What Animal in CM Bites Like This During The Raining Season, Every Year? Torture!

WonderousWand

Please have a look at this photo.

I have traveled widely, but never before been bitten like this.

Last year, the doctors and pharmacy told me they do not know what Animal it might be.

Once bit, it is excruciatingly uncomfortable, and lasts over 2 weeks.

Don't tell me mosquitoes.

Also, it is NOT inside my house.

Repellants don't work.

My only solution, if I want to sit outside during the raining season, is to wear heavy duty zip lock bags on my feet and calves.

This is no joke!

It is both painful and itchy.

And antihistamines do not have any effect at reducing the bites.

These bites are already 8 days old.

I have never been bitten in this way in my life.

ALSO, these bites occurred, all of them, during one half hour of exposure.

They are murder!

This is the main reason I do not like the raining season.

Anyone else have this same syndrome? post-257660-0-44678500-1466231877_thumb.

Whatever it is, these animals can only bite about 25 centimeters off the ground!

Edited by WonderousWand

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like midges to me. I had the same problem in Papua New Guinea. They live in the sand and I am allergic to them. I itch for many days if I'm bitten.

I used tropical strength repellant and it worked, but if I miss anywhere, they were into me!!

In parts of Africa these bugs carry a disease, but I think it's not a problem here.

looks like midges to me. I had the same problem in Papua New Guinea. They live in the sand and I am allergic to them. I itch for many days if I'm bitten.

I used tropical strength repellant and it worked, but if I miss anywhere, they were into me!!

In parts of Africa these bugs carry a disease, but I think it's not a problem here.

These animals bite ONLY at night, never during daylight hours.

I think they are most active after about 10 pm, and especially in early AM Around 1 to 4 am.

Looks like Asian Chicken Foot. You get it from eating too many eggs, like 5 to 10 a day.

I gotta tell you....

One half hour exposure sitting outside at 2am reading on my Note4, and I had over 50 bites on both feet ankles and other lower extremities.

I would not mind so much, BUT they do not go away, and remain painful and irritating just like the first day I was bitten.

Tried hydrocortisone, but useless.

Tried scratching, but only of temporary benefit

My only protection now if I want to sit outside is the giant zip lock bags, but people think I'm nuts.

I may just look for some sort of plastic socks.

It was surprising to me to learn that the doctors and pharmacy all say these are caused by mosquitoes!

Then why are these bites only about 5 inches off the ground.

Maybe if I lay on the ground then I might be bitten elsewhere.

It would be a good experiment, just to rule out that these bugs are only interested in biting below Midcalf.

I was sitting at a table which was on a paved surface.

The mosquitoes here in CM do not bother me at all.

They rarely bite me.

By the way, the photo I uploaded is turned 90 degrees clockwise from normal.

So please view it with the East side pointing North to see it correctly.

I only posted one photo, because that is all that is required to identify the bite, however the bites extended all over the surface of the area involved, which is to say the ankle, etc.

I have no doubt that many other newcomers to CM might wonder.

And not know, thinking these might be mosquitoes.

But they are not.

Edited by WonderousWand

Not saying it is, but bearing in mind there are something like 400 different types of mossie, each likely carrying a variety of enzymes that one might be allergic to. For me, most are just irritating, but some are hellish uncomfortable (particularly in the north), some with small bumps, others with huge ones. Could be a fly, but I wouldn't discount mosquitoes either.

Edited by daveAustin

I have never heard of misquotes biting in such a densely concentrated pattern, such as this.

I don't think this animal is airborne.

I think it is on the ground, waiting for an interloper to come by and provide a blood meal, if that is what they are after.

Also, they seem invisible. Or, very small, and you cannot feel them land, or crawl.

The very tiny ants are still perceptible if they crawl on the skin.

Sure it isn't tiny ants?

I get occasional visits in my apartment and only know they're there when I get bit. They're so small, I don't see them unless I'm really looking. But, man do they bite. And in swarms.

Generally, they're just passing through because when I get bit at night, I can never find them the next day.

Edited by impulse

Sure it isn't tiny ants?

I get occasional visits in my apartment and only know they're there when I get bit. They're so small, I don't see them. But, man do they bite.

Yes.

Positive.

These are NOT ant bites, although I considered the possibility last year.

Edited by WonderousWand

I think you are correct.

If correct, then what works to reduce the inflammation?

I tried both types of antihistamines. No effect.

Hydrocortisone reduces the irritation, but only temporarily.

Trying to wear socks over the inflammation only doubles the sensation.

Last year, I actually purchased a pair of those rubber boots they use in the meat markets or wet markets, and those seem to work, but hot.

No ants, ok.

Strange, according to the picture I would have said bed bugs...?

Better see a doctor!

Definitely, not bed bugs.

Last year, I did consult 2 doctors, and about 3 pharmacies.

They ALL say mosquitoes.

But I am not convinced.

They must be wrong, because of the distribution, and the ground level.

Edited by WonderousWand

Looks like what we would call flea bites in the US.....Possibly sand fleas....

Had a wife of a friend that attracted them so much she wore flea collars on her ankles... They had dogs & critters....

After that I never felt inclined so much to visit at their house....

Had a wife of a friend that attracted them so much she wore flea collars on her ankles... They had dogs & critters....

I had not thought of that.

Very good solution, if it works.

You could keep them in an airtight container, and then just wear them when you wanted to sit outside.

Not hot like rubber boots.

But maybe too expensive.

(also, probably would not work, since it takes time for the chemicals to be distributed from the collar to the fur)

Edited by WonderousWand

WW, if you read your own posts it would seem the solution to your problem is obvious -- don't go outside after 10 pm and what are you doing up between 1 am and 4 am outside anyway? It sounds like you're in light outside attracting insects. Go inside, already!

Masuk offers other sensible advice. If you have to be outdoors during those hours, slatter yourself with tropical strength insect repellent. Much better than covering your legs with plastic bags or hot plastic boots.

As for how to eliminate the itch of the bites you have ready, have you tried triamcinolone acetonide 0.1%. It's available as a cream or a lotion. I prefer the lotion to handle a bigger area. One brand name sold here is T.Man Lotion. It's a member of the corticosteroid -- or steroid -- group of drugs, so it shouldn't be used long-term. Just until your current crop of bites clear up. (Because you are going to get the habit of going inside early and/or applying insect repellent, right?)

Here are further images of midge bites (enjoy!): https://www.google.co.th/search?q=midge+bites&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB5paHk7HNAhVMr48KHQBYAIAQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=623

And an interesting article with some tips like point a fan at yourself and use mozzie coils to try to discourage the buggers: http://www.byron.nsw.gov.au/protect-yourself-from-biting-midges-sand-flies

You could keep them in an airtight container, and then just wear them when you wanted to sit outside.

But maybe too expensive.

(also, probably would not work, since it takes time for the chemicals to be distributed from the collar to the fur)

She wore them on Her ankles.....To ward them off....Insect repellent spray might work in much the same way.... Edited by pgrahmm

Try Cadramine,green bottle,cheap ,often successful with midges

Any idea what the Thai name might be?

That is the Thai name.In Australia where we have our fair share of insects its called Calamine.

Been around for more years than I can remember.If all else fails see a dermatologist, many tropical skin irritations/allergies in the wet season humidity

They are mosquitoes, there is a species of tiny mosquito that swarms under tables at night, you don't often see them they dont buzz, you dont feel the bite. I get the same on occasion but luckily for me they only itch for an hour or two, the itching does not start right away, it takes awhile for the reaction, the number of spots in the photo are not unusual. wear sox.

But maybe too expensive.

She wore them on Her ankles.....To ward them off....Insect repellent spray might work in much the same way....

Why the aversion to insect repellent spray.

And yes, flea collars around the ankles work for someone who is allergic to fleas. Hubby is allergic and periodically we'd have a problem with fleas in the house with two house cats that (honest to god), never went outdoors but would pick them up from us bringing them in outside. We lived in a subdivision with very small yards and neighbors pets that ran around in everyone's yards spreading their fleas. This was in hot, humid Houston in the 1970s when shag carpeting was all the rage.

They are mosquitoes, there is a species of tiny mosquito that swarms under tables at night, you don't often see them they dont buzz, you dont feel the bite. I get the same on occasion but luckily for me they only itch for an hour or two, the itching does not start right away, it takes awhile for the reaction, the number of spots in the photo are not unusual. wear sox.

It is possible.

Socks are not an effective barrier, I don't think.

But maybe too expensive.

As flea collars and the like often have a warning about not touching with bare hands and/or to wash carefully after fitting it to poochie, I'd be wary of having such things on ankles, if this was meant to be a serious comment.