Air Canada credit card verification policy leaves woman stranded in Thailand

webfact

Air Canada credit card verification policy leaves woman stranded in Thailand

The airline apologized and said large, last minute credit card purchases are often reviewed to prevent fraud

ccc.jpg
Steve Wacher and his wife Nantiwa Phoophong married a year and a half ago. (Supplied)

BANGKOK: -- Air Canada has apologized to an Alberta man after his wife was barred from an overseas flight due to a credit card verification issue.

On Monday, while on vacation at his parent's farm near Sylvan Lake, Steve Wacher booked a last-minute flight through Air Canada so his wife in Thailand could join him.

His wife, Nantiwa Phoophong, arrived two and half hours prior to the flight's departure at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. At the desk of Air Canada's partner company, All Nippon Airways, she was told the credit card used to book the flight needed to be verified.

Because the flight was paid for with Wacher's card, she was told that her husband needed to verify the card with Air Canada before she could board the plane.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/air-canada-credit-card-verification-policy-leaves-woman-stranded-in-thailand-1.3635524

-- CBCnews 2016-06-16

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this is Air Canada/ ANA but some airlines have an even stricter policy than those two airlines mentioned:

(EVA AIR) Payment by Non-passengers

If you used a credit card to purchase a ticket online for another passenger and you will not be traveling with that passenger, then you must complete our credit card verification procedure. If you cannot meet the requirements of our verification procedure, then you may have to buy another ticket. Passengers whose journey originates in Malaysia may not travel on a ticket bought with another person’s credit card.

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/public/credit-card-non-card-holder.html

Edited by JLCrab

So ''Man doesn't read airline policy'' is now news. I don't see why Air Canada apologised: this is pretty standard (albeit annoying). Same thing happened to my little cousin: uncle paid for ticket but didn't complete verification procedure (Never made that mistake again)

I can't figure out if this is some weird paid for advertisement for Air Canada or whether it really is just a slow news day :unsure:

I realize this is Air Canada/ ANA but some airlines have an even stricter policy than those two airlines mentioned:

(EVA AIR) Payment by Non-passengers

If you used a credit card to purchase a ticket online for another passenger and you will not be traveling with that passenger, then you must complete our credit card verification procedure. If you cannot meet the requirements of our verification procedure, then you may have to buy another ticket. Passengers whose journey originates in Malaysia may not travel on a ticket bought with another person’s credit card.

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/public/credit-card-non-card-holder.html

Yep. Some require the card owner to be present in person somewhere to present some form prior to the flight.

What a non event.

I wonder if I would make the news if I was left stranded by Bangkok Airways "verification team" for paying with my own credit card which they asked to verify 2 hours before takeoff. I didn't have the card with me, but fortunately had the number memorized which "allowed" me to board the flight.

No wonder budget airlines are getting more passengers

They accept credit cards readily

Qantas demands you show your credit card at it's office in Bangkok within 2 days of purchase

Thai air would only accept cash, so refused to sell me a ticket I was arranging for someone else at a travel agency

Edited by noosard

Same story for Thai airways when travelling with Thai airways to Australia.

Yes. I don't see why he didn't complete the verification online when paying (verified by visa or master card securecode).

I was really concerned about this when my girlfriend came to Australia with Thai airways. They insisted it was fine as long as aforementioned verification was done. Failing that they offered I could verify sending scanned documents via email.

I can understand this guys frustration and the airline handled it poorly but the problem stems from him not following the procedure correctly.

Normal procedure with most airlines. Be happy they try to protect you against fraud.

It is all a load of sh*t* (cards are insured)

Ive been through the dramas before in my own country & here

Well totally in possible for me to trot down to the to the main street of the capital in my line of work (had to send money to wife so could pay here)

& as for here had to pay cash to travel agent & she told me the seat was a special & had to be in the last back section ( this was after being on Thais website 15 min prior where it showed me the whole plane seat lay out at the same price (printed all this & type of plane layout to take to her )

Full of cr*** as well

So now Australia has a security feature that sends an SMS to your or asks for an additional password if online

Normal procedure with most airlines. Be happy they try to protect you against fraud.

Nonsense.

They protect themselves. You are already protected through your credit card company.

Personally, I think what airlines are doing borders on criminal.

If your payment went through and the money was taken off your account, there is nothing else you should be doing. This is how it works with the rest of the things you buy with your credit card.

Why is airline making an exception to this rule?

I try to have an open and empathetic mindset when reading stories concerning the misfortune of others.

Some may opt to judge, scold, nag or otherwise wag a finger. That is their right, but not necessarily fair.

Few years ago I asked my mom to buy me a ticket with her card since I could not do it with my Thai debit card.

I remember that I had to provide (in case they ask) a copy of her ID (both sides), of the card used (both sides except the security number on the back), a letter explaining why she bought it to me, mentioning my name, flight, destination, etc. All of these copies had to be signed and a mobile phone number was provided as well...

This year my company will buy a ticket for me to go home. Then how can I get these documents ? I really doubt that my company will give me a copy of their credit card....

This has been a policy for decade or more on all airlines , it is written on your booking particulars, whether they ask or not is another thing , I just booked for next week and it is pretty plain to see , reason ( for those who came in late ) , , to many kiddies being taken to the check in counter by a fake grandad or mother , or uncle and sent to visit some fictitious relative over sea's ( a Pedo ) never to be seen again,, to stop kiddie trafficking ..............................................coffee1.gif

i went through this when trying to board a flight a few years ago. i spent 2 hours at the airport frantically trying to get the owner of the card that booked my flight to scan her card and email it to the airline. was not able to do it so at the last minute the check in staff made me go photocopy my passport and write on it i have permission from the card holder to buy the flight. on the up side i was so late i got an upgrade to business class. i wont make that mistake again however, was very stresfull.

i think the real problem is with the issuing bank. i have had my credit card temorarily "cancelled" before because its an australian card and i was trying to use it overseas and i hadn't notified the bank i was going overseas. so the bank sees the card trying to be used overseas and automatically put a termporary stop on the card until they can confirm that i am indeed trying to use it overseas. so the bank told me if i am going to travel, notify them first.

I can't blame Air Canada or the CC company or the issuing bank. The blame falls squarely on the head of all those thieves, fraudsters, scammers worldwide who would steal our credit cards and money and use it for their own purpose. Air Canada etc are just trying to keep up but it seems the thieves are always one step ahead.

From the CBC article linked in post #1

His wife, Nantiwa Phoophong, arrived two and half hours prior to the flight's departure at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. ... Because the flight was paid for with Wacher's card, she was told that her husband needed to verify the card with Air Canada before she could board the plane. By the time Wacher called Air Canada, the plane had departed without Phoophong.

So where was he? -- his wife was getting ready to check in at BKK and he was unreachable ... not even planning on a bon voyage phone call

Few years ago I asked my mom to buy me a ticket with her card since I could not do it with my Thai debit card.

I remember that I had to provide (in case they ask) a copy of her ID (both sides), of the card used (both sides except the security number on the back), a letter explaining why she bought it to me, mentioning my name, flight, destination, etc. All of these copies had to be signed and a mobile phone number was provided as well...

This year my company will buy a ticket for me to go home. Then how can I get these documents ? I really doubt that my company will give me a copy of their credit card....

Maybe you should just grow up and stop asking others to buy you a plane ticket!

His wife, Nantiwa Phoophong, arrived two and half hours prior to the flight's departure at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. ... Because the flight was paid for with Wacher's card, she was told that her husband needed to verify the card with Air Canada before she could board the plane. By the time Wacher called Air Canada, the plane had departed without Phoophong.

So where was he? -- his wife was getting ready to check in at BKK and he was unreachable ... not even planning on a bon voyage phone call

As he was on the other side of the planet, he could have been sleeping.

As he was on the other side of the planet, he could have been sleeping.

He can sleep all he wants after he knows that his wife has properly checked in and is about to or has boarded the plane and gives her a nice bon voyage and see you soon.

<snip>

Again from the linked CBC article:

In a statement, Air Canada said large, last minute credit card purchases are often reviewed to prevent fraud.