Police visit

Had a visit from the local police this morning,they came with a form that was headed "Transnational Crime Coordination Unit Region 5 (tccu r5)".

They wanted to know name,nationality,DOB,monthly income,mother and fathers name ,telephone number,height,weight,hair colour,any scars,date of marriage place of marriage etc.,any one else had any visits like this?

What the hell? seriously this is normal here? I am on my second year extension and never had this. So in future I really have to be aware that some Special Police unit will come by and interrogate me?

Might happen, who knows.

If you are not at home they will interrogate neighbors about you.

Don't forget what country/regime you live in.

Never had any visits in 5 years (Khon Kaen).

They forgot me sad.pnggigglem.gif

Maybe I have to be patient or simply I am hidden too good tongue.png

"Campaign" running since at least 2010, some things need a little longer:

http://pattayadailynews.com/thailand-begin-transnational-criminal-investigations/

Bad boys suspected in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket preferably.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

We are supposed to report the the local police when moving in, and they are supposed to keep a record of all the foreigners in their area. These visits have happened to others and are probably just the local police updating their records and or retrospectively covering the back sides!

• Like 1

What the hell? seriously this is normal here? I am on my second year extension and never had this. So in future I really have to be aware that some Special Police unit will come by and interrogate me?

Might happen, who knows.

If you are not at home they will interrogate neighbors about you.

Don't forget what country/regime you live in.

Never had any visits in 5 years (Khon Kaen).

They forgot me sad.pnggigglem.gif

Maybe I have to be patient or simply I am hidden too good tongue.png

"Campaign" running since at least 2010, some things need a little longer:

http://pattayadailynews.com/thailand-begin-transnational-criminal-investigations/

Bad boys suspected in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket preferably.

The police asking my neighbors who I don't know about me sounds seriously creepy indeed. Then again, they would have fewer neighbors to interview now that three whole sets have left in recent months.

How would they know to come though (apart from the fact I wrote my address on my incoming passenger form)? My moo baan has a lot of western residents though and possibly even one African guy. Haven't had anyone come by and hope there never will be - I do read a lot of reports about farang living upcountry that do get their fair share of visits.

• Like 2

Many years ago the police from our district office came and asked some questions about me, my memory is vague about it, but as I recall I was away, they left a form I had to fill out and then they returned to pick it up. It was at least ten years ago.

These visits do happen, usually with first application on applying for extension based on marriage. A newly arrived Brit in town had a visit from Phitsanulok Imm. That's a 500km round trip. He paid 3000 Baht for fuel and meal expenses, there were three officers. After interviewing his wife, at first separately then together and some general chat the youngest Imm Officer commented "we like to drink brandy in the evenings".

• Like 2

I remember years ago when I first went to live in France, the Renseignements Generaux came to visit me and asked me all sorts of questions. The RG was the Intelligence Service of the Police. When I moved half way across the country a short time later, they came again. Partly they checked on the then visa situation, my finances etc. I don't remember being asked about scars though. Shame, because one of them was rather scrumpy and I wouldn't have minded.

I don't find it such a bad thing (in Thailand). It should mean that if there is a baddie around, he will be found. And God knows there are some around.

• Like 1

Okay imagine they never do these visits. As soon as something goes wrong there would be out cries of people criticizing the police for not checking people out. I don't think it is that unreasonable that they want to check out foreigners who move to Thailand. Some of the questions such as scars etc. are a bit much but over all it seems okay. Remember it is a privilege to live in a foreign country not a right.

There must be 100s of thousands, possibly more than a million expats here. They're not going to go around checking everyone like this. And they already have the basic information they might need from the forms you submitted for you visa and extensions. My guess is that maybe 1 in a thousand expats will ever get this visit. And for those there is likely something that raised their suspicion. Like maybe you might be someone they are looking for. I've never encountered anything like this and don't know anyone who has. Notice the name includes the words international crime?

• Like 1

For me is this visit normal. It is an officer from local Police living not far from us. (Amphoe Phi Mai) We know him like a friend since many years. He has the a form with the names and pssportphotos of farangs living here in this Tambon. He has the order to visit them once a month, take a photo from the passport and from the farang and ask the family and the neighbours, everything ok with the farang? We know him very well, so he told, he would come only all two or thre months to us. And so he does since about two years.

Edited by stommeln11
  • Like 1

One time in ten years!

I have the Immigration polis here, after I needed to use a married visa.

But did not fill in any paper.

I live in Nakhon sawan,

really a good Immigration here, never any problem.

only frustration on all this paperwork.lol

• Like 1

Okay imagine they never do these visits. As soon as something goes wrong there would be out cries of people criticizing the police for not checking people out. I don't think it is that unreasonable that they want to check out foreigners who move to Thailand. Some of the questions such as scars etc. are a bit much but over all it seems okay. Remember it is a privilege to live in a foreign country not a right.

There must be 100s of thousands, possibly more than a million expats here. They're not going to go around checking everyone like this. And they already have the basic information they might need from the forms you submitted for you visa and extensions. My guess is that maybe 1 in a thousand expats will ever get this visit. And for those there is likely something that raised their suspicion. Like maybe you might be someone they are looking for. I've never encountered anything like this and don't know anyone who has. Notice the name includes the words international crime?

These visits are nothing to do with people being under "suspicion". They are simply the local police updating their records. Anyone, especially living in the provinces, can get a visit at anytime, but the local police already know where most of us live.