Lost in translation

Testacall

Popped down to my local burgerking (i know I know) and after I ordered a very young girl I think was a new hire said to me ...you eat here or you go away :) I tried to explain u cannot say that ..just say ..take away ...out came all the staff trying to understand what was wrong. I love it :) laughter all around and then they thru in some free fries ..:)

Edited by Testacall

30 baht per hour and free criticism of your English language abilities. What could be better.

It's not always that way.

About 6 weeks ago me and my brother popped into a McD's for a late night snack. My brother started ordering a simple meal in Thai (he's been coming here many years as well as working as a teacher, and his Thai isn't bad), when the cashier / counter attendant swiftly interrupted and said, "just order in English" in her most condescending voice.

His order was basically a double cheeseburger meal but without the salad and mayo..................guess what he got after placing the order in English,,,,,,,,yeap, salad and mayo!

Any point in complaining.............they would have still been right!

Edited by Woody1

The only Thai persons English I would think to correct would be my wife and I rarely do that. She's making her way along with it pretty well on her own and her mistakes, spelling and lost in translations are just to much fun for me. I love things like when she texts me "choose" [emoji151][emoji150][emoji149]and is referring shoes which she pronounces correctly.

I don't believe you...as we all know from reading this forum, all Thais are short-tempered and hate farangs; and what really happened is that the entire BK staff set upon you and beat you to a pulp for questioning the English skills of one of their crew ?"

I would post the CCTV video but I'm scared of being blacklisted and deported! sad.png

I would only correct the wife but she does come out with a few good ones...'Hospital bus' was an ambulance and 'wheel broken and wind come out' puncture....

Having said that I have had many mistakes when learning thai which she corrected while laughing.