London bans 'unrealistic body images' from transport system

webfact

London bans 'unrealistic body images' from transport system
By Tiffany Ap, CNN

(CNN)From July, London commuters will no longer have to view advertisements that "conform to unhealthy or unrealistic body images," the city's transport authority announced.

Making good on his campaign promise, newly-elected mayor Sadiq Khan said all advertising on the city's transport network that is "likely to create body confidence issues, particularly among young people" will be banished.

"As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end," Khan said Monday.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/14/europe/uk-london-bans-negative-body-image-ads/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-06-15

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fantastic decision.

How many jobs are going to be lost, and how much are costs going to rise due to the removal of advertising revenue.

Or is that another cost that the UK taxpayer will have to shoulder ?

None. The advertisers will produce adverts that don't push young kids into eating disorders.

How many jobs are going to be lost, and how much are costs going to rise due to the removal of advertising revenue.

None. The advertisers will produce adverts that don't push young kids into eating disorders.

Sure.

Is that why obesity is growing at an alarming rate in the UK. especially among schoolkids ?

Sure.

Is that why obesity is growing at an alarming rate in the UK. especially among schoolkids ?

So you support this decision then, one of the things that might contribute to a reduce in obesity.

I support this action, next i want him to ban those pictures of dudes with them six pack abs, it makes me feel so fat and hurts my male ego. and those guys that are younger than me too, and got more money.

Sure.

So you support this decision then, one of the things that might contribute to a reduce in obesity.

I have yet to see anyone ripping advertisements from transport and eating them.

A reduction in fast food joints will reduce obesity.

Is there anybody that really thinks ramming bad food into your fat gob is going to make you look like a poster girl ?

Grow up.

Sure.

You could argue that this is also down to advertising. Of crap food :)

So is this for feminism as so many think or the start of the Islamification of London?

I somewhat doubt the Islamic Mayor is a closet feminist. That aside as too many women overeat and don't exercise then better to ban pictures of slim women. Sad.

Sure.

You could argue that this is also down to advertising. Of crap food smile.png

You could also argue that food with is deemed more healthy is more expensive to buy, so families not on great incomes buy what they can afford

So is this for feminism as so many think or the start of the Islamification of London?

I somewhat doubt the Islamic Mayor is a closet feminist. That aside as too many women overeat and don't exercise then better to ban pictures of slim women. Sad.

We somewhat do not doubt that segueing from Muslim to Islamic (probably wanting to conflate Islamic with Islamist) is your party trick for the Mayor?

Sure.

Is there anybody that really thinks ramming bad food into your fat gob is going to make you look like a poster girl ?

Grow up.

You may object to the principle of an advertising ban, but your argumentation here does not make sense at all.

Grow up.

You may object to the principle of an advertising ban, but your argumentation here does not make sense at all.

My original post

Nothing about eating disorders or obesity, That was introduced by others.

Now go and troll elsewhere.

Edited by SgtRock

there will be times when feminism, islamism and the regressive left or right intersect. In islam, any depiction of a human or animal form in any medium is haram and is believed to be a form of idolitry. In some ways adverising in this fashion is idolitry but so what?. Freedom should outweigh these beliefs.

Fat is the new normal.

Please,fat is not PC, it's plus size these days, its only us oldies that say fat,or as I call it,telling the truth

Your avatar reminds me that the statues in the British Museum also depict an "unrealistic ideal" hope he cover them too.

Grow up.

My original post

Nothing about eating disorders or obesity, That was introduced by others.

Now go and troll elsewhere.

Does not matter who introduced it, your reasoning in your post # 7, to which I reacted, makes no sense.

Agree with you on one thing, I'm out of here, no point in a discussion with somebody who makes claims and later denies having made them.

So, if they put fat people, the argument is for obesity, heart disease....

Before everyone was skinny, now everyone is fat. Skinny people tend to be healthier. So, now they can only put medium sized people in ads? Absurd

Great news! Can we now look forward to all those male models with rock-hard six packs being replaced by ordinary blokes with bulging beer bellies?

And yes, I am available for a photo shoot!

So it's ads with a fit girls in a bikinis that push youngsters into eating disorders??

Oh please - this isn't about public health. It's about a new mayor and his religious scruples.

Edited by hawker9000

We somewhat do not doubt that segueing from Muslim to Islamic (probably wanting to conflate Islamic with Islamist) is your party trick for the Mayor?

Surely Islam and Muslim are one and the same, where is the divide?

Treating people as if they cannot think rationally for themselves: An advertisement for goodness sake is not going to harm anyones self image.

If it does it is a sad day for humanity.

No this is to appease and appeal to the Muslim population of London who are like most from Islam, very, very backward in regards to sex, sexuality female bodies and womens' rights.

Baby steps to totalitarian control, can't speak freely , can't look at pictures, can't think wrong thoughts, bad machine, need fixing, or eliminating.

Its coming, baby steps to disaster.