Some banks have quite intrusive procedures.

Presented at a Kasicorn Bank branch at a country town close to the northern border to exchange a $100 note.

As well as the usual copy passport, they photographed me.

Too bad if I value privacy.

A side note, this was a banknote rejected from another bank due to a small ink scribble on one side.

The second bank teller only looked on one side of the note and didn't notice it.

If bringing cash from your country bring unmarked and preferably new notes.

And if possible, smaller ones. I've noticed over the years that USD100 and GBP50 are often treated with suspicion whereas smaller ones are not. I usually have GBP20 notes and never have a problem.

I do agree with bringing only unmarked and preferably new notes. At the very least, clean ones and certainly none with any tears or holes.

Edited by VBF

Kasikorn Bank is a real pain in the [beep] about banknotes. The tiniest stain or tear I can't even see without my glasses on and the note is rejected.

AFAIK they're the only bank so picky. Every time I come from Europe and deposit my Euros on my KBANK account, I know for sure that 1 note out of 10 on average will be rejected. So right after I'm done with them, I walk to the TMB branch just next where they happily change these notes to Bahts. This gives me enough cash for my first week...

Edited by Lannig

And if possible, smaller ones. I've noticed over the years that USD100 and GBP50 are often treated with suspicion whereas smaller ones are not. I usually have GBP20 notes and never have a problem.

I do agree with bringing only unmarked and preferably new notes. At the very least, clean ones and certainly none with any tears or holes.

smaller notes get worse rates.

I used to bring Swiss 1000 CHF notes. saves space!

Never had any problem with 50EUR notes myself.

well TBH I've not personally had any issues but I've seen others refused and a couple of trusted friends have had £50 notes refused so I'm erring on the cautious side.

Without wishing to stoke any fires, I've several times observed people from certain ethnic groups refused at the money changers with large denomination notes. I rather think that there's an element of profiling going on there. whistling.gif Please don't shoot the messenger - that was merely an observation!

I must admit that there is a difference in rate between different note sizes but it appears minimal in the case of GBP

Oh and, I would always suggest changing foreign currency at money-changers, rather than at banks - better rate and usually they take a copy of your PP but there's no other paperwork.

Edited by VBF

In my case it was the Bangkok Bank branch which refused the marked note.

I do a bit of body language study these days.

I know you need a cluster (3 or more related events of body language) but I swore the smile she gave me when she handed back the note was "I've got you there".

At the other bank I thought taking my photo was a bit over the top for an exchange transaction. Something I'd expect in a communist country.

Edited by rockyysdt

Kasikorn Bank is a real pain in the [beep] about banknotes. The tiniest stain or tear I can't even see without my glasses on and the note is rejected.

AFAIK they're the only bank so picky. Every time I come from Europe and deposit my Euros on my KBANK account, I know for sure that 1 note out of 10 on average will be rejected. So right after I'm done with them, I walk to the TMB branch just next where they happily change these notes to Bahts. This gives me enough cash for my first week...

YES! Kasikorn is fanatical about tiny tears on foreign banknotes. After putting up with this a couple of times I started changing money at Superrich and got a better exchange rate too.

dont forget to check the notes are not out of date the uk seems to change and discontinue them every few year

dont forget to check the notes are not out of date the uk seems to change and discontinue them every few year

The UK changes banknotes once every 10 years or so (apart from the £50 which have longer intervals between chsnges).

£50 - Issued 1994 - Withdrawn 2014

£20 - Issued 1999 - Withdrawn 2010

£10 - Issued 1992 - Withdrawn 2003

£5 - Issued 1990 - Withdrawn 2003