Thailand's beer: What are you drinking?

webfact

My favourite was Chang Export before it disappeared.

Now Cheers Riceberry and Federbräu.

Federbräu comes very close to good German beer.

For the major brands available I prefer Leo.

Hacklberg Jakobi Hell (Wheat beer) is starting to show up at many bars in the Sukhumvit area. Apparently Thailand is the only country outside of Germany that has this currently distributed. It is an amazing beer. If you get a chance to try it, do so. Hopefully we will see it at many more locations around Thailand soon.

Hacklberg Jakobi Hell (Wheat beer) is starting to show up at many bars in the Sukhumvit area. Apparently Thailand is the only country outside of Germany that has this currently distributed. It is an amazing beer. If you get a chance to try it, do so. Hopefully we will see it at many more locations around Thailand soon.

A promising sign. The day they'll have Augustiner Edelstoff here I'll be a happy man. Not going to be soon though, hard enough to find outside Munich.

Have heard rumours of Formaldehyde being used as a strilising/preservative agent in beers in Thailand.

The other day I was talking with a Norwegian friend who is in the contamination clear up industry here in Thailand, who confirmed to me that formaldehyde is indeed used in the brewing process in Thailand for the purposes mentioned above, as he often works with the beer companies in supplying a clean up bacterial product to the brewing companies.

You have not answered the question which <deleted> should we drink ?

All this talk of beer nearly made me want to take up drinking again! l did say nearly!

When l used to imbibe l preferred either Heineken or Tiger.

l liked Chang initially but then found it too sweet. Did they change the recipe or did my tastes change? Me not know.

Singha was a bit too bitter, Beerlao an excellent light lager, but l didn't like Leo at all.

Just my two bob's worth.

I was buying beer lao from 7/11 when available or leo when not; haven't seen beer lao in 7/11 for a while.

Don't enjoy Singh or Chang. In a pub I might drink Tiger.

Back in the day, when the choices were Kloster, Singh and Singh Gold I drank the latter. What ever happened to Singh Gold?

l liked Chang initially but then found it too sweet. Did they change the recipe or did my tastes change? Me not know.

They change the recipes here every decade or so, even provinces seems to have differences. About five years ago the Chang Export near Khon Kaen was alright, then suddenly the supply completely stopped and next thing you knew it was virtually impossible to distinguish it from Chang Classic.

Anybody remember Pattaya Beer? I was their first retail customer (literally, I was there when the first batch from Laos came to the owner near the Lotus next to Numchai and even went to their launch event later at Cape Dara) and tasted my way through their effort from Beer Savan to what regrettably turned into a Heineken copy down the road. What a pity, the first batches were quite good.

• Like 1

I was drinking Singh when I first came mostly because it was what I drank at Thai restaurants in the U.S. Then, about 3 years ago my wife and I were having lunch in a small Lana place in CM and for the hell of it I asked if they had a dark beer. To my utter surprise, the young server produced Beer Lao Dam and I was further amazed as it was as good as some of the better German Dunkels. Alas, like all good things it is now very difficult to find so I stopped drinking. Chilled filtered water with a little lime is actually a very nice drink.

"Everyone has missed the Elephant in the room and I don't mean Chang. Singh Light. This is a low, relatively, alcohol beer. Due to vario0us medical conditions, Dr's. recommended me to cut down on my beer drinking, 1 even went as far as suggesting that I stick to Singha Light, saying it would be better for me. So many years ago I switched to it. I found that I no longer had thick heads in the mornings, I could jump out of bed easily even after a big night. I have found that I can easily drink 12 bottles of it with zero ill effects. A major plus is that even after 12 I am not drunk, yes I get the buzz so I have a good night but none of the issues normally associated. Its the biggest selling beer in the Pattaya area, unfortunately in other parts of Thailand it can be hard to get."

I think I may have found the cause of your problems! whistling.gif

Been drinking Red Lion made by San Miguel,6% and a nice taste. You have to look for it tho because label is in Thai. 49b a great deal so check it out

Think you mean Red Horse,

post-39258-0-88988500-1466263388_thumb.j

Disgusting vile stuff, tramp juice.

From reading this thread it would appear all the tramp juice disgusting crap seems popular.

Good gawd, Cheers Extra, Red Horse, surprised no one as mentioned Archa.

I ask myself why are none of these Tramp Juice beers ever sold in bars or hotels?

You wanna offer some confirmed suggestions of where exactly this one might be found at present???

It's obviously called something else in Thai as that label doesn't read "Maa Daeng" to me!
Oh just looked again and it's a direct transliteration reading something like "Red Ools"(Or Ang,Or Ang,Lor Ling,Sor Sua)! cheesy.gif

Edited by MyFrenU