Air Canada credit card verification policy leaves woman stranded in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a stupid policy if it doesn't make any distinction between unfamiliar people flying to unusual places and family members flywheel Ng to your home.

Saying "he's my husband , here's a copy of our marriage certificate " should have been the end of it.

If I'm in Bkk on Thursday and we decide to go to Tokyo or KL for the weekend, I have to use my wife's card for the first leg to get her to Bkk, or book the only airline that doesn't require I fly with her. AmEx knows enough about me that they don't bother me anymore unless the purchase is unusual. I can fly to NYC spend 6k on a guitar and they can figure out it's me. This Airline is suspicious of a guy flying his wife home?

.....and he will pay......and pay......and pay....

Yes your onto something. Here are a few more clues. Ranch, Alberta. Round up them doggies. Not a bad looker I wonder how much he shelled out in sin sod for this little heifer. Wouldn't mind putting my brand on her myself. Ooops here comes the g/f with the fly swatter AGAIN!!

Edited by elgordo38

When I book for my friends I always book via Expedia.

Because I pay Expedia (an agent) and Expedia pays the airline, the person travelling will never be asked for any credit /debit card verification.

Exactly. When you book through a agent you don't get asked for any details before boarding.... which makes the argument about security totally idiotic.

I cant wait for the DNA testing at airports to verify you are who you say you are. That will be a bundle of fun.

If the airports had security, right now they talk of it but have very little real security in place, then all of this would not be necessary. I should have fun in my travels as I almost never buy the ticket, it is issued by my employing company.

Edited by gandalf12

This is IATA regulations.Basically they are scared that the real owner of the credit card will stop payment...however for an international flight they have the passenger's passport as identification so I do not see what problem they have with this kind of transaction.

Because I pay Expedia (an agent) and Expedia pays the airline, the person travelling will never be asked for any credit /debit card verification.

Exactly. When you book through a agent you don't get asked for any details before boarding.... which makes the argument about security totally idiotic.

I guess the airlines figure that, if you book through Expedia or Orbitz and there is any kind of credit card fraud involved, it then becomes Expedia's or Orbitz's problem and those agents still have to make good on the ticket even if they get stiffed themselves.

Can't wait for a cashless society. It is going to be smooth.

in most countries it already practically is. Not in Thailand of course as people are not as wealthy and do not have credit lines but in the Western countries where do you use cash nowadays? Maybe to buy a coffee or snack, other then that everything is paid for using credit or debit cards.

I realize this is Air Canada/ ANA but some airlines have an even stricter policy than those two airlines mentioned:

(EVA AIR) Payment by Non-passengers

If you used a credit card to purchase a ticket online for another passenger and you will not be traveling with that passenger, then you must complete our credit card verification procedure. If you cannot meet the requirements of our verification procedure, then you may have to buy another ticket. Passengers whose journey originates in Malaysia may not travel on a ticket bought with another person’s credit card.

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/public/credit-card-non-card-holder.html

Many airlines has restrictions on on-line credit card paid tickets, specifying that the credit card used for buying the ticket must be presented at check-in or the ticket is void, and a new ticket has to be bought and paid for; for example Bangkok Airways use to have similar rules, they post it very clearly in red letters before completing booking transaction and payment. If you book and pay with CC a ticket for another person, always contact customer service to get verification cleared in advance.

So ''Man doesn't read airline policy'' is now news. I don't see why Air Canada apologised: this is pretty standard (albeit annoying). Same thing happened to my little cousin: uncle paid for ticket but didn't complete verification procedure (Never made that mistake again)

I can't figure out if this is some weird paid for advertisement for Air Canada or whether it really is just a slow news day unsure.png

And yet Air Canada's system allowed the husband to purchase the ticket.

So ''Man doesn't read airline policy'' is now news. I don't see why Air Canada apologised: this is pretty standard (albeit annoying). Same thing happened to my little cousin: uncle paid for ticket but didn't complete verification procedure (Never made that mistake again)

I can't figure out if this is some weird paid for advertisement for Air Canada or whether it really is just a slow news day unsure.png

Yes -- and the ANA agent at BKK tried for more than 2 hours to contact the guy in Canada whose credit card was used and was only able to make contact after the flight had already departed.

Its the passenger and her husbands fault for not reading the fine print...most airlines have this policy. Air Canada handled this really well, the husband is just an idiot for contacting news agency and making this a big deal.

Normally to verify, you have to fill in a simple form and fax / email copy of credit card and holders ID.

There are too many scams that is why airlines have to implement this policy.

Canadians eh! What a clown. This guy must work for Weatherford. Why doesn't the cheap skate get a joint card with unlimited credit. That's what most sensible falang would do.

If he works for Weatherford I think you have answered your own question

It has always been the standard on most airlines that if you buy on a credit card, then holder of the card should be present for verification. If not, some airlines like Thai Airways have an advance verification form, but the card holder needs to visit their office.

Yeah, but in the boilerplate there should have been something to the effect, "Further verification required of the credit card holder, since he's not the passenger." Often this requires a trip to the local AC ticket office. However, other workarounds do exist, for most airlines. But the bottom line is, the credit card holder has to be verified in order to protect the airline from fraud. If Air Canada's warning is deep in the verbiage, well, buyer beware, I guess.

But, this is certainly a financial, not security, issue for the airlines. For on-line card-not-present purchases (as in this case), the merchant (airline) covers the cost of fraud. If it were a package, one security procedure is for it to be delivered to the billing address. Signing for the package can also protect the merchant. But an airline ticket purchased by a skimmer, for a traveler of a different name -- you bet the airline needs to protect itself. And if it has the paperwork to prove it has done so -- the issuing bank is on the hook (although there have been some contested situations, apparently even involving 'verified by Visa' security (the merchant won)).

There's another reason the airline wants to make darn sure the credit card purchase is by the legitimate card holder. So called "friendly fraud" takes place when a legitimate card holder disputes the purchase ("I never flew that flight."). Thus, without further proof, a chargeback occurs. However, if indeed, it's verified that you indeed flew the flight (or the passenger you bought the ticket for did), then the merchant is off the hook.

So, that's why they ask to see the purchasing credit card when you check in. The below is what I recently had to submit when I checked into Korean Airlines, IAD to CNX:

post-611-0-26016700-1466062594_thumb.jpg

Kinda dumb when -- as someone above suggested -- they already have all your information in their data base courtesy of your passport information. You would think the fact that they can prove you flew that day, and that you purchased a ticket with your credit card for a flight that day -- well, by gosh, you better not try pulling any of that friendly fraud crap. (That paperwork probably goes back a few years -- and actually provides a pretty good 'one stop' verification against friendly fraud.

Anyway, be prepared, particularly if the credit card you're using will expire soon (as someone pointed out). That fact cost me some money, as I had to revert to my non rewards card, due to its soon to expire date.

... And I'll say it one more time and then I'm outa here: If the guy had made himself reasonably available and had the intention of wishing his wife a pleasant flight before embarking on a 3-leg 20+ hour flight, there wouldn't have been any problem as the ANA agent at BKK would have been able to verify the credit card purchase which it seems she/he for 2+ hours was diligently trying to do.

Happens to me regularly.

1. We are travelling separately and I book a flight for my partner maybe two months before the flight. We have to go the the <deleted>' airport to verify the credit card...even though they have been paid!

2. I go to pay a hotel, shop whatever. Sorry your card is declined....security check...even though I called them to say I will be abroad!. I have to call Ireland and get them to unblock the card.

Very messy and often embarrassing.

Can't wait for a cashless society. It is going to be smooth.

Like when a popular mobile app used for payments in Sweden crashed, people couldn't even buy bus tickets as they don't accept cash on buses in Sweden anymore...

I guess the airlines figure that, if you book through Expedia or Orbitz and there is any kind of credit card fraud involved, it then becomes Expedia's or Orbitz's problem and those agents still have to make good on the ticket even if they get stiffed themselves.
Yes exactly, it becomes the agent's problem. These websites match the airline's website price anyway, so I would always go through them when booking for a third party if I am not travelling with them. Otherwise it becomes too complicated (did it before, copy of the card and handwritten I authorise passenger xyz to travel etc).

Too much of a headache.

Edited by lkv

So does airline"policy" only apply to tickets purchased with personal credit cards ????

Anyone ever had to produce a company credit card for verification ???

So this policy means that you cannot do on-line purchases for family members if you are not flying with them . Defeats the purpose of on-line purchases if you then have to go to the local airport, or airline office (if one exists nearby) to provide verification as people have posted .

IF the credit card has been use previously to purchase tickets( for the card holder) , with no hint or suggestion of fraud,why oh why is this verification needed.

So does airline"policy" only apply to tickets purchased with personal credit cards ????

Anyone ever had to produce a company credit card for verification ???

So this policy means that you cannot do on-line purchases for family members if you are not flying with them . Defeats the purpose of on-line purchases if you then have to go to the local airport, or airline office (if one exists nearby) to provide verification as people have posted .

IF the credit card has been use previously to purchase tickets( for the card holder) , with no hint or suggestion of fraud,why oh why is this verification needed.

You can buy. Verification can normally be done via fax or email as well.

... And I'll say it one more time and then I'm outa here: If the guy had made himself reasonably available and had the intention of wishing his wife a pleasant flight before embarking on a 3-leg 20+ hour flight, there wouldn't have been any problem as the ANA agent at BKK would have been able to verify the credit card purchase which it seems she/he for 2+ hours was diligently trying to do.

Promise, only one more time?.....'cause it's obvious this guy missed the fine print about validating his credit card bonafides. The fact that the credit card charge had gone through -- with no call from his bank asking for verification -- would be enough for the average, first time booking his wife with his credit card, joe that everything was kosher. No possible way, with this scenario, would one expect him to hang around for a possible "please verify" phone call. Now, was Air Canada's fine print too fine for the average joe to diciper? Maybe. If not, then the guy fouled up. But without the hindsight of TV hotshots to steer him straight, making himself "reasonably available" doesn't fly (no pun intended - maybe).

Promise, only one more time?.....'cause it's obvious this guy missed the fine print about validating his credit card bonafides. The fact that the credit card charge had gone through -- with no call from his bank asking for verification -- would be enough for the average, first time booking his wife with his credit card, joe that everything was kosher. No possible way, with this scenario, would one expect him to hang around for a possible "please verify" phone call. Now, was Air Canada's fine print too fine for the average joe to diciper? Maybe. If not, then the guy fouled up. But without the hindsight of TV hotshots to steer him straight, making himself "reasonably available" doesn't fly (no pun intended - maybe).

This stupid thing will be challenged in court eventually. Someone with a bit of free time just needs to lawyer up. I mean it's completely idiotic.

Your payment goes through, your obligations towards the airline are fulfilled. Period.

The companies can put all kinds of documents and disclaimers, but that does not make them valid in the court of law.

This stupid thing will be challenged in court eventually. Someone with a bit of free time just needs to lawyer up. I mean it's completely idiotic.

Your payment goes through, your obligations towards the airline are fulfilled. Period.

The companies can put all kinds of documents and disclaimers, but that does not make them valid in the court of law.

I don't see it that way. At the end of the day, they can refuse check in and issue a full refund back to the card used.

I don't believe airlines are obliged to carry passengers if they don't want to.

Edited by lkv