Thailand's Winning Mix: Tourism, Leicester City and Cheap Oil

webfact

Thailand's Winning Mix: Tourism, Leicester City and Cheap Oil
by Enda Curran

BANGKOK: -- When it comes to hefty trade surpluses, the likes of China, Japan, Germany and South Korea make the list of usual suspects.

But without much fanfare, Thailand — best known for its beaches, food, military coups and more recently, the football heroes Leicester City — has run up the biggest current-account surplus among major emerging markets.

The current-account surplus in the first quarter ballooned to an annualized 10.2 percent of gross domestic product, an improvement that Richard Iley, chief economist for Asia at BNP Paribas, describes as "phenomenal."

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-19/thailand-s-winning-mix-tourism-leicester-city-and-cheap-oil

-- Bloomberg 2016-06-20

Come to LoS and see LCFC isn't exactly going to work and since Thais only like to be associated with success if the team doesn't keep winning trophies etc they'll quickly be forgotten about as Thais realise they're really life long fans of whichever team is on top at the time.

On my current Bucket List is to actually see someone here wearing a LC shirt.

On my current Bucket List is to actually see someone here wearing a LC shirt.--Nong Khai Kid

One would hesitate to ask what wonders of the world or other amazing things got crowded out to add that dying wish on,

On my current Bucket List is to actually see someone here wearing a LC shirt.--Nong Khai Kid

One would hesitate to ask what wonders of the world or other amazing things got crowded out to add that dying wish on,

You have no idea how long my list is and in any case it's my list !

I'm not in the least interested or worried about what you have on yours, if you have one.

To use another platitude: Get a life.

I'm not in the least interested or worried about what you have on yours, if you have one.

“bucket list”, it is a list of all the goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfil and life experiences you desire to experience before you die. ... http://www.urbandictionary.com/

And yours is to see someone in a football shirt------coffee1.gif

Well maybe the " Kid" has led a fulfilled and satisfying life, and in his ( hopefully long) twilight years has very little of substance to bother about?

He has certainly cracked winding a few of us up!

Edited by JAG

it really doesnt take a smart guy to kick a ball as a team. ZERO excitement Zero Danger BORING. they are all here for the cheap, easy women, its well documented.

CHeap oil MEANS THAT EVERYTHING PRODUCED WITH OIL WILL HAVE PRICES WILL GO DOWN. ... In a normal economy. CHeap oil DOESNT MEAN PEOPLE HAVE MORE SPENDING POWER. So the Thai Ministery of Saying Stupid Things is at work again.

But in thailand the prices goes up.

Bookies giving 5,000-1 odds at the beginning of the season......

The blessings of the monks, from the Wat Traimit Withayaram Woraviharn (Golden Buddha) Temple, in Bangkok, are being credited with adding a divine element to the team’s play.

About 10 monks from the temple are flown to Britain for most home games by the club’s Thai owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha to bless the players before the kick-off, before spending the match deep in meditation in a specially designated room at Leicester City’s King Power stadium.

96461994_Jamie_Vardy-large_trans++hQelLr Top goalscorer Jamie Vardy speaks to a monk Credit:

At face value it looks great but this is not the full picture: it reflects an unbalanced economy and the fact that imports are doing poorly as no one has any money to buy. The benefits of a surplus generated in this way are illusory.

it really doesnt take a smart guy to kick a ball as a team. ZERO excitement Zero Danger BORING. they are all here for the cheap, easy women, its well documented.

CHeap oil MEANS THAT EVERYTHING PRODUCED WITH OIL WILL HAVE PRICES WILL GO DOWN. ... In a normal economy. CHeap oil DOESNT MEAN PEOPLE HAVE MORE SPENDING POWER. So the Thai Ministery of Saying Stupid Things is at work again.

But in thailand the prices goes up.

Yes---Vardy (one of their top players) is being paid 48 million baht a month so he is in real need for a cheap women--in fact your probably see him in the Nana haggling over the bar fine price............coffee1.gif

One of mine is to see your future post with a picture of a Thai wearing a LCFC Shirt.

We're in it together brother!

gigglem.gif

The current-account surplus in the first quarter ballooned to an annualized 10.2 percent of gross domestic product

That's wonderful!

This surplus can help pay down Prayut's 500 billion baht government deficit going into May 2016, TAT's 780 million baht it received in a special budget request and The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives' 217 million baht fund in addition to an over 1.1 billion baht budget which the government previously approved to help the drought-affected farmers in those provinces.

Or the military can buy more military hardware with the surplus cash.

Decisions, decisions.