38 Chinese Tourists Abandoned by Thai Tour Guides as Tour Company is Robbed of Their Room Fees

Jonathan Fairfield

38 Chinese Tourists Abandoned by Thai Tour Guides as Tour Company is Robbed of Their Room Fees

post-137452-0-75589800-1466322206_thumb.

PATTAYA:-- At 2am on the morning of Sunday June 19 Pattaya Tourist Police were called to a disturbance at the R Con Hotel, Wongamat Beach, Naklua after two Thai tour guides dropped off a coach load of Chinese holiday makers and then disappeared with the payments for their accommodation.

The tourists, who are on a pre-paid package tour, claim they were asked for more money by the guides on arrival and when they began to complain about being pressed for more cash the tour guides ran off and disappeared.

The R Con Hotel, clearly aware of what to expect from their fellow countrymen, then refused to allow the tourists to enter their pre-booked rooms until the tour company, who made the booking, turned up and handed over the cash.

Instead they preferred to leave the unhappy group waiting around the lobby and called the police in to deal with them, by removal if necessary.

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-06-19

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appropriate name

R Con hotel 55555555555

I hope this is the end of TOURISM here

Thaiand does not need it

It only accounts for a small part of the economy 5555

And As A person I know said to me

The RUSSIAN Embassy people renewing some work visa in BKK were told

WE DI NOT ASK YOU TO COME... so if this is how they treat Embassy staff they do not care about anyone else and THIS PROVES IT

And TAT doesn't think these people will return to China and tell all 400 of their cousins and friends what happened?

No problem. There will be another 400 million Chinese who do not hear of this or will not care.

Thaiand does not need it

10% of GDP (most conservative estimates) up to 20% if including indirect business doesn't look like something you "don't need".

This sounds like one of those deals where there's 12 layers of shady dealings and deceit, and we're getting only the top layer.

Did the disappearing tour guides actually have their room fee money? If so, why? Had the tour guides been stiffed by the tour company, or perhaps not paid their "commission" from the hotel, or were they just getting greedy?

Fortunately, we'll never know. Because it really doesn't matter to us. And that's a good thing.

The tour was pre-paid. AFAIK the hotel should have been paid yes?

The tour guides were most probably illegal........usually a tour guide is hired by tour companies and assigned to a specific group of tourists; they operate individual since their daily fee is in between THB 1,500 and THB 2,000 and therefore pretty expensive.

I guess that the "guides" offered their services at the airport ("2 for one").

"they were asked for more money by the guides on arrival and when they began to complain about being pressed for more cash the tour guides ran off and disappeared."

Hmmm tour guides employed by company.... so did tour company rob itself? I thought from headline it was a "third party"

Appropriate name

R Con hotel 55555555555

Thaiand does not need it

And As A person I know said to me

The RUSSIAN Embassy people renewing some work visa in BKK were told

WE DI NOT ASK YOU TO COME... so if this is how they treat Embassy staff they do not care about anyone else and THIS PROVES IT

You are right and also wrong about the tourist .The report says Tourist contribute directly to the GNP of Thailand an estimate 9% or 1 trillion baht to 16% and indirectly 20% or 2.4 trillion baht so Thailand is very,very dependent on the tourist money. Now does it help the little guy on the street ? Not so much.A lot of the tourist from the western world spend extra money out of their pockets buying trinkets and souvenirs tipping,getting massages, and many other buys to make their trip more enjoyable.Most of the income from the Asian groups (estimate in 2016 8.3 million,spending 245 billion baht) do not buy souvenirs as they are told not to by the leaders.There moneys are a prepaid trip ,staying in certain hotels controlled by the government bigwigs,They are taken to a few controlled bars on walking street for a prepaid drink seeing one show and eat at the controlled restaurant. and so on When Thaksin was here his family controlled 90% of this income.Next time blog about something that you may know.

And TAT doesn't think these people will return to China and tell all 400 of their cousins and friends what happened?

Did all those murders and rapes, on Koh Tao, get back to all those cousins in UK,USA, Germany, Australia? Stopped them cold from coming right? Or did my eyes deceive me last weekend? Only petty robbery without injury,in Pattaya? Gee Beavers, I say they fortunate.

Every party in this story is a tragic character. Why do I not feel sorry for any of them?

Because in the world you are just passing through with no idea of why you are here .A fill in or part of the crowd in your own little space.

....and these are 'legal tour guides'.....

...makes one wonder.....

...and probably.....they will not be charged with extortion....or anything else....

...discrimination....racism....these do not seem like strong enough words for what is going on here....

I have a relative that has worked in travel and tourism for many years... she told me hotels are paid ~1-2 weeks AFTER the guests have stayed, normally by bank wire transfer. The hotel will request a deposit of 1-2M baht from the tour company upon signing an initial contract. These steps protect the guests and both parties in the contract.

Sorry, something smells very bad here...

Edited by Ricky HKT

Every party in this story is a tragic character. Why do I not feel sorry for any of them?

Because in the world you are just passing through with no idea of why you are here .A fill in or part of the crowd in your own little space.
Cheap shot and wrong. How Pollyanna you are about the real world.

No sympathy for any of them because every character is trying to cheat, make or save money off the backs of the other. All should be in the same holding pen for cons.

Sorry to spoil your view.

post-108400-14663907442079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fookhaht