Cost of tomatoes almost trebled?!?!

Mangostin

Thailand had its second hottest month in record in April I believe,that put paid to the Tomatos, as soon as the air temps get past 30c Tomatos are struggling,all through the cold season my Tomatos flourished come April they all stalled,the high temps finished them off,the only Toms worth buying now are imported,but you pay the price.The cost of running a Greenhouse to control the environment is very costly,makes it not worth growing them,the other thing with a lot of the Toms you can buy is there crap,I grow and monitor the Brixt value to help me grow,for Toms poor is 4,rising to 16 for excellent,most shop bought Toms make 4,in fact when I first had my meter i was testing everything,I found some Toms that only made 3 on the meter.

The cost will come down as soon as temps fall and the local farmers can grow them again,I run a Aquaponic garden up here in Chaing Rai and even with the slightly better climate up here Toms this time of year are a waste of time,I wish I could grow them more successfully as there's money to be made.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of weeks ago spring onions went from the usual 75B/kilo to 225B/kilo in Makro. That makes them nearly four times the price of chicken breast, which is ridiculous.

Recently I bought a very large fresh Iceberg lettuce at Sainsbury's in the UK for 50p, which is their standard everyday price. That's 25B. A much smaller and much older lettuce would be three times that in BigC here.

Someone is pocketing a lot of money here.

lett-uce hope not!

Ive had to buy one instead of my normal three.................oh life will never be the same again

Naaw, ..... you know how they say?

They came for the tomatoes, and i said nothing,

they came for the lettuce, and i said nothing,

then they came for my bar girl, so i finally decided to make a post about it on TV.....

The cost of running a Greenhouse to control the environment is very costly,makes it not worth growing them,

The cost will come down as soon as temps fall and the local farmers can grow them again

About the costs, i imagine that you are referring to electricity, what about some renewable energy setup to cut the costs of that?

Also, i noticed that just creating some shadow, will really create a huge difference in temperatures, however many locals just kind of accept the sunshine as something unavoidable or whatever else, as they adopts no work arounds to protect the walls or roof of their homes for example.

While we were building up our home, you couldn't touch the walls from the inside as the sun made them incredibly hot, so we build up walls as a "sandwich", now inside stay cool even without a/c, however some protection nets or trees would have probably worked out on a similar way.

A couple of weeks ago spring onions went from the usual 75B/kilo to 225B/kilo in Makro. That makes them nearly four times the price of chicken breast, which is ridiculous.

Recently I bought a very large fresh Iceberg lettuce at Sainsbury's in the UK for 50p, which is their standard everyday price. That's 25B. A much smaller and much older lettuce would be three times that in BigC here.

Around here there are a few itinerant onion's sellers, but they only have those little micro onions, the size of a cherry, i did try them once, 50 B for a kg, but to peel them off would take such a long time that i have given up after the first try.

Lettuce not easy to find, always overpriced anyway, here they like cabbage, they eat it raw and put it almost everywhere...

Rarely we can even find broccoli and cauliflowers, but they just taste awful, not sure why, i don't think it's the chemicals, because they almost always have little caterpillars inside, you just have to look for them while cleaning them up.

Edited by Mangostin

Chonburi area- Tomatoes- at Makro 59 Baht per Kg/ Big C- 55 B/ Lotus-59 B/ Market 70B- per. Also, other vegetable prices up as well as eggs. If this is because of the drought- simply go back to Songkran when people were wasting water and no conservation efforts. Now everyone suffering from high prices .

Where did all that "wasted water" from songkran go??

It went back into the ground and became ( guess what) ground water, or evaporated, went into the atmosphere, condensed and became rain.

Water does not vanish, it just cycles

The conservation needed is retaining the flood waters in rainy season in resiviours for use in the dry season rather than letting it all flow down the river into the gulf where it becomes useless.

This would also reduce flooding.

I love these types of threads.

Bill, the ex-postman from Darlington howling in monetary anguish as the cost of a beer goes up by 5 or 10 baht

Seriously, though . . . it's the drought. I'm sure the increases won't tip the average UK/US tightwad over the edge into poverty

Was just in Laos, large bottle of beer Lao in an upmarket restaurant/bar 45bht (10,000kip).

Tomatoes still 10bht a bag in my local market.

How often do you water your tomatoe plants? Tomatoes like one good watering a week (every 5 days or so here in T.land) and then no more water until the following week. Avoid watering the leaves; only water at the base of the plants.

Try again and good luck!

Really?

That's really surprising, i thought that with such an intense heat, they would need much more water.

The land usually get hard as a stone if it's not watered daily, it will even start cracking up, so i usually gave them a light-medium watering 3 or even 4 times a day, perhaps that's part of the problem.

I remember to have read somewhere that during the first stage of growing, they would require much more water, anyway, i will try this new method and see if it works.

The pots with composted soil also get usually infested with insects of all sizes and shapes, there is always a red little legged worm, which curl as soon as it get bothered, they usually dig their way in inside the soil but comes out during the watering, maybe they are feasting on my little plants?

Thanks for sharing.

In regards to the rock-hard soil: I sometimes loosen up the soil around the plants and occassionally add a handful of cow manure. You have to be extremely careful not to dig too close to the plants as you may damage roots and or the stem. There's a garden tool that has a meter long handel and miniature shovel-like fitting on one end of it, which I find ideal for this kind of job. Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what it's called in English (or Thai for that matter). A garden hoe or hand trowel will do the job, too, but I generally do too much damage to the plants when using the hoe.

I've never had a single bug, insect or worm on any of my tomatoe plants.

You should also avoid planting the tomatoes in the same spot/grow bed year after year. Plant them in a different area/growbed every year/every other year.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I've learned a lot from fellow members on TV's subforum "farming/kitchen gardens". There's a least one thread dedicated to growing tomatoes here. Check it out.

I love these types of threads.

Bill, the ex-postman from Darlington howling in monetary anguish as the cost of a beer goes up by 5 or 10 baht

Seriously, though . . . it's the drought. I'm sure the increases won't tip the average UK/US tightwad over the edge into poverty

I'm concerned for Thai families, especially with young children already struggling. The price increases are really not of much concern to me personally.

With few exceptions I eat pretty much like a Thai. Great place to be vegetarian with 80% fruit diet. When in Thailand...

(or DATT in Chiang Mai)

Wow Sydebolle, thank you so much for sharing this, whom would ever guess that such a place could exist in Thailand? Honestly they should start advertising on TV, i am sure there would be many people very interested in what they have to offer.

The product is sold as "Take me home" with the logo as shown hereafter and available in any decent supermarket; albeit at a price. But they at least taste, look and are like real tomatoes, Nuff said wai2.gif

post-65504-0-01778900-1466144806_thumb.j

I agree.

I prefer tomatoes with more base and less trebel.

And their volume turned up to eleven!cheesy.gif

Oh the irony here.... you managed to spell both bass and treble wrong while making a joke about the spelling. LOL Well done!

And you are the first to notice, or at least mention it. LOL, Well done...

or is that medium rare?

This is something I eat every day and at their very best they are only just passable I suspect because they are always picked green.

Here in Korat I noticed today in big c and tesco they have gone up to 55฿ a kilo from the usual 20.......25 ฿. Even in the market tonight they were really scarce suspect the vendors feel they won't sell too many.

Around here there are a few itinerant onion's sellers, but they only have those little micro onions, the size of a cherry, i did try them once, 50 B for a kg, but to peel them off would take such a long time that i have given up after the first try.

Lettuce not easy to find, always overpriced anyway, here they like cabbage, they eat it raw and put it almost everywhere...

Rarely we can even find broccoli and cauliflowers, but they just taste awful, not sure why, i don't think it's the chemicals, because they almost always have little caterpillars inside, you just have to look for them while cleaning them up.

A tip on peeling the small onions, dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds and the skin rubs off.

Price of carrots and watermelons and other items have doubled and tripled too.

In my home country, 1 romaine lettuce has gone from $ 1 to $ 2,50 in 3 years as have many other items.

All governments come out with same bs, no inflation but deflation... ya right. Their brain washing is another

attempt to justify zero int. rates, whereas the real reason is that politicians have spent and spent to oblivion and drowning

in debt so they can buy more votes and keep themselves at the trough longer.

In my books, one who has sky high debt is a big risk and so should pay very high interest rates but opposite is happening.

Big debtors are rewarded for gigantic debts. Real estate, stock market and bond market bubbles at unprecedented levels.

Just wait till it goes nuclear... world will finally reject paper currencies which are truly meaningless.

Gold will go to Pluto.

Bitcoin will go to the moon long before gold gets out of earth's atmosphere.....

Bitcoin beats gold in 2016

Timestamp this plz ;)

With the price of tomatoes being what it is, i guess you guys wont be able to afford that extra bottle of cheers beer enjoyed on the 7-11 curb...

Ha ha you broke violin! , just because this is what you are up to every days, it doesn't means that others have your same habits, you know?

If there is something that i really despise, it's all those people which are ready to splash out whatever amount just to show how good they apparently are, till the people whom are taking them for a ride rise the stacks to a point they'll have to jump from a balcony instead to show any sort of disapprove or surprise...well done.

violin.gif

(or DATT in Chiang Mai)

Wow Sydebolle, thank you so much for sharing this, whom would ever guess that such a place could exist in Thailand? Honestly they should start advertising on TV, i am sure there would be many people very interested in what they have to offer.

I was wondering how long it took him to pick them.

lett-uce hope not!
Haha, had a mate who said he had a lettuce growing out his arse. when he asked the doctor if it was serious, the doctor replied, serious, that's just the tip of the iceberg..

This is impossible. The economists keep telling us there is little to no inflation. How could prices continue going up, when the pundits are protesting to the contrary?

And besides, the little guy is doing such a great job with the economy, why would prices be rising? How can this be allowed to happen?

Big C ratchada had NO tomatoes at 21.30 this evening, for any price.....

It all looks as the end is nigh, that's to-match to handle....

My local superstore didn't had baguettes (french bread), for the last 3 years, every time i would make the usual question just to test "there is no bread today?", the answer would always be the same "today no blead, tomollow okay", i have no idea what it's going on inside these thai superstores, but whatever that might be, it seems that they have got orders from higher up to always repeat the same BS ("bread's story").....