Now, Illegal to Walk in CM Roads? I Don't THINK So. Please tell it to the MPs !

WonderousWand

"Then suddenly I saw ahead of me what looked like one of those GI Joe figures astride a bike coming towards me in one of those bike lanes I do not often notice. When this military man was just about on top of me, he suddenly stretched out his left arm in traffic cop fashion and called out for me to get back up on the sidewalk. Apparently, I had inadvertently encroached on his bike lane territory. He seemed extremely displeased, just as I was dismayed.

His accent left no doubt he was American, and he looked like a giant USA MP."

Are you stating that a large man in a US military uniform did this, or are you practicing your creative writing skills?

Please look carefully...

1. I did NOT say he was in uniform, nor do I wish to have anyone believe this.

2. If you have seen the GI Joe dolls made out of plastic, then you will know the look.

3. His demeanor was military-like. I have seen the type many times. You see these types going through airports on the way to Iraq and Afghanistan.

4. His order to me, and hand signal, was exactly as one would expect from a Military Policeman, and totally uncalled for in this situation, since he had no authority.

5. By the way, GI Joe dolls are also outfitted with civilian clothes, but they still have the same look, no matter how you dress them.

He looked like one of these guys..... attachicon.gifimages (25).jpg

You did not say he was in uniform, but you repeatedly emphasized the military appearance. That would suggest a uniform, especially since you asked the question "Do American military police have any authority in Chiang Mai?" If he was not in uniform, he clearly was not acting as an MP, and the question is nonsense.

In summary, a large person that you think was American and you think looked like he was military, even though he was in civilian clothes, gestured that you should get out of the bike lane while he was riding a bicycle in the lane. His behavior seems reasonable to me.

You also stated "I wonder if he knew that I have smashed my head against low hanging advertising signs planted right in the middle of some sidewalks?" It seems you do not pay attention to your surroundings when you walk. Perhaps he was concerned you would blunder into him.

Edited by heybruce

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Then suddenly I saw ahead of me what looked like one of those GI Joe figures astride a bike coming towards me in one of those bike lanes I do not often notice. When this military man was just about on top of me, he suddenly stretched out his left arm in traffic cop fashion and called out for me to get back up on the sidewalk. Apparently, I had inadvertently encroached on his bike lane territory. He seemed extremely displeased, just as I was dismayed.

Are you stating that a large man in a US military uniform did this, or are you practicing your creative writing skills?

Please look carefully...

2. If you have seen the GI Joe dolls made out of plastic, then you will know the look.

3. His demeanor was military-like. I have seen the type many times. You see these types going through airports on the way to Iraq and Afghanistan.

4. His order to me, and hand signal, was exactly as one would expect from a Military Policeman, and totally uncalled for in this situation, since he had no authority.

5. By the way, GI Joe dolls are also outfitted with civilian clothes, but they still have the same look, no matter how you dress them.

You did not say he was in uniform, but you repeatedly emphasized the military appearance. That would suggest a uniform, especially since you asked the question "Do American military police have any authority in Chiang Mai?" If he was not in uniform, he clearly was not acting as an MP, and the question is nonsense.

In summary, a large person that you think was American and you think looked like he was military, even though he was in civilian clothes, gestured that you should get out of the bike lane while he was riding a bicycle in the lane. His behavior seems reasonable to me.

You also stated "I wonder if he knew that I have smashed my head against low hanging advertising signs planted right in the middle of some sidewalks?" It seems you do not pay attention to your surroundings when you walk. Perhaps he was concerned you would blunder into him.

He told me to get up on the sidewalk.

Possibly he had my safety in mind, as you say.

But it was a definite order.

He was very annoyed.

Sort of like the cabby who gets angry with the bikes in NYC

Let me see if I understand this. WW is walking along in the bicycle lane, basically in the road when he encounters a fit, young bicyclist coming toward him. Rather than doing the proper thing, which would be to step up onto the sidewalk (footpath), instead he kept on walking, until the young man had to motion for him to move, calling out in a North American accent.

OK, how does this example of lack of self-awareness qualify as an excuse for American-bashing?

Let me see if I understand this. WW is walking along in the bicycle lane, basically in the road when he encounters a fit, young bicyclist coming toward him. Rather than doing the proper thing, which would be to step up onto the sidewalk (footpath), instead he kept on walking, until the young man had to motion for him to move, calling out in a North American accent.

OK, how does this example of lack of self-awareness qualify as an excuse for American-bashing?

1. I was not in the bicycle lane. I was between the bicycle lane and the curbing. The bicycle lane does not extend very far. There had been no bicycle lane about 200 meters before that point.

2. The sidewalk there was not suitable for walking, since there were so many trees in the middle of it, and signs, and it was completely uneven and not well maintained. It was more dangerous than walking in the road.

3. I am not bashing Americans. I am criticizing those who order people around, when they have no authority to do so.

4. This guy had a very clear American accent, but as you say he might have been from Australia and just was pretending to speak with an American accent.

5. In order to describe his demeanor, I used an example of the USA MP types which you see on videos in Iraq, or sometimes in other places.

6. People know when they are being ordered to do something. And they also know when someone is using a military or police like demeanor to control the behavior of others. The order was very abrupt, and I do not think he even much heard my reply, before he was past me.

I would suggest that this individual stop trying to act like a policeman on the roads of Thailand, and let the proper authorities act in the way they see fit to govern the flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic on Thailand's roadways.

Edited by WonderousWand

How do you know he wasn't from Canada?

In my experience, the Mounties don't act that way.

They don't seem to have quite as much swagger.

I don't think they are fighting any battles at the moment, and so I guess I have not seen their videos similar to the ones of American soldiers in Iraq.

I am sure this guy was not from Quebec City, but possibly Toronto, except the police are pretty friendly there, and do not often act this way, in or out of uniform.

I don't think they are fighting any battles at the moment, and so I guess I have not seen their videos similar to the ones of American soldiers in Iraq.

I am sure this guy was not from Quebec City, but possibly Toronto, except the police are pretty friendly there, and do not often act this way, in or out of uniform.

Generalize much? Sherlock couldn't derive such conclusions from so little information. But then you had just been pumped up with religion so evidence may not mean much to you.

Cyclist are all fascists. Even after they made an actual separated bike lane (along the Canal Road) you still see them on the main road, trying to get themselves killed. (I don't think their nationality is relevant here: they're all the same.)

And then when they do get killed they whine about it. They're complete loons, best to pretend to agree and then ignore like you would with anyone with a severe mental health challenge.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Cyclist are all fascists. Even after they made an actual separated bike lane (along the Canal Road) you still see them on the main road, trying to get themselves killed.

And then when they do get killed they whine about it. They're just weirdos, best to pretend to agree and them ignore like you would with anyone with a mental health challenge.

enlightened Whiney

Generalize much? Sherlock couldn't derive such conclusions from so little information. But then you had just been pumped up with religion so evidence may not mean much to you.

I don't think he was pumped up with religion. I think he is still reeling from the rise in egg prices. eating 5 eggs a day is an enormous amount of money for him.

Can some one please find him some 3 baht a piece eggs and let him get back to the real world.clap2.gif

Cyclist are all fascists. Even after they made an actual separated bike lane (along the Canal Road) you still see them on the main road, trying to get themselves killed. (I don't think their nationality is relevant here: they're all the same.)

And then when they do get killed they whine about it. They're complete loons, best to pretend to agree and then ignore like you would with anyone with a severe mental health challenge.

There is a radical bike cult in CM at the moment, the Raw till 4 vegan bike fest. is still happening, it is a month long event. IF this incident happened I suspect it was one of them. They are very hard core in their beliefs and are known to confront motorist and anyone that gets in their way. Some are of the mellow hippie variety but many fit the descriptioon in the op.

This is another American-bashing troll post with just a bit of Trump-supporter-bashing thrown in for good measure. That last part is a wise move by the OP as it increases the odds the topic will be allowed to run.

See?

Have run into this cowboy o the 121 before , arrogant rude and had an attitude i am god do as i say, asked for passport and visa , luck i had a copy on my phone , threatened take me to police station if i did'nt have on me . Rude and scary . Have heard a few story's about this cowboy . And yes looked and spoke like a yank

Have run into this cowboy o the 121 before , arrogant rude and had an attitude i am god do as i say, asked for passport and visa , luck i had a copy on my phone , threatened take me to police station if i did'nt have on me . Rude and scary . Have heard a few story's about this cowboy . And yes looked and spoke like a yank

A farang asking for your passport and visa?

If true, that's a creepy new development here in Chiang Mai.

Please look carefully...

No this is the one , spotted him yesterday.

post-125163-0-01080100-1466389061_thumb.

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

I don't understand. Did you show him the finger?

I don't think he was pumped up with religion. I think he is still reeling from the rise in egg prices. eating 5 eggs a day is an enormous amount of money for him.

Can some one please find him some 3 baht a piece eggs and let him get back to the real world.clap2.gif

I know you are joking,

3 baht a piece eggs or not,OP obviously has no idea what or where the real world is..he is one lost cause.

I know you are joking,

3 baht a piece eggs or not,OP obviously has no idea what or where the real world is..he is one lost cause.

Why would you show a complete (western) stranger on the street your passport? This makes absolutely no sense at all!

You say he threatened to 'take you' to the police station? How exactly was he going to accomplish this? On his bicycle?