Thailand's security guard industry now suffers man power shortage

webfact

Paid to sleep and do as little as possible.

Like the Soi dogs, all I see is them do is

eat and sleep.....security 555555555.

To be fair, if your hourly pay would not even buy you as much as a small can of beer, I very much doubt diligence and enthusiasm for the job would be in the forefront of your mind...

"A law that regulates the security guards sector and it took effect in March this year has dealt a severe blow on the industry with many operators complaining that about 40 percent of their guards had resigned as they didn't meet the required qualifications stated by the law."

Another SNAFU...

Winnie

I suppose they make a few baht on the side by telling their thieving mates when one of the houses is vacant due to the owners/tenants are on holiday.Or telling what sort of safe they have.Or turning a blind eye to strangers that have somehow got into the complex.If i lived on one these housing estates,i would never let a 'security guard' anywhere inside my place.

Maybe if they were paid enough to be honest and actually take a pride in their job,things might be different.Still,having seen some of these 'guards',it proves that if you give him a whistle,he goes through a personality change of self importance.Give a guard a whistle and he never stops blowing the f#####g thing.

I suppose they make a few baht on the side by telling their thieving mates when one of the houses is vacant due to the owners/tenants are on holiday.Or telling what sort of safe they have.Or turning a blind eye to strangers that have somehow got into the complex.If i lived on one these housing estates,i would never let a 'security guard' anywhere inside my place.

Maybe if they were paid enough to be honest and actually take a pride in their job,things might be different.Still,having seen some of these 'guards',it proves that if you give him a whistle,he goes through a personality change of self importance.Give a guard a whistle and he never stops blowing the f#####g thing.

Living and working in the centre of Bangkok, i cannot remember the last time i have seen a secuirty guard blowing his whistle- even less so in a Condo or housing project.

A few year's accumulated wisdom:

Never give a Thai a microphone.

Never give a Thai a title with the word 'manager' in it.

Never give a Thai 'security guard' a uniform.

Never give a Thai 'security guard' a whistle (as you say).

Never give a Thai 'security guard' one of those red flashing stick things.

Never give a Thai 'security guard' a promotion.

Winnie

'... Mr Narongrit Ornmanee, said the stringent qualifications had forced about 40% of his guards, mostly hilltribe people, to resign.' Well, one has to wonder just what training he gave to his hilltribe guards? Certainly, power is not the only thing many are short of.

If the security officers were professional, competent

With their duties, they would be paid considerably

More money. Unskilled men/boys eating and sleeping

Don't deserve more than the price of a can of soda

Per hour. They sit with their phones playing games

And are upset they have to raise the gate at our

Village....We should pay them more?? Never!!

Edited by little mary sunshine

'... Mr Narongrit Ornmanee, said the stringent qualifications had forced about 40% of his guards, mostly hilltribe people, to resign.' Well, one has to wonder just what training he gave to his hilltribe guards? Certainly, power is not the only thing many are short of.

I see another angle.

Security guards are employed to protect property and lives, but most have never had any training at all, don't know the law, don't know who to contact if there is a problem and we pay them a pittance and expect them to be committed.

Seems to me it's all out of balance.