Thailand's beer: What are you drinking?

webfact

For a change I bought some Hoegaarden this week , even my TW likes it and 45B a bottle where I buy it from .

where are you buying hoegaarden for 45b per bottle?? do tell

in dream. not in Thailandclap2.gif

• Like 1

Thai beer is a light, refreshing drink, best served with ice, with the bonus effect of getting you pissed. That doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's different to beers from some other places.

bah.giffacepalm.gif

No coments

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For a change I bought some Hoegaarden this week , even my TW likes it and 45B a bottle where I buy it from .

where are you buying hoegaarden for 45b per bottle?? do tell

in dream. not in Thailandclap2.gif

Yep I thought so....

I just came back from nong khai and even in the duty free place it was 75b compared to 130b in makro (plus, who knows if the laos border one is even genuine!)

• 1 month later...

Interesting to read the thread here, thanks, I wrote the original article, and yeah, I still like the Cheers brand, their blue and riceberry labels are my beers of choice. I don't guzzle beer every night in Thailand. I get up at 5am and travel across the city by bus to teach young learners, can't be doing with hangovers, but I do like a beer in the evening and found that Thai beers often give us a fuzzy head the next day. Cheers doesn't seem to do that, to me, at least. Just got back from Laos and sampled a few of their national brews. Terrific stuff. The "Leo Dark" was an editing mistake in the article should have been "Lao dark" but after drinking a few with one of my German friends I think I might prefer the "ordinary LaoBeer".... Also after writing the article the Thai craft beer revolution came to my attention. There's even an Udom Suk brewary which is right around the corner from where I live. So lots of local beers to try out locallly..... But best of of, during a local trip to Makro, stumbled across a supply of Fullers, London Pride.
Now if I can find HONEY DEW the world will be perfect.
Cheers,
JN.       

Edited by udomsook

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:34 AM, soc said:

VB is good but l always preferred Fosters.

Also liked Swan Draught & in latter years Fourex Gold.

Tasmania also produces some good beers.

We do/did have some horrors though!

Who ever remembers KB Lager or Resch's Bitter.

l would rather had NOT drunk/drank than drink those two revolting brews.!

Back in the 70s l remember the joy of finding a pub in London that sold Swan Lager.

From then on, l was one of their best customers until l left the UK.

I remember drinking Swan in London in the 70's - tried it after seeing it in a Barry McKenzie film. Lovely stuff but never saw ot in a pub, only in off-licences in Earls Court.

• 2 weeks later...

20 odd years ago you had the choice of singha, Carlsberg, klosters and amarit, I didn't like singha then and I don't like it now. Amarit and klosters were alright but not that readily available so I mostly drank Carlsberg back then.

Nowadays I prefer leo to any of the other mainstream beers having said that I don't mind tiger or beer lao but I won't drink singha I don't like the taste of heinekin and chang would give me a hangover on par with stella.

In the uk I drink red stripe a Jamaican beer I find it refreshing and it goes down like water.

Depending on how hot it is will depend on whether I put ice in my beer, I don't like warm lager I think it is wrong and people who drink warm lager need their head examined.

I prefer to drink American craft beer at 330++ Baht for 330 ml bottle.

That's because I am hip and have not only hair but half a bottle of hairgel applied liberally to my carefully sculpted spiky protrusions which match my daily trimmed beard to perfection.

I usually can be recognised by the smears of gel on my skinny jeans too.

Pass me the newest IPA...do you have a "rare" one for 450++ Baht? 

Just cos I can eh?

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smokie36 said:

I prefer to drink American craft beer at 330++ Baht for 330 ml bottle.

That's because I am hip and have not only hair but half a bottle of hairgel applied liberally to my carefully sculpted spiky protrusions which match my daily trimmed beard to perfection.

I usually can be recognised by the smears of gel on my skinny jeans too.

Pass me the newest IPA...do you have a "rare" one for 450++ Baht? 

Just cos I can eh?

I only drink my beer out of jam jars and eat my food out of an ashtray!

• Like 1

You will do well here...most young Thai chicks love to guzzle 600 Baht cocktails from those jars....my granny would have been filling her bag up come late July and making the finest jam in the world.

She can still drain a Grouse and lemonade inside a minute bless her 93 and still bright as a button!

• Like 1

Finally broke down and ordered CM red truck IPA from wish beer. I live in CM and would like to buy it here but 2 months of searching always got no have. It's a pretty good IPA and I'll buy it again,hopefully not from wish beer because I'll continue looking here in CM. anybody know who carries it in CM?

8 hours ago, augustwest said:

Finally broke down and ordered CM red truck IPA from wish beer. I live in CM and would like to buy it here but 2 months of searching always got no have. It's a pretty good IPA and I'll buy it again,hopefully not from wish beer because I'll continue looking here in CM. anybody know who carries it in CM?

If you like IPA you should get yourself to Tops Market and buy some Proper Job,a Cornish (UK) IPA that is the best I've tasted!

2 minutes ago, augustwest said:

Thanks for the tip. Have you tasted CM RedTruck best I've had in Thailand . In the states my favorite was dogfish head IPA 3 types I preferred the middle one . The top one tasted like grappa

Can't say I have but it's Thai beer brewed in Thailand right?

Can't say I have but it's Thai beer brewed in Thailand right?

I believe it is brewed in Laos under the CM name. I've had 2 so far and it's the first brew I enjoy drinking and not to get pissed. It's a damn good IPA, makes beer Lao almost like water. Try it you won't be disappointed. Wish I could find where to buy in CM. wishbeer adds VAT to price but they had a special- free shipping. Glad I bought it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 18/06/2016 at 11:25 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Federbrau is (allegedly) brewed in accordance with the German purity law of 1516. So in theory you should be able to drink it from now until the end of time and never get a hangover.

We were in a restaurant in Tak tonight where the only beer available was Chang or Federbrau. The waiter pronounced it but we had never heard of it, usually sticking to wine.

Don't like Chang so went for the Federbrau.

Very nice. Wife thought so too. Had three bottles. We await to see what the dawn brings before can give any comment on after effects.

• Like 1

We were in a restaurant in Tak tonight where the only beer available was Chang or Federbrau. The waiter pronounced it but we had never heard of it, usually sticking to wine.
Don't like Chang so went for the Federbrau.

Very nice. Wife thought so too. Had three bottles. We await to see what the dawn brings before can give any comment on after effects.
Federbräu recently my #1 and preferred choice. Switched also from Leo to San Miguel Light. Still like Leo but SML is somehow easier to drink and I like the additional lemon.