Thailand Is Closing Another Three Islands, To Save The Endangered Coral Reef

webfact

Thailand Is Closing Another Three Islands, To Save The Endangered Coral Reef
TARA WATSON

“The reasons for coral damage in the Koh Khai area is from the coral-bleaching process, which occurs naturally and from human activity”

PHUKET: -- People are the worst. Or at least overzealous tourist are, as Thailand’s government has announced that they has been forced to close three of its islands off the coast of Phuket – Koh Khai Nok, Koh Khai Nui and Koh Khai Naiin – because of excessive touristing.

The move is part of an effort to preserve natural resources and save endangered coral reefs and follows the closure just two weeks ago of the famous Koh Tachai island to visitors.

On Wednesday, marine officials said the closures are due to a massive increase in tourism, which has caused irreversible damage to the already endangered coral reef.

Full story: http://thevine.com.au/travel/thailand-closing-three-islands-blames-excessive-touristing/

-- The Vine 2016-06-20

I agree over tourism can be damaging coral reefs however, bleaching is cause by a rise in water temperature. Zero to do with tourism. Unless they really think all those bodies swimming nearby are heating the ocean up lol.

I agree over tourism can be damaging coral reefs however, bleaching is cause by a rise in water temperature. Zero to do with tourism. Unless they really think all those bodies swimming nearby are heating the ocean up lol.

One of the main causes of bleaching is peeing and pooping. Many people there, lots of pee and poop.

Old news, already been discussed.

Does anyone know which of the Khai Islands is used by the Phi Phi tours? I know that the boats and the hordes of tourists are still stopping there, so can I assume it's not one of those mentioned in the article?

peeing and pooping in the sea???

must be those peskie package tourists, they think its normal to gob in the pool after swimming. piss and dump in the road,so defacating and pissing in the sea near the coral reefs probaly normal too

One of the main causes of bleaching is peeing and pooping. Many people there, lots of pee and poop.

Sorry, forgot. Sun cream is also a major issue for coral reefs.

Sorry, forgot. Sun cream is also a major issue for coral reefs.

Sounds like they've been using too much skin-whitening cream!

Old news, already been discussed.

Does anyone know which of the Khai Islands is used by the Phi Phi tours? I know that the boats and the hordes of tourists are still stopping there, so can I assume it's not one of those mentioned in the article?

AFAIK they will have to stop now. Depending on the operator they are using 2 islands, both mentioned as closing now. I think also beach and land encroachment is a big issue BTW.