Internationa Thail Driving licence valid in Germany?

Me and my Thai gf planning to go to Germany next week for vacation. Therefore I told her to get an International Driving licence, so we both can drive a rented car there. Now she just got the International licence today, but on the list of contracting parties of the convention on Road traffic (1949) Germany is not listed. All other german neighbour countries (eg. Austria, Denmark, Switzerland, Poland, Netherlands etc) are listed, but not Germany. Does anyone know the reason why? Is she allowed to drive a car there during our holidays or not? How to do?

I don't know about Germany, but I've never had an issue using my Thai license to rent cars in the US, never been asked for an International one.

On a side note, I generally use my Thai one rather than my US one because the rental companies often give a better rate if you use a foreign license. My rental broker of choice being rentalcars.com....little plug there, since I really find them exceptional value

An often discussed topic in German language forums.

Unfortunately there are two different types of international driving permits (IDP).

One based on a 1949 agreement another on a 1968 agreement.

Thailand, Austria and USA (e.g.) issue on the 1949 agreement.

Germany and Switzerland issue on the 1968 basis.

Both have five classes A to E with very subtle difference.

Silly but true wink.png

BUT: the WiKi as well as many statements in the forums etc. claim that a 1949 IDP (aka. "Thai IDP" is acknowledged/honored for temporary use/visitors in Germany and Switzerland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

(linking to German language sources is not helpful here)

According to Wiki, Germany is not party to the 1949 convention but does honour IDP's.

Quicker and shorter biggrin.png

And as written it is consistent with many sources from German language Thailand forums etc.

Dodo---apprise your Thai wife to "get in touch with her inner demons..."

To wit---as you approach your first stretch of autobahn in Germany, swap driver's seats.

Let your gal rip at about 235kmph---and she'll he passed!!!

Your gal will drive with aplomb for the duration of your journey.

Report back with smiles....

Rental Companies can reject a Thai Licence in the name of a Thai.They know theThai test is a farce,but tend to accept a Ferang with one.They ask me did i pass in Europe,then its o.k.They are not obliged to rent if they dont trust a person.