Fingerprint scanning may be required in buying smart phones by year’s end

webfact

Kite flying to test the public reaction. Tell 'em to sh-g off. Thailand is already about the worst place in the world when it comes to the security of personal data. I don't want my or my family's prints to end up stolen and used by some drug runner or terrorist as proof of identity.

Good initiative. In fact they are looking at using face recognition in the near future to not only unlock the phone, but to make purchases as well.

Can either move with the technology or resist it complain and finish up like that grumpy old man that lives up the road. I for one embrace technology and look forward to these new initiatives.

A good initiative, eh? This is Thailand. It's not known for initiative, never mind a good one, so I, for one, don't share your enthusiasm ... especially when the 'initiative' relates to security.

Good initiative. In fact they are looking at using face recognition in the near future to not only unlock the phone, but to make purchases as well.

Can either move with the technology or resist it complain and finish up like that grumpy old man that lives up the road. I for one embrace technology and look forward to these new initiatives.

But the technology is done at the source device.. My laptop recognizes my face and logs in.. My phone has a finger print scanner to verify its me.. The verification is decentralized not centralized.

Once verified they need only tell the central system "yes its him" rather than the centralized database holding the defining information. The basic design of this system is coming at the problem the old 'luddite' way.

What if you want a smart phone but don't want prompt pay app? I for one never use my smart phone to pay for anything nor do I use credit cards especially in LOS. Also only use the safest ATM's around Citibank's because it is inside of bank hard to rig it there.

Pay attention protect yourself. Theft is increasing on such a grand scale it would not surprise me to see the bank cut you loose and say any loses on your account are yours eat them. Banks are in business to protect themselves and make a profit. If you become a liability to that hmm.

Edited by elgordo38

So when an electronic transfer is made by a phone user, the databank can check that the user is real and the transaction is approved electronically.

You know the article didn't say you would have to have your fingerprint scanned by your phone when doing such a transfer. It just said they wanted your fingerprint for buying of phone. Maybe just a poorly written article and they left out a part about possibly the payment system app would require a fingerprint scan to process the payment, but then you will need a phone which has a finger print scanner built into the phone which usually only comes with some high end/pricier phones right now.

"Pre-paid and post-paid phone users who want to apply for “Prompt Pay service

Try reading it again with my added emphasis.

So when an electronic transfer is made by a phone user, the databank can check that the user is real and the transaction is approved electronically.

You know the article didn't say you would have to have your fingerprint scanned by your phone when doing such a transfer. It just said they wanted your fingerprint for buying of phone. Maybe just a poorly written article and they left out a part about possibly the payment system app would require a fingerprint scan to process the payment, but then you will need a phone which has a finger print scanner built into the phone which usually only comes with some high end/pricier phones right now.

You're right...and I won't be applying.

You're right...and I won't be applying.

Not here, not in Oz, TYVM

Speaking of Prompt Pay articles (like a partial quote from below newspaper I won't mention the name of) I've read on it so far indicate you need a Thai ID card, but maybe for a farang their passport would suffice. And I think it will only apply for single name bank accounts and not joint account. But since a Thai ID card number never changes (as far as I know unless they are doing a nationwide change of ID numbers like they did many years ago when switching from a 10 digit number I think it was to a 13 digit number) but a passport number changes every X-years usually when the passport requires renewal I wonder if Prompt Pay will be open to farangs also--for those farangs that want it.

PromptPay will use citizens' ID card numbers and mobile phone numbers to link with a bank account, so cash transactions can be made easily.
Eligible accounts include savings or current accounts with a single owner, he said.
Edited by Pib

you will need a phone which has a finger print scanner built into the phone which usually only comes with some high end/pricier phones right now.

I've been looking for a smartphone and have come across many cheap but highly-rated Chinese phones that have fingerprint scanner. e.g. Vernee Thor (under 120 USD), Homtom HT17 (under 70 USD). So they are starting to get into the cheap phones too.

For something like this (buying of all new phones) to be controlled, purchase of new phones would only be sold from nominated outlets which would warrant a change of law/regulations regarding smartphones. This isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

For those who were in Thailand in 1999 or so, it used to work like this. Phones bought overseas would not work in Thailand because only IMEIs from phones bought from authorized resellers were allowed to register to local operators (except for roaming phones with foreign SIMs)

And of course local prices were way higher than in the west.

Now would it be feasible to go back to this? I really don't think so but with the junta anything is possible...

Thai people give their finger and thumb prints of both hands when applying for a Thai ID card or a Thai passport. This is done electronically and recorded digitally.

So for most Thai people the government has this data already.

For those who were in Thailand in 1999 or so, it used to work like this. Phones bought overseas would not work in Thailand because only IMEIs from phones bought from authorized resellers were allowed to register to local operators (except for roaming phones with foreign SIMs)

And of course local prices were way higher than in the west.

Now would it be feasible to go back to this? I really don't think so but with the junta anything is possible...

Didn't you forget to mention who held a 20 year monopoly, and profited from all the over-priced phones and exorbitant call charges?

Yep, the hero of the poor, Isaan's benefactor, the great (near) white hope of Thai democracy.

What if you want a smart phone but don't want prompt pay app? I for one never use my smart phone to pay for anything nor do I use credit cards especially in LOS. Also only use the safest ATM's around Citibank's because it is inside of bank hard to rig it there.

Haha that's wot u think, Ever heard of inside job? ??

Save the fingers for police and victims pointing at criminals and fingers used during traffic disputes...

Instead...capture the imprint of the anal-sphincter...which can be kissed by those demanding fingerprinting...wai2.gif

Another scheme without thinking. I will never do that. Who would have thought that Thailand would head into a Myanmar situation, when Myanmar finally realized that it's not in their best interest to have a military government. They are digging a hole for the Thai people. Forced passivity through law and education.

Another scheme without thinking. I will never do that. Who would have thought that Thailand would head into a Myanmar situation, when Myanmar finally realized that it's not in their best interest to have a military government. They are digging a hole for the Thai people. Forced passivity through law and education.

Could you explain the chain of logic that led from the proposed introduction of a voluntary payment system (something similar is available in Oz and I assume other countries) to what you wrote in your post?

Can either move with the technology or resist it complain and finish

up like that grumpy old man that lives up the road. I for one embrace

technology and look forward to these new initiatives.

**********************************************************************************

What if someone takes down the power grid?

Who will you embrace then, or cry like a girl?

I'm not that grumpy old man, i'm just someone that's worked with

technology from the start, i know a lot about it, it can be hacked.

You could lose a lot.

It is interesting to note that in London both MasterCard and Visa have reported big rises in the number of contactless card payments as a result of the surge in the use of smartphone payments apps. Earlier this year MasterCard launched something that would probably be far more successful than the PromptPay system being rolled out which is "pay by selfie" feature which allows facial biometrics or a fingerprint to be used instead of PINS and passwords.