Dutch MP’s Campaign to Free Dutchman Jailed for 103 Years in Thailand

webfact

Yes they will, and normal procedure would be extradition to the country where the crime was committed. In this case that is pretty hard to do, as the subject did not commit a crime in the Netherlands. He ran a fully legitimate coffee shop, which operation is specifically described in the dutch Opiumlaw. what he did in the Netherlands was indeed legal and as far as we know now, he specifically stayed within that opiumlaw.

The dutch government isn't merely turning a blind eye (such as the Thai do when it comes to prostitution) they have created a framework in the opiumlaw with criteria that must be followed to be allowed to run a coffee shop.

Yes, but the point I'm making is that it's not legal in Thailand. Such protestations do have a tendency to fall on deaf-ears where the "authorities" are concerned.

Considering he did not earn his money in Thailand, I fail to see how this could even be an argument. Classic example of Thai Justice, which is everything but fair and balanced. Miscarriage of Justice, no other words. I am surprised there are people on this thread trying to defend or reasoning this verdict, it's plain to see how this is not fair, not balanced and not warranted.

By the way, when is this forum going to implement ways to remove quotes using a touch based tablet ? It is really annoying me having to go to a desktop pc to quote any post that has "too much quotes" because it is impossible to do on a touch based system. Surely some button to remove individual quotes would be a must.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had that sort of money I would not choose Thailand. He could have gone to innumerable tropical paradises in the Americas.

He also forgot the number one rule. You don't screw the man.

I'm pro legalise, think the system here is irrational in terms of drug law, a pan asian delusion in particular. For all these reasons, he should have been smart enough to get out while the going was good.

Pay your taxes and you can get away with murder. Literally.

It's a shame to see such a phenomenal personal set up end in such a shamoz. But he brought it on himself buy being cute with the taxman.

Edited by dhream

But he brought it on himself buy being cute with the taxman.

He brought it on himself by living in Thailand. He should have known if he had assests and they could be stripped, then the Thai police woudl not hesitate to do exactly that. That is something any Thai will tell you.Good summation of the Force by the way ...

Corruption is institutionalized in the police force in the form of extra-budgetary payments to police officer’s welfare funds, holiday banquets, office renovations, bribe-taking, and extortion. Police are poorly paid. A patronage system, in which beat police, funnel money to their superiors is institutionalized.

According to a Petchaboon Examiner editorial: The National Police Office’s fundamental problems are “widespread nepotism, corruption, lax law enforcement and disrespect for the rule of law. Nepotsim is particularly deeply entrenched. It is a known fact that capability, resourcefulness and seniority—the standard yardsicks for promotion in a government bureaucracy—are not enough to be promoted without the right connections or enough money to kick up to their superiors. There is a great deal of truth to the rumor that the post of chief inspector at a “good” police station costs about 500,000 baht.

But he brought it on himself buy being cute with the taxman.

He brought it on himself by living in Thailand. He should have known if he had assests and they could be stripped, then the Thai police woudl not hesitate to do exactly that. That is something any Thai will tell you.Good summation of the Force by the way ...

Corruption is institutionalized in the police force in the form of extra-budgetary payments to police officer’s welfare funds, holiday banquets, office renovations, bribe-taking, and extortion. Police are poorly paid. A patronage system, in which beat police, funnel money to their superiors is institutionalized.

According to a Petchaboon Examiner editorial: The National Police Office’s fundamental problems are “widespread nepotism, corruption, lax law enforcement and disrespect for the rule of law. Nepotsim is particularly deeply entrenched. It is a known fact that capability, resourcefulness and seniority—the standard yardsicks for promotion in a government bureaucracy—are not enough to be promoted without the right connections or enough money to kick up to their superiors. There is a great deal of truth to the rumor that the post of chief inspector at a “good” police station costs about 500,000 baht.

Not disputing any of that. Regardless where this guy expatriated to, anyone not paying 'Caesar' these days can expect no rest. All Governments are on the back foot and make examples of tax evaders. They also cooperate, or coerce those states who don't to 'see reason'.