Credit card data stolen by cashier at big department store passed onto farang ATM skimmers

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with Kbank and they notify me by text message as soon as there is a transaction on my card ..great service ..

How much does Kasikorn Bank charge for this SMS service?

I don't know about KBank, Bangkok Bank charges 10 baht per SMS

I am with Kbank and they notify me by text message as soon as there is a transaction on my card ..great service ..

20B per month I think. According to their website there's an "Account Alert Package" and a "Balance Change Alert Package". You activate/deactivate it from an ATM. 'Wish there was a way to activate/deactivate ATM card withdrawals (or set a 0 limit) via a simple online selection so that you could just go online and turn it on only when you plan to get cash (and then go online again to turn it back off). Oh, and I could be wrong about this, but I believe the SMS alert service is ON by default.

I thought it was free: I have never noticed a charge

Happened to me in Bkk years ago, after shopping at high-end stores, a few(!) days later I got a phone call from card security in my home country to ask me whether I was/had been in Japan (no, not) as my card had been blocked for reaching the limit after several purchases in jewelry shops, in Yokohama...

After proving I was genuine, in the end the 'adventure' did cost me nothing, but when I had been travelling from Thailand to Japan, then, I don't know...

I can only assume the credit card that was 'stolen' was issued from a bank other than a Thai bank.

Thai banks visa cards do not guarantee a damn thing.

In many countries Visa offers a guarantee to safeguard against such theft. For example in the US you are responsible for only the first $50 and nothing after that.

I know of a stand up guy, 30 years here, owns million dollar business, and banked with SCB, among others. He lives here. He went on a trip to the USA and while in Chicago his card info was stolen when he used an ATM. Immediately there were charges being made on the card in Miami, San Diego, LA, and other places. It took SCB 4 days to contact him, even though the expenses exceeded his limit EVERY DAY. Their own system checks failed.

He had it shut down immediately. When returned to Bkk went to SCB. The bank filed the report. Nothing happened. They would not reverse the charges. They asked him to prove he was not in 3 places within an hour of each other (obviously it is impossible to make a face to face transaction) and to prove he was in the place he was (Chicago). He did this. Still nothing from SCB. He was out some 300,000 Baht!

After months of trying, the bank finally told him it was not going to happen. They accepted it was fraud but credit cards in Thailand are not given the same protection from VISA as such cards are when issued in, say, the USA.

Finally a friend put him in touch with a senior bank official at SCB and he told bank staff to clear it for the guy. It got done.

Your visa card issued by a Thai Bank is a huge liability.

Not sure about Mastercard but would assume it is same.

Beware.

I have a Bangkok bank account and refused an ATM card or Debit card for this very reason, the only way I can withdraw money is in person in the bank, slightly inconveneint but I can live with it

you kinda helpless are we ?

I have card with Bangkok Bank + have SMS alert service + only transfer money in to that account for use of card, shopping, petrol etc, there is never more than 50,000 baht in that account, at moment just under 20,000, will top it up again next month.

You can also restrict the amount of a single transaction [set mine at 10,000 baht] and or daily withdrawal limit set mine at [20,000 baht].

..sorry...aren't you making yourself a bit of a target by imparting all that personal information on a public forum.

Yes, always keep the card in sight.

I found that out to my cost about five years ago and having watched programmes like the Real Hustle I never let my card out of my sight.

And I never use my business account card or my savings account cards at all.

Surely if you don't want ATM facilities on a new bank account you can just shred the card?

This seems to be a Big C-redit card fraud operation. Always pay by cash to be on the safe side. I do have a savings account with Bangkok Bank that has a debit card attached with it in case of emergencies and only keep a small balance in there.

How do Bekasau Vadzim and Bekau Aliaksandr waltz into an up-market store and buy gear with a dodgy card? Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases - surely they didn't use their own.

And why didn't they just use ATMs to get cash?

Really? I've never been asked to produce my passport while purchasing @ Big C, grocery or other items.

I don't know about KBank, Bangkok Bank charges 10 baht per SMS

Think you will find it is 10 baht a month not 10 baht per SMS.

How do Bekasau Vadzim and Bekau Aliaksandr waltz into an up-market store and buy gear with a dodgy card? Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases - surely they didn't use their own.

They have probably used the cards on Internet and get a delivery to a choosen adress. Very simple if you think little bit.

I have card with Bangkok Bank + have SMS alert service + only transfer money in to that account for use of card, shopping, petrol etc, there is never more than 50,000 baht in that account, at moment just under 20,000, will top it up again next month.

You can also restrict the amount of a single transaction [set mine at 10,000 baht] and or daily withdrawal limit set mine at [20,000 baht].

..sorry...aren't you making yourself a bit of a target by imparting all that personal information on a public forum.

Where do you see any personal information??? Just another useless comment!

"Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases" Are they? I have never been asked to produce my passport on a cc purchase.

"And why didn't they just use ATMs to get cash?" Maybe no PIN required for credit card payments, but required for cash withdrawal?

The problem is... my credit card also requires a pin. In my home country I keep possesion of my card and the cashier will use a wireless card machine on which I need to enter my pin. In Thailand they do not use wireless card machines so I need to hand over my card... and they swipe instead of dip the card, so no pin is required. Thailand is ripe for this type of crime.

...Credit Card Stolen By Thai Cashier....

...stop pretending it's the foreigners that are committing all the crimes.....

...foreigners can do nothing in Thailand without the aid and guidance....or misguidance of Thais......

..that's the reality.....

Excuse me, but you must be a very misguided person. Othervise you just have to much time writing bullshit.

Let´s hope your other comments and post are not of the same standard like this totally stupid one.

To make it simple for you. Everyday you here that forigners and thais make criminal acts in Thailand, so I do not for a little bit understand your comment over pretenting that foreigners committs all the crimes in Thailand.

Please just read the news and maby you will understand how fatally wrong you are.

Over just this crime committed there are most probable that the foreigners have been contacting thai people working in department and grocery shops, and offered them a specific sum of money to do this. As we all know, the thai salurys in this line of work is not very high. I guess they find a lot that are willing all the time.

I've never ever been asked to produce a passport when making a credit card purchase.

Where have you been shopping?

The police really should be naming the store so that people who have shopped there recently and used their cards can check with their banks to make sure they've not fallen victim to this- it's vaguely ridiculous that they're keeping the store's name secret.

There seems to be some confusion here between ATM/debit cards and credit cards.

Never in all my time in Thailand have I had a problem with a Thai Bank issued ATM card. However, with only one exception, I have only used my ATM for withdrawing money from ATM machines.

Now with Thai Bank issued credit cards it is a different story. I have had my card skimmed twice but in both cases the bank was on top of it and the charges were blocked. The bank really seemed to be on top of things and immediately called me about a suspicious transaction of 120 Baht. Pain in the bum waiting for a replacement card though. On another occasion someone else's air tickets were charged to my card (the purchaser had the same first and last names as me but different middle initial), however, I put that down to the website I used for by my own air tickets. Took 90 days to get resolved but I was not charged.

All my cards were issued in Thailand. I have no foreign bank issued cards.

...Credit Card Stolen By Thai Cashier....

...stop pretending it's the foreigners that are committing all the crimes.....

...foreigners can do nothing in Thailand without the aid and guidance....or misguidance of Thais......

..that's the reality.....

The only one who is pretending it is foreigners who commit all the crimes is you.

Also, when you open new savings accounts some Thai banks will try to tell you it's now compulsory for all new savings accounts to have an ATM card.

This is incorrect, there is no such law or regulation from the Bank of Thailand, and banks cannot make their own rules on this matter.

One of my Thai MBA students, now almost completed her Ph.D. owns and operates a Law, Accounting, Tax Business agency, She quite often personally takes new foreign and Thai clients to various agencies, including banks, to get certificates, business licenses, bank accounts etc., started.

She told me she's encountered this 'ATM compulsory' statement at several high profile banks. She is always very polite but she has no hesitation to say 'that's not correct', 'show me proof', 'never mind we will go to another bank', etc.

She has encountered the old ' no we don't have bank application forms in English because it's illegal in Thailand' many times. She calls the HO of the banks and says plainly 'your staff at xxxx branch are refusing new business'.

She also insists that she write all the details on the application forms with her customer watching her, or the new customer write the app. form and tells the bank officer to NOT start any activity to enter things into the bank computer etc, until the new customer has signed the application form. If bank service officer insists on new customer signing blank application forms she takes her customer to another bank.

Another one is banks service / new account staff saying they have to record the ATM PIN no. in their own private records. She has no hesitation to say to her new customers, 'let's go to another bank'.

She often advises people to:

- Have one ATM card but keep the balance very low. Or have no ATM cards, plenty of small banking offices open till 7 pm / 8 pm most days of the year.

- Have a credit card but watch it every second of the time:

- If staff have to go to the back room to process the card transaction take the card back immediately and cancel the transaction.

- Ask for proof that the card machine in the store prints xxxx xxxx xxxx 1234 and does not print all the 16 actual card numbers (it's now illegal in Thailand for the CC machine to print the full 16 actual numbers).

- Also, If the above is true ask whether the cashier is going to hand write the card holders name, card no., expiry date, security no., in another book (some stores do this - one of the biggest DIY stores claims it has to do this by law. Not true and illegal). If they do it, cancel the transaction and walk out.

- And set up SMS alerts for all transactions.

- My student has a friend in a Singapore consulting company which is quite involved in banking etc., security systems, she says the security with Thai banks who offer internet banking is quite good. She suggests to clients to use this but if they have multiple accounts don't put all the accounts under one internet banking account, and don't put the business / personal accounts with very large balances under the internet banking and keep these account books under personal lock and key.

- When you withdraw cash away from your own branch usually the bank teller wants a photo copy of your passport. Ask to see the teller make the copy and ensure there is only one copy and hand write all over it full details of the actual transaction: 'withdraw xxxBaht at xxx branch, city, time and date, etc. leave no blank areas with no hand writing, and sign in big writing over the top of the other hand written details. Why? There have been cases of bank staff secretly keeping a second copy to use to start health insurance scams, etc, etc.

Very useful information THX for sharing.

There seems to be some confusion here between ATM/debit cards and credit cards.

Never in all my time in Thailand have I had a problem with a Thai Bank issued ATM card. However, with only one exception, I have only used my ATM for withdrawing money from ATM machines.

Now with Thai Bank issued credit cards it is a different story. I have had my card skimmed twice but in both cases the bank was on top of it and the charges were blocked. The bank really seemed to be on top of things and immediately called me about a suspicious transaction of 120 Baht. Pain in the bum waiting for a replacement card though. On another occasion someone else's air tickets were charged to my card (the purchaser had the same first and last names as me but different middle initial), however, I put that down to the website I used for by my own air tickets. Took 90 days to get resolved but I was not charged.

All my cards were issued in Thailand. I have no foreign bank issued cards.

Yes, I think you are correct. As for the fraudsters, they try with a small transaction , as with your 120B, and if that works they move on to bigger things. And of course the banks and airlines are careful about tickets/names/showing cards ( as per the discussion in another thread) because they are prime targets.

"Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases" Are they? I have never been asked to produce my passport on a cc purchase.

"And why didn't they just use ATMs to get cash?" Maybe no PIN required for credit card payments, but required for cash withdrawal?

The problem is... my credit card also requires a pin. In my home country I keep possesion of my card and the cashier will use a wireless card machine on which I need to enter my pin. In Thailand they do not use wireless card machines so I need to hand over my card... and they swipe instead of dip the card, so no pin is required. Thailand is ripe for this type of crime.

In Thailand for some machines and online transactions a pin is required, in some (I would think most) not.

Yes, to swipe you hand over the card, but it easy to see what is happening with the card. I always make sure my customers see what I do with the card, and when I pay with my credit card I make sure I always keep it in sight.

But I have yet to see an ATM where no PIN is required.

So your post only underlines my post.

Edited by stevenl

Also, when you open new savings accounts some Thai banks will try to tell you it's now compulsory for all new savings accounts to have an ATM card.

This is incorrect, there is no such law or regulation from the Bank of Thailand, and banks cannot make their own rules on this matter.

One of my Thai MBA students, now almost completed her Ph.D. owns and operates a Law, Accounting, Tax Business agency, She quite often personally takes new foreign and Thai clients to various agencies, including banks, to get certificates, business licenses, bank accounts etc., started.

She told me she's encountered this 'ATM compulsory' statement at several high profile banks. She is always very polite but she has no hesitation to say 'that's not correct', 'show me proof', 'never mind we will go to another bank', etc.

She has encountered the old ' no we don't have bank application forms in English because it's illegal in Thailand' many times. She calls the HO of the banks and says plainly 'your staff at xxxx branch are refusing new business'.

She also insists that she write all the details on the application forms with her customer watching her, or the new customer write the app. form and tells the bank officer to NOT start any activity to enter things into the bank computer etc, until the new customer has signed the application form. If bank service officer insists on new customer signing blank application forms she takes her customer to another bank.

Another one is banks service / new account staff saying they have to record the ATM PIN no. in their own private records. She has no hesitation to say to her new customers, 'let's go to another bank'.

- Have one ATM card but keep the balance very low. Or have no ATM cards, plenty of small banking offices open till 7 pm / 8 pm most days of the year.

- If staff have to go to the back room to process the card transaction take the card back immediately and cancel the transaction.

- Ask for proof that the card machine in the store prints xxxx xxxx xxxx 1234 and does not print all the 16 actual card numbers (it's now illegal in Thailand for the CC machine to print the full 16 actual numbers).

- Also, If the above is true ask whether the cashier is going to hand write the card holders name, card no., expiry date, security no., in another book (some stores do this - one of the biggest DIY stores claims it has to do this by law. Not true and illegal). If they do it, cancel the transaction and walk out.

- My student has a friend in a Singapore consulting company which is quite involved in banking etc., security systems, she says the security with Thai banks who offer internet banking is quite good. She suggests to clients to use this but if they have multiple accounts don't put all the accounts under one internet banking account, and don't put the business / personal accounts with very large balances under the internet banking and keep these account books under personal lock and key.

- When you withdraw cash away from your own branch usually the bank teller wants a photo copy of your passport. Ask to see the teller make the copy and ensure there is only one copy and hand write all over it full details of the actual transaction: 'withdraw xxxBaht at xxx branch, city, time and date, etc. leave no blank areas with no hand writing, and sign in big writing over the top of the other hand written details. Why? There have been cases of bank staff secretly keeping a second copy to use to start health insurance scams, etc, etc.

My student just reminded me of one more point she emphasizes to her new clients; refuse to sign blank deposit or withdrawal or transfer documents. Insist that the teller print the details on the appropriate document, check it and then sign it.

Further some tellers will insist they cannot print such documents in English. Not true, they can all print these documents in either Thai or English. In fact by Thai law banks must accept and respond to these documents in Thai or where requested in English. Some banks can also do it in standard Chinese characters.

If the teller has to print the withdrawal etc., documents again (e.g. change it to English language), then the customer should take the wrong document and personally rip it up and throw it away elsewhere.

Also, if the teller tries to give the customer the customer copy of the 'completed' document and it doesn't have a bank stamp, then insist on the stamp being added.

A recent incident - bank staff (mainstream Thai bank) tried to tell a farang customer that he can no longer walk in with just his credit card and some cash and make a payment on his credit card.

Staff said 'new rule' - customer now has to take a cash advance then use that cash to make a payment on his credit card, can't pay it any other way.

A call to the bank HO in Bkk soon confirmed there is no such policy whatever, in reality no bank would ever make it difficult or complex for the customer to make a payment on a CC, they want their money as soon as possible because of risk factors. Also if the card was full then the customer could not take a cash advance. whole concept illogical and a professional bank would never get themselves into such a situation.

Senior bank officer from Bkk then spoke to the teller on the phone for a lengthy period with the teller saying 'kor tort ka' numerous times (sorry / excuse me).

Customer went to same branch the next day for something else, same teller not there and never seen again (but maybe moved to another branch or to an inactive post).

Edited by scorecard

Skimming is easy with cards that have magnetic strips.

Unfortunately even with cards that have chips they still have magnetic strips for use in backward countries that do not use the more secure Chip & Pin.

Exactly, if they actually used the chip all the time then none of this would happen.

In Thailand for some machines and online transactions a pin is required, in some (I would think most) not.

Yes, to swipe you hand over the card, but it easy to see what is happening with the card. I always make sure my customers see what I do with the card, and when I pay with my credit card I make sure I always keep it in sight.

Yes... I do agree with your post. Did it appear that I was disputing it?

I do doubt that in Thailand you never let your card out of sight though. For example if one takes clients to a fancy restaurant at a hotel... and pay with a card, do you get up from the table and walk across to where the static machine is (sometimes at reception)? I have never seen a diner do that I Thailand. And that is why when Thailand joins the modern world and gets wireless machines it will be much safer.

"Neither the name of the store or how many staff are involved was mentioned"

I understand they want to protect the store, but I think the name should have been revealed. If it hurts the store, I hope in turn they hurt their crook employees for real, so others will take notice.

Yes... I do agree with your post. Did it appear that I was disputing it?

I do doubt that in Thailand you never let your card out of sight though. For example if one takes clients to a fancy restaurant at a hotel... and pay with a card, do you get up from the table and walk across to where the static machine is (sometimes at reception)? I have never seen a diner do that I Thailand. And that is why when Thailand joins the modern world and gets wireless machines it will be much safer.

Yes, I did get that impression, but no worries.

I make sure I keep the card in sight all the time.

I have a Bangkok bank account and refused an ATM card or Debit card for this very reason, the only way I can withdraw money is in person in the bank, slightly inconveneint but I can live with it

you kinda helpless are we ?

why bother ?

While I am here, the ANZ will SMS any transactions without me asking , looks like Thailand's reputation is well known..............cheesy.gif They will also ask for verification if you go into a bank out side the state, in which you live in OZ ,to withdraw funds so I am told, and the nice lady who told me that is 94, so everyone is suspect these days.