Cambodian Opposition Leader Expresses 'Deep Regret' Over Renegade Facebook Post

geovalin

Cambodian opposition party chief Sam Rainsy expressed regret to Prime Minister Hun Sen for an incident involving a former Cambodia National Rescue Party member who posted salacious accusations about the prime minister’s family on Facebook.

“In the name of the Cambodian National Rescue Party and in my own name, we would like to express deep regret over the action of those who had used indignity, humiliation and allegation against Samdech [Hun Sen] and the son of [Hun Sen's wife] Samdech Kittipritbandit Bun Rany Hun Sen, causing Samdech and family pain,” Sam Rainsy wrote in a June 14 letter obtained by RFA’s Khmer Service.

Samdech and Kittipritbandit are honorary titles in Cambodia that confer respect. Roughly translated, Samdech means “lord,” and Kittipritbandit is equivalent to an honorary doctorate.

Brady Young, a Cambodian-American living in United States, posted consecutive video clips on his Facebook page in April that included accusations that Hun Sen’s elder son, Hun Manet, is actually the child of former Vietnamese Communist leader Le Duc Tho and Bun Rany Hun Sen. Brady also called on Hun Sen to have his elder son’s DNA checked to confirm his paternity.

After the posts appeared, Hun Sen accused the CNRP of secretly engineering the effort and warned that he would not let the CNRP rest in peace, despite an immediate statement from the opposition party disowning the comments. On May 16, the CNRP dismissed Brady from the party.

Speaking at the Royal University of Phnom Penh on June 13th, Hun Sen reiterated his warning that he has little tolerance for such shenanigans from the CNRP.

“When you hit my head and then ask me to fetch the water for you to drink, do not expect that is going to happen,” he said. “You must have enormous compensation for Hun Sen and for Hun Sen’s family. You must listen to this clearly.”

High tension

Sam Rainsy’s note comes as tensions between Hun Sen and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) and the CNRP are running high.

Authorities have arrested CNRP lawmakers and rights workers, and the CPP has sued a prominent NGO leader and critic of the government as prosecutors pursue a high-profile case involving CNRP deputy leader Kem Sokha’s alleged affair with a young hairdresser.

CNRP President Sam Rainsy has been staying in France or traveling since an arrest warrant was issued for him in November for a 2008 defamation case. At the time, he was removed from his office and stripped of his parliamentary immunity. After Sam Rainsy left the country, the CNRP named Kem Sokha its acting president.

Authorities are also making it difficult for CNRP supporters to travel and collect thumbprints on petitions asking King Norodom Sihamoni to intervene in the political crises that has also seen heavily armed police attempt to arrest Kem Sokha at CNRP headquarters in Phnom Penh..

CNRP supporters in the Me Sang district, Prey Veng province, were banned by authorities from traveling to join a gathering at the party headquarters in Phnom Penh on Tuesday, RFA has learned. Thumbprints often serve as signatures in Cambodia.

Chharn Sophate, the CNRP’s commune council member of the Prey Khneas commune, told RFA that six authorities stopped his group from going to Phnom Penh on Wednesday.

'They stopped us'

“They stopped us, and then they sent us to the police station to sign an agreement, but I said: ‘What is the issue that requires me to go there?’ So I refused to go,’” he said. "If they want to arrest me, let them do so because I did nothing wrong."

Prey Khneas commune chief Em Seab told RFA that he was implementing the plans of his superiors.

“This plan was issued by the higher-ups to ban them from going,” he said.

Prey Veng provincial commissioner Sreng Chea denied that he had issued any orders that would prevent locals from traveling to Phnom Penh.

“I did not place the order to stop them,” he said.

In Stung Treng province, CNRP province chief Puy Chanthala told RFA that provincial authorities have detained seven party activists since June 7. Authorities forced them to stop collecting thumbprints and made them sign an agreement to end their activities, he said.

“They said that we must get their permission to collect thumbprints,” he told RFA. “This is wrong.”

On June 12, authorities in Stung Treng province threatened CNRP supporters for providing thumbprints, according to an opposition party official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The official told RFA that 100 villagers were called in for a meeting by Kbal Rmeas commune authorities in Se San district and were threatened with jail time unless they withdrew their thumbprints.

Voeun Sambath, Kbal Romeas commune chief and CPP member, admitted that there was a meeting to educate villagers about the thumbprint issue, but he denied any issuing any threats against locals.

Suon Bunsak, executive director of the Cambodian Human Rights Action Coalition (CHRAC), told RFA that shifting the blame from one set or authorities to another is a pretext to avoid accountability.

Stopping people from going to Phnom Penh is clearly violation of the citizen’s rights stated in the constitution.

“The government has an important duty to facilitate every citizen’s ability to exercise their rights,” he said. “I would like to appeal to the government to kindly implement its duty though mediation so every Cambodian can exercise his rights freely in accordance with Cambodia’s legal framework.”

CNRP supporters gather

While authorities were attempting to keep CNRP supporters bottled up, about 2,000 supporters from dozens of cities and provinces still managed to gather at the party’s headquarters.

A line of supporters stretched for about one kilometer (0.62 mile) along Highway No. 2 where security forces packing firearms, electronic wands and shields were deployed, and iron barricades were blocking the road.

CNRP officials said they are not preparing for a demonstration, but wanted to monitor the political situation related to the court cases surrounding Kem Sokha as the embattled CNRP leader declined to appear in court once again.

Police attempted to arrest Kem Sokha on May 26 for failing to appear for questioning about the sex scandal the government has been prosecuting against him since March. He has since been hiding out in the CNRP’s headquarters in Phnom Penh.

Reported by RFA's Khmer Service. Translated by Yanny Hin. Written in English by Brooks Boliek.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambodia/cambodia-oppostion-leader-06142016163401.html

Copyright © 1998-2016, RFA. Used with the permission of Radio Free Asia, 2025 M St. NW, Suite 300, Washington DC 20036.