).

Maybe a similarity with this case?

The American model ,pursuing "the dealer" has been proven not to work. That is why law enforcement loves it as it keeps the money rolling in. Dope suppliers benifit too as the price stays high. If you want to get rid of dope, legalise it and use the money the cops and lawyers are sucking up to educate people. If the price drops the gangsters will go away.

The American model ,pursuing "the dealer" has been proven not to work. That is why law enforcement loves it as it keeps the money rolling in. Dope suppliers benifit too as the price stays high. If you want to get rid of dope, legalise it and use the money the cops and lawyers are sucking up to educate people. If the price drops the gangsters will go away.

The gangsters will go away, and people will stop dying from overdoses and drugs cut with other substances as well?

Edited by Berty100

Must have had a rubbish lawyer, or upset a few people with attitude.

With apologies to all the rest, a lot of the Dutch guys I know are very vocal at espousing their perceived unshakable rights.

With all his money he should have had the best legal representative and ended up with a ,"thank you for spending your money in Thailand, sorry for any inconvenience".

Whoops

Whoops...

Whoops...{part 2]

http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/05/22/hidden-room-filled-with-weed-forces-coffeeshops-closure/

A business premises on Kooikerstraat in Tilburg from where The Grass Company coffee shops are supplied, has been closed down for 6 months. Mayor Peter Noordanus made this decision on Thursday after large quantities of cannabis were discovered in a hidden room.

Large quantities of cannabis in a hidden room doesn't sound very legal to me, and also not to te Dutch government, otherwise they wouldn't close them down.

These actions happened at the same time that the court in The Hague was handling a lawsuit against the company’s founder Johan van Laarhoven.

Again from the OP

In the USA state of Colorado, where cannabis has been decriminalised, the people who sell it are/were unable to put the cash in a regular US bank, as this could leave the bank open to charges under US federal law.

(That's as I understand it anyway).

Maybe a similarity with this case?

That's true and I suppose they may want to think twice about spending their legal dough in Thailand.

He was stitched up by the Dutch Embassy here. Then stitched up again by the Thai cops, demanding "protection money". Finally stitched up by the ultra-bent Thai "judiciary" for not coughing up, and to send out a nice message to anyone else of semi-dodgy background residing here in LOS.

I feel sorry for anyone locked up in a prison cell with a Dutchman.

The Thai authorities should return him to the Netherlands in order to avoid being charged with subjecting the other prisoners he's locked up with to 'cruel and inhumane punishments'.

I can't but wander whether the legal niceties in this case weren't rather overshadowed by enthusiasm for seizing his assets and auctioning his house and vehicles.

I wander what happened to his assets (bank accounts?) and the proceeds of that auction?

I remember years ago, to have read something about some LOS officials wanting to prosecute the falangs in falalgland for having broke the thai laws there (yes there, NOT here, there), perhaps now they are finally starting implementing that plan....does anyone knows when the first speedboat carrying officials to go and get the naughty falangs will sail, and which country will be targeted first???

Whoops

Whoops...

Whoops...{part 2]

Again from the OP

Don't you see that the articles I linked to are about developments in the case AFTER that agreement was made, or is it just that you just parrot yourself, because you can't rebut my comments.

According to the Telegraaf, the police also raided the building of The Grass Company itself, which is situated on Spoorlaan.

These actions happened at the same time that the court in The Hague was handling a lawsuit against the company’s founder Johan van Laarhoven. He has been in custody in Thailand, where he is suspected of money laundering, since last summer.

I guess he didn't report within 5 days then

Authorities turn a blind eye to illegal drug traders in the Netherlands .

He profits from this and the proceeds of crime are spent in Thai where it is against the law to benefit from the proceeds of crime.

Enter the Dutch give him up knowing full well that this would come about but not expecting a hefty sentence.

Why defend a drug dealer anyway?

I am not Dutch, but I thought coffee shops in the Netherlands were legal operations? Is this not the case?

Whoops...

Whoops...{part 2]

Again from the OP

Don't you see that the articles I linked to are about developments in the case AFTER that agreement was made, or is it just that you just parrot yourself, because you can't rebut my comments.

According to the Telegraaf, the police also raided the building of The Grass Company itself, which is situated on Spoorlaan.

These actions happened at the same time that the court in The Hague was handling a lawsuit against the company’s founder Johan van Laarhoven. He has been in custody in Thailand, where he is suspected of money laundering, since last summer.

And don't you see that at the time of his trial he had an agreement to return to face charges.

Instead of being given this opportunity he was arrested and tried and convicted for spending money that at the time was, from a legal standpoint, legitimately earned.

He has committed no crime here and should not be in gaol.

As for this part of your post

'I guess he didn't report within 5 days then'

Hard to report when you are in gaol wouldn't you say?

Edited by Bluespunk

Realistic sentence for a farang, !

inequality in scales of justice is plain for all to see.

this case makes LOS into land of hypocrites

a long process to win his freedom, good luck

Well ..? ..now the Dutch government is involved it might evolve faster ?!?!?

Again from the OP

And don't you see that at the time of his trial he had an agreement to return to face charges.

Instead of being given this opportunity he was arrested and tried and convicted for spending money that at the time was, from a legal standpoint, legitimately earned.

This is my last reply to you, because you prefer to close your eyes to facts, rather than admit you're sprouting nothing but drivel.

Let the other posters know which part of the conviction you don't understand, and why there can be a conviction if it isn't illegal.

Bye bye

''During years of investigation, no evidence was found that could convict Van Laarhoven or his business partners in the Netherlands.

After a request from a Dutch lawyer working for Openbaar Ministerie, the Thai authorities launched their own investigation into Van Laarhoven. Several days later he and his wife were arrested at their Pattaya home.

Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch “gedoogbeleid” policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.'

The Thai court’s verdict, however, ignores that policy, concluding that money earned with the sale of drugs has to be illegal money. Therefore, spending that money is a crime. His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.''

This man should not be in gaol.

What ever he did in The Netherlands unless on the Interpol or Dutch arrest warrants should not have effected his status here,so it seems like the los bib just invented a way to acquire his property and assets.

This is my last reply to you, because you prefer to close your eyes to facts, rather than admit you're sprouting nothing but drivel.

Let the other posters know which part of the conviction you don't understand, and why there can be a conviction if it isn't illegal.

Bye bye

Read the link to the OP. That tells you exactly why he was gaoled.

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch “gedoogbeleid” policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.

The Thai court’s verdict, however, ignores that policy, concluding that money earned with the sale of drugs has to be illegal money. Therefore, spending that money is a crime. His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.''

Edited by Bluespunk