Helmet advice

Kenny202

Be advised that the HJC CL-17 only includes the Snell certification in the sizes below 3XL. Otherwise it is DOT certified only.

I wonder how many other helmets have similar caveats.

• DOT & SNELL M2015 approved
    • CL-17 Plus (3XL-5XL): DOT Only
  • Available Sizes: XS – 5XL (CL-17 PLUS: 3XL-5XL-DOT only)
probably the sheer weight of a +3XL head would spell disaster bouncing along the road LOL

Be advised that the HJC CL-17 only includes the Snell certification in the sizes below 3XL. Otherwise it is DOT certified only.

I wonder how many other helmets have similar caveats.

• DOT & SNELL M2015 approved
    • CL-17 Plus (3XL-5XL): DOT Only
  • Available Sizes: XS 5XL (CL-17 PLUS: 3XL-5XL-DOT only)
Becouse SNELL because it uses the load 300G external action items sine wave.

DOT only 250.

it only means that the shell thickness. but it will protect my brain from concussions? I will not important entire helmet shell or not. the main thing that my mind and my head hit the least.

PS

HJC CL-ST and IS-17 had SHARP testing.

;)

Just found this about the ECE 22.05 motocycle helmet standard. This is the summary.

Summary

If youre not comfortable with a helmet that only meets the US Government DOT standard, what do you look for? Historically, American riders have looked for a Snell label but the world is getting smaller and we now have other viable alternatives.

The ECE 22.05 standard is used in over 50 European countries, including Germany, a country known for taking a hard line on personal protection.

Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP.

Helmets that are certified to both DOT and ECE 22.05 offer the highest level of realistic protection with the added benefit of light weight for day-long comfort and rider performance.

Full article.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

REAL helmets carry both the ECE and dot rateing.

After taking some hits with to expensive Shoei/HJC helmets; I switched to the cheap ones with certification (s).

I had a Bilmola Defender for 1.5 years and for the money it was pretty good but eventually one of the visor bolts rusted through (replaced with stainless) and was later stolen (good luck to the new owner).

My wife has a Real Bravo for ~2000b but the quality is definitely lower quality than the Defender but she liked the fit better.

If I didn't have an AFX helmet already I would probably buy a Bilmola full-face with sun visor again.

All the sweat makes me want to replace a helmet ~every 2-3 years it seems, because that's when the fake pleather material on the bottom starts to flake off.

Todays helmets are miles ahead of the ones in years gone by. I rode over a 40 foot cliff, broke left leg in three places, and split my fibreglass helmet right down the middle, from brow to neck. Only the liner kept it on my head. No injury, no bruise, nada. So a discussion about todays helmets, all well and good, but you can not go wrong with any mid priced model. Get the features you want, at a realistic price. No need for a 800 buck helmet when a 200 buck one is just as good.

After taking some hits with to expensive Shoei/HJC helmets; I switched to the cheap ones with certification (s).

I had a Bilmola Defender for 1.5 years and for the money it was pretty good but eventually one of the visor bolts rusted through (replaced with stainless) and was later stolen (good luck to the new owner).

My wife has a Real Bravo for ~2000b but the quality is definitely lower quality than the Defender but she liked the fit better.

If I didn't have an AFX helmet already I would probably buy a Bilmola full-face with sun visor again.

All the sweat makes me want to replace a helmet ~every 2-3 years it seems, because that's when the fake pleather material on the bottom starts to flake off.

HJS expensive? You must kidding me.

HJS start even less 100$

In this is topic even have example price

HJC RPHA 10 THB 4,500 its not realy low model helmet.

Its not noise

Well air

Just have one big -

It can easily break the visor fastener. it is necessary to be careful.

4500 B its expensive ?

some fake materials? your sweat destroys interior materials. they lose their properties.

I do not know what is bimola and what you mean "good qality"

Helmet firts for protect brain and head.

You have experience?

And what is mean expensive?

How much you think price you healthy?

Almost all helmet even low cost branded got testing.

Top model helmet its just for more comfort and extrem speed.

Low cost helmet(branded and tested) almost all noise after 100 km/h

But its still hel protect you.

About not tested i am not sure.

And I not once see how WORK helmet..

Ofcouse i wish for all not how helmet protect.

PS

Asian brand(japan,korea) do two different type helmet same model for american market and for all another.

One got DOT and SNELL . And another ECE .

Europe Brand produce one type helmet for evry model and got tested DOT+ ECE

Almost...

Interesting hear you blokes talk about "quiet" helmets and using earplugs etc. I don't like increased road noise picked up from a non aerodynamic helmet but I had the experience once of nearly having a head on with an ambulance, sirens screaming because of an extremely quiet helmet. Nearly too late when I finally heard it in fact I think I saw the flashing lights before hearing it.

Anyone ever try the helmet liners you can buy? Are they cooling, comfortable? Do they stop the sweat getting to the helmet?

Have different model.

If have some "cool" in named material or nodel its much more stop sweat to helmet can say more than 90%.

Another less but its still better tgen with out.

Underwear have to fir hot season.

If use real bike(not scooter in city) its must be with armor.

Interesting hear you blokes talk about "quiet" helmets and using earplugs etc. I don't like increased road noise picked up from a non aerodynamic helmet but I had the experience once of nearly having a head on with an ambulance, sirens screaming because of an extremely quiet helmet. Nearly too late when I finally heard it in fact I think I saw the flashing lights before hearing it.

I do not know what you mean noise?

Its from wind . So noise helmet

It much more chance not hear ambulance than in extremely quiet helmet.

Quiet for me its mean good aerodinamic and wind not give noise.

Anyway. If ride 90-120 on moped not big deal.

Just found this about the ECE 22.05 motocycle helmet standard. This is the summary.

Summary

If youre not comfortable with a helmet that only meets the US Government DOT standard, what do you look for? Historically, American riders have looked for a Snell label but the world is getting smaller and we now have other viable alternatives.

The ECE 22.05 standard is used in over 50 European countries, including Germany, a country known for taking a hard line on personal protection.

Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP.

Helmets that are certified to both DOT and ECE 22.05 offer the highest level of realistic protection with the added benefit of light weight for day-long comfort and rider performance.

Full article.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

REAL helmets carry both the ECE and dot rateing.

The only REAL helmet (from their website) that has DOT is the Dawin helmet, and it doesn't have ECE. All the other helmets have only ECE and TIS (Thai Industrial Standard - มอก). Older REALs had DOT but not now.

interesting link within the link you provided that gives the pdf for ECE helmet regulations. The ECE compliance REAL helmet i have is marked E9 on the visor and label on the strap which means granted approval by Spain (page 10). A quick look on Spanish bike accessory websites didn't find any REAL helmets for sale.

Anyone know where you can buy a good helmet cable lock? not one with a diecast metal lock.

HJS expensive? You must kidding me.

HJS start even less 100$

In this is topic even have example price

HJC RPHA 10 THB 4,500 its not realy low model helmet.

Its not noise

Well air

Just have one big -

It can easily break the visor fastener. it is necessary to be careful.

4500 B its expensive ?

some fake materials? your sweat destroys interior materials. they lose their properties.

I do not know what is bimola and what you mean "good qality"

Helmet firts for protect brain and head.

You have experience?

And what is mean expensive?

How much you think price you healthy?

Almost all helmet even low cost branded got testing.

Top model helmet its just for more comfort and extrem speed.

Low cost helmet(branded and tested) almost all noise after 100 km/h

But its still hel protect you.

About not tested i am not sure.

And I not once see how WORK helmet..

Ofcouse i wish for all not how helmet protect.

PS

Asian brand(japan,korea) do two different type helmet same model for american market and for all another.

One got DOT and SNELL . And another ECE .

Europe Brand produce one type helmet for evry model and got tested DOT+ ECE

Almost...

I had an all carbon HJC and it was something like 15000b ~6 years ago.

I've gone through ~10 helmets in my life so it all adds up.

Half of them were crashed off road and pocketbike racing; the other half just got old.

Besides the liners falling apart I've had the quick release buckles rust which seems dangerous.

If you got money to burn buy an expensive helmet, but like gloves they all fall apart in a few years.

Edited by ttakata

I had an all carbon HJC and it was something like 15000b ~6 years ago.

I've gone through ~10 helmets in my life so it all adds up.

Half of them were crashed off road and pocketbike racing; the other half just got old.

Besides the liners falling apart I've had the quick release buckles rust which seems dangerous.

If you got money to burn buy an expensive helmet, but like gloves they all fall apart in a few years.

So What?

HJC for 2800-4500 its expenwive?:)

You must kidding.

Money burn to buy? :)

Its just talking about comfort.

I am sure its not comfort few 100 km ride with noise helmet.

But if ride scooter or moped on 90-100 km/h

Its fine low cost.

I had few HJC low cost near 100$.

Again is a 100$ expensive?

Its only 1-2 days salary lowcost worker.

Sorry do not understand you.

Edited by ardokano

Anyone ever try the helmet liners you can buy? Are they cooling, comfortable? Do they stop the sweat getting to the helmet?

Kenny202,

Is the HJC CL-17 liner not removable for washing and/or replacement?

I want to buy a new helmet but I want the removable padding/liner for easier cleaning.

Kenny202,

I want to buy a new helmet but I want the removable padding/liner for easier cleaning.

HJC R-PHA 10 liner is removable and washable...

If it was a head on, then you should have seen it long before you heard it !!

My favorite budget brands are Bell and Speed and Strength. They make great products! DOT certified and very inexpensive. You can get a SS helmet starting at $100 USD. Bell for a few dollars more. I splurged a bit and spent $200 USD. Drop down sun visor and sexy graphics. thumbsup.gif

Something with decent vents is crucial here.

Kenny202,

Yep removeable. From website specs....

The HJC CL-17 liner is comfortable and removable. Note cutouts for chin curtain which has yet to arrive...

Rubbish!

I don't think there's any helmet on the market that could block out the noise from an ambulance siren.

Rubbish!

I don't think there's any helmet on the market that could block out the noise from an ambulance siren.

try any low cost helmet after 150 km/h wind noise all drown.clap2.gif

if not ...on 200km/h sure.

more than 200km/h not recomended can visor openbiggrin.png

Rubbish!

I agree with you but why would you delete the post I was quoting?

The quote stated that 'he nearly had a head on with an ambulance, sirens screaming because of an extremely quiet helmet.

Rubbish!

I agree with you but why would you delete the post I was quoting?

The quote stated that 'he nearly had a head on with an ambulance, sirens screaming because of an extremely quiet helmet.

Just kidding.

Sorry.

For me it too do not understand.

More high level helmet just quiet becouse less noise wind.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done maybe 15000 kms with my Honda HJC helmet. Just over 2000 baht on 2011.

Inside perfect and original visor. Not sure if of international standard. Very quite and comfortable though.

what speed?

before 100km/h almost all normal even low cost helmet quite.

what model you helmet?

15000 km and visor still fine.. you luky on thai road alot bags even at day time.

And HJC almost all have DOT or ECE 2205

Asia brand many model make two difference helmet one for DOT.. one for ECE 2205

Europe brand do one model and get dot+ECE 2205

Good for you wear helmetthumbsup.gif

Edited by ardokano