CEC Breakfast Club at River Market Finished.

fcgprg

Just a few comments and observations. I didn't feel a real need to do any follow-up comments after Saturday's meeting as I was happy the breakfast at the River Market will continue. I think Nancy addressed the issue "Head-On" at the CEC meeting. There appeared to be some uneasiness that the board may have initially misstated the reason the breakfast was discontinued. The bottom line is that the breakfast is back and there must have some talks/meetings to continue the CEC/River Market breakfast. Kudos to both sides for noting that many people enjoyed it and that it would have been missed. For those who don't want to pay the $7 just stay away. No one is getting rich on this buffet. I was appalled to hear that some people were actually carrying out food!!! Who doesn't know what a buffet is? Get there when the gun goes off!!! Pig out as much as you want and stay an extra 1/2 hour while you finish everything on your plate!!! But you DON'T have the right to take anything away in your purse, pocket or knapsack!!! I personally haven't seen this done but apparently it has been going on!!! Maybe a sign should be posted for the idiots and cheapskates who don't know what a buffet is! Sorry if I offend anyone but the fact that people take things out of this is offensive to me!!!! It ruins it for everyone!!!!! Seven dollars and people think they have a right to feed themselves for the next 3 days?!?!?! This type of behavior should ban the person!!!

Also, it appears the club still has a type of George Bush Syndrome..."OH, THE PAST PRESIDENT DID THIS AND DID THAT!!!" Judge the club and the board for what they're doing now....not what happened in the past! Lots of activities and events are available to enjoy. If you don't wish to partake then don't! But judge people by the work that they do now. Not by what happened in the past!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few comments and observations. I didn't feel a real need to do any follow-up comments after Saturday's meeting as I was happy the breakfast at the River Market will continue. I think Nancy addressed the issue "Head-On" at the CEC meeting. There appeared to be some uneasiness that the board may have initially misstated the reason the breakfast was discontinued. The bottom line is that the breakfast is back and there must have some talks/meetings to continue the CEC/River Market breakfast. Kudos to both sides for noting that many people enjoyed it and that it would have been missed. For those who don't want to pay the $7 just stay away. No one is getting rich on this buffet. I was appalled to hear that some people were actually carrying out food!!! Who doesn't know what a buffet is? Get there when the gun goes off!!! Pig out as much as you want and stay an extra 1/2 hour while you finish everything on your plate!!! But you DON'T have the right to take anything away in your purse, pocket or knapsack!!! I personally haven't seen this done but apparently it has been going on!!! Maybe a sign should be posted for the idiots and cheapskates who don't know what a buffet is! Sorry if I offend anyone but the fact that people take things out of this is offensive to me!!!! It ruins it for everyone!!!!! Seven dollars and people think they have a right to feed themselves for the next 3 days?!?!?! This type of behavior should ban the person!!!

Also, it appears the club still has a type of George Bush Syndrome..."OH, THE PAST PRESIDENT DID THIS AND DID THAT!!!" Judge the club and the board for what they're doing now....not what happened in the past! Lots of activities and events are available to enjoy. If you don't wish to partake then don't! But judge people by the work that they do now. Not by what happened in the past!

Uhhh ohhh. Thanks for the update. It is a shame that the board were not upfront about it in the first place. Really good news for the club members who attend the breakfast club.

The president in her latest rants could so easily have said what you have just said . I can understand why Dave would be unhappy. Anyone caught taking food away should be banned immediately.

Instead, it's simply been an interesting experiment to sit back and see how long it would take for the outcome of Saturday's meeting to be reported here. All I can surmise is that those that protested about the end don't actually come to CEC events and just look for any excuse to tear down and criticize those who are trying to make Chiang Mai a better place to live.

This is puzzling: if I read Uhhh Ohhh's post correctly then it's back on at the River Market. Why would someone who was disappointed about that then speak up on the topic in the meeting, when it's announced that it's back on?

CEC is an expat club. Thaivisa is an expat forum. It's the same pool of people and there's clearly a lot of overlap. It makes complete sense to bring some topic about one place up on the other. Much like any major change or event at Thaivisa would likely be informally discussed in a CEC meeting/gathering.

As much as Thaivisa is often criticized, it does take the high ground on many topics, with very sensible rules. For example no marketing/fund raising or discussing investment opportunities to other members, and that's a blessing. GIven CEC's checkered past on this, a similar rule would likely be viewed favorably by people who still avoid CEC.

And I'm not speaking just about me -- I'm talking about those who think the cost of the breakfast is too high and show off the 100 baht meal they get at their local hole-in-wall, implying that dump could possibly be a replacement for River Market -- how do you think Dave and his staff feel when they see those posts? And I'm thinking about the CEC Board members and Welcome Committee members who arrive early for every breakfast and make sure everyone, especially the newcomers, feel welcome and have someone to chat with. When was the last time you got out from behind your keyboard and spent time sharing your knowledge of Chiang Mai with a newly arrived retiree in a positive, upbeat way?

???? Who thinks the cost of breakfast is too high? There were two posts making a suggestion, which seems appropriate and helpful given that the message was that a new venue was needed.

One of them mentioned the price level at the suggested place, but nowhere did it infer that the old price at River Market was too high. (Reference: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/926363-cec-breakfast-club-at-river-market-finished/page-2#entry10883842 ) and the suggestion was @KhuaLek, which is a modern air conditioned coffee shop/restaurant, located in the same area and also on the river. It's would probably be too small, but I can see why someone would mention it.

And then Gonzo suggested PunPun (surprise. smile.png ) which is hardly priced any lower but does have a bit of an expat following and he's shown to be very open to discounts or specials for locals, making it also a very reasonable suggestion. And... that was it.

So are these the places you are referring to with "a local hole-in-wall, a dump that couldn't possibly be a replacement for River Market"? It must be because they were the only suggestions.

Uhhh ohhh. Thanks for the update. It is a shame that the board were not upfront about it in the first place. Really good news for the club members who attend the breakfast club.

The president in her latest rants could so easily have said what you have just said . I can understand why Dave would be unhappy. Anyone caught taking food away should be banned immediately.

Well, a shame in the sense that it would have made for an excellent riot, even better than the one we're having now. wink.png

I do get it now, of course: Due to... let's see....: 'a misunderstanding about the concept of a buffet' among some CEC members, Dave @ RiverMarket would have told them to go do their best impression of Chinese-Package-Tourists-at-the-Shrimp-Trough some place else.

CEC then reflected on this and said they'd bring it up with attending members and generally promised they'd shape up, and could they please-please-please have a second chance, to which Dave must have said 'Aww shucks, youguys..' so now they're back.

See why Nancy wouldn't have posted that here? It'd be a complete riot, with people outdoing each other trying to be clever and reminding the CEC hordes that a buffet is not quite the same as a free supermarket. biggrin.png

Well put Winnie. I too was more than a little disapointed in respect of the local hole in the wall dump comment.

It does not reflect well on the club at all.

Having been to all venues I would suggest that after that comment the hole in the wall dumps clearly offer a much classier and honest company than the CEC buffet kleptomaniacs and ill mannered CEC TV postings like that referenced.

How can one espouse to be a welcoming and informative club with such behaviours beggars belief.

The River Market is very nice...it deserves so much better than to be associated with the behaviours displayed by some at the breakfasts.

Dave, please keep an eye on the cutlery and condiments......

The situation was a little more complex than you guys are making it out to be and as I've said, if you want to discuss CEC business, come to a CEC meeting.

I know you find this hard to believe, but we don't discuss ThaiVisa at CEC meetings.

As far as who may be missing at the next breakfast -- sadly, NorthernJohn. He always was a Breakfast Club regular. I don't know what Dave is going to do with all the left over bacon now. Let the record show, that NorthernJohn had nothing to do with the hiccup. NorthernJohn always cleaned his plate. Dave hates it when people take food and then waste it and NJ never tried to carry away food to eat later. In fact, it was the heart-felt messages of support from NorthernJohn and others for how important the breakfast is to people, not just for the food, but also the social time that really helped to turn the situation around.

https://madmimi.com/p/56ac08?fe=1&pact=113729-132351263-6149562782-cce973208107a11f6fa084c5bb69b6c7d02c3067

Well put Winnie. I too was more than a little disapointed in respect of the local hole in the wall dump comment.

It does not reflect well on the club at all.

Having been to all venues I would suggest that after that comment the hole in the wall dumps clearly offer a much classier and honest company than the CEC buffet kleptomaniacs and ill mannered CEC TV postings like that referenced.

How can one espouse to be a welcoming and informative club with such behaviours beggars belief.

The River Market is very nice...it deserves so much better than to be associated with the behaviours displayed by some at the breakfasts.

Dave, please keep an eye on the cutlery and condiments......

Oh for goodness sake, mamborobert and Winnie -- people have been complaining about the cost of the River Market breakfast not just on this thread, but on other ThaiVisa threads about where to get breakfast in Chiang Mai and on the CEC member survey we did in March. I wasn't just singling out the several venues mentioned at this time.

nice to see that your raving rants of to morning, has changed to a more sombre mood

but the gag has been lifted , and you are in severe turbelance mode

with a little compassion,tact,and above all, sheer honesty to the O/P at the start of this thread would have curtailed the posts that followed

you certainly need a good public relations guru , by your side, this thread has proven that

a lovely Beer Lao Dark smile.png ,earlyevening to allbiggrin.png

times have not changed it seems over the years

as i said in last post my friend hosted the group

he put on good snacks nuts chips sliced meat and cheese

thinking they would spend money on a meal and drinks over bar

sold 3meals 12 drinks

the staff kept the tables full off snacks

till they saw everyone putting snacks in there pockets

an aged person comes. new country new town no friends

turns to expat group

guess what the street smart expats in the group do to him

BS...sorry, ES.

Are you a member of the CEC?

If yes, did you bring this subject up with the club President at the first available opportunity, face to face, like at Saturday's meeting? If yes, then you should have responded there and then. Maybe even challenge for president yourself if you think you can convince enough people you are good enough to handle this responsibility.

If no, then I'll be as polite as possible, this forum is not the place to air your grievances.

If you are not a member, then your immaturity is beyond measure.

There are moderators to decide whether comments are relevant to the topic. Thanks for your input, I for one don't need you to decide what I should be reading on this forum. As for immaturity, try to be a little tolerant before you throw a tantrum and stamp your feet.

Well its obvious he didn't have the intestinal fortitude to talk face to face, but hide behind his anonymity and post garbage similar to the post of his that was deleted previously by the mods. And as I said, I was (and still am) merely being polite.

nice to see that your raving rants of to morning, has changed to a more sombre mood

but the gag has been lifted , and you are in severe turbelance mode

with a little compassion,tact,and above all, sheer honesty to the O/P at the start of this thread would have curtailed the posts that followed

you certainly need a good public relations guru , by your side, this thread has proven that

a lovely Beer Lao Dark smile.png ,earlyevening to allbiggrin.png

So it's a NO, you're not even a member then. coffee1.gif

you could have easily said at the beginning

O/P we have a problem ,and are doing our very best to reverse the decision

will inform in due course, your comments are greatly appreciated

tact ,compassion and HONESTY

and bouquets would have been the order of the day

think about it

ita a jennifer warne good evening to all my readerssmile.png

Well, a shame in the sense that it would have made for an excellent riot, even better than the one we're having now. wink.png

I do get it now, of course: Due to... let's see....: 'a misunderstanding about the concept of a buffet' among some CEC members, Dave @ RiverMarket would have told them to go do their best impression of Chinese-Package-Tourists-at-the-Shrimp-Trough some place else.

CEC then reflected on this and said they'd bring it up with attending members and generally promised they'd shape up, and could they please-please-please have a second chance, to which Dave must have said 'Aww shucks, youguys..' so now they're back.

See why Nancy wouldn't have posted that here? It'd be a complete riot, with people outdoing each other trying to be clever and reminding the CEC hordes that a buffet is not quite the same as a free supermarket. biggrin.png

If my memory is correct

The Board were going to talk and decide After the Saturday meeting

Members were at that stage not mentioned to participate in the decion

SO if it was not for this forum who knows where it would have been

I stand corrected if i am wrong

Some one who has a photographic memory can advise

I am not going to scroll;; through all these posts

E/S -- has it ever dawned on you that not everything could be discussed at the time this thread was started because the situation was still fluid and the outcome unknown?

At the time this thread was started you had already said in the newsletter 'Effective from July 1st the Breakfast club will no longer be at CEC sponsor River Market restaurant". That leaves no one in doubt as to the CECs actions.

If what you now say was true you would have had no reason to mention this in the newsletter on the 20th June. The outcome may have been unknown to other members of the Board but it looks like you had already made your mind up as it since transpires.

The breakfast is alive. Long live the breakfast buffet!!! ?

Unfortunately for mecI arrive this Friday pm for just 2 weeks so wont be able to experience it. I will be sure to come if its on the next time I am in town.

It's so sad that for some people, their only knowledge of what transpires at the CEC is what they read in the e-Newsletter (and probably on the CEC website and Facebook). The entire point of the organization is for expats to come together to meet each other, socialize, make friends, develop local knowledge and their own personal network within Chiang Mai.

It seems there are some here who are making judgments about the organization based solely on what was written in a couple of newsletters. They didn't bother to get off their high horses and come in from Mae Rim or where ever to hear the live announcement at the Saturday meeting to learn the actual outcome nor will they come to the actual breakfast where they can chat face-to-face with Dave the RM owner, me and other CEC Board members and ask all the questions they'd like, make suggestions for change and even offer to help make things better.

I think this thread has run it's course and I'm done posting although I know some of the "usual suspects" will come back with retorts. They have nothing else to do with their time, apparently.

nancy l

your attacks for years are never ending on the immigration people

or you call the zoo

now someone says something about your little pen of sheep

cant handle it back what does that show?

your last post ended

i think this thread has run its course

they have nothing else to do with there time apparently?

It's so sad that for some people, their only knowledge of what transpires at the CEC is what they read in the e-Newsletter (and probably on the CEC website and Facebook). The entire point of the organization is for expats to come together to meet each other, socialize, make friends, develop local knowledge and their own personal network within Chiang Mai.

It seems there are some here who are making judgments about the organization based solely on what was written in a couple of newsletters. They didn't bother to get off their high horses and come in from Mae Rim or where ever to hear the live announcement at the Saturday meeting to learn the actual outcome nor will they come to the actual breakfast where they can chat face-to-face with Dave the RM owner, me and other CEC Board members and ask all the questions they'd like, make suggestions for change and even offer to help make things better.

I think this thread has run it's course and I'm done posting although I know some of the "usual suspects" will come back with retorts. They have nothing else to do with their time, apparently.

It is sad when someone as so much to say about others, will not admit that they made a fundamental mistake by publicising the demise of the breakfast club.

When it would have been better to sort the problem out first then give the members the information.

As a comparison do you have knowledge of what transpires in the internal workings of one organisation that you constantly comment about, i dont think you do so get off your high horse and for once admit your initial newsletter comment was misjudged to say the least.

I don't call Immigration "the zoo" I wouldn't be that disrespectful.

That's the same guy with the horse.

So much for "done posting".

As for you not calling Immigration the zoo.... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/828918-pretty-good-experience-at-cm-immigration/page-2 post #34 ( my guess is there are a lot more)

"Folk Guitar, to clear up one point you brought up about when you worked with Assist Thai Visa and they handled your 12-month extension and you didn't have to go into the Immigration office. Those days are over. Now you have to go, even if you employ an agent. You see, you have to have your photo taken at the office (despite attaching a pretty color photo to the TM7 form). I think one reason is to prove you were actually present in the province at the time of application. It's just a minor inconvenience and can still be money well spent to use an agent for some people since they make sure all your paperwork is in order and get you in-and-out of the zoo in quickly. This need for in-person application seems to be a new post-coup rule.

And no, Elgordo, the visa agent and Immigration officer are not chatting about what a stupid idiot the client is in Thai in front of you when they're processing your paperwork. They realize there are some foreigners who understand Thai and still choose to use a visa agent just to expedite the process. I can see the day coming when I do this just because I'm getting where I'm finding getting up at 3:30 am to join the queue to be more and more taxing. Sometimes you just have to admit that you're getting older and preserving your health is worth a few thousand baht. The last time I was in the morning queue, I tore a 1500 baht dress on a car license plate in the melee. Made me wonder how much money I was really saving by not using an agent."

I don't call Immigration "the zoo" I wouldn't be that disrespectful.

That's the same guy with the horse.

So much for "done posting".

As for you not calling Immigration the zoo.... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/828918-pretty-good-experience-at-cm-immigration/page-2 post #34 ( my guess is there are a lot more)

Come on guys lighten up and remember Nancy has a VIBS Card which permits her to change her statements from day to day contradicting herself and denying the truth as with the zoo comment, many other disrespectful comments about immigration and the CEC breakfast game for just a few of numerous examples. No acknowledgment or apology needed when you have the VIBS Card.

"It's so sad that for some people, their only knowledge of what transpires at the CEC is what they read in the e-Newsletter (and probably on the CEC website and Facebook)."

Uh, this is the modern reality. Kids used to play (happily) with wooden blocks; now it's Dara cartoons on a smart phone. Isn't the point of a newsletter and website and Facebook to keep people up to date and connected?

"I don't know what Dave is going to do with all the left over bacon now."

It's hard to read the tea leaves in this thread for all the smoke and mirrors, but is it the fact that the breakfast was discontinued because some people were secreting food out of the venue? What's wrong with that? It's a buffet; what is done with the food that is leftover? If some oldster wants to put bacon in their pockets, weird as that might be, who cares? What is the cost of a bit of food taken out? It's a set amount of food put out for consumption. If someone wants to take a few sausages or toast back for the dog, what's the rub? I've done that before, and I bet many others have too.

"Stealing food?" Please, come down off your cloud. . . .

​​"If the CEC didn't have so many skeletons in its closet nobody would give a hoot where they ate their breakfast or how much they paid for it."

Do tell. While the new leader(s) say they are different, and the past is the past, history is a subject of study. I would be interested to know about this part of the group's history. Or is this something that is being covered up?

"When was the last time you got out from behind your keyboard and spent time sharing your knowledge of Chiang Mai with a newly arrived retiree in a positive, upbeat way?"

This is a pretty condescending comment, in my opinion. It makes the "newly arrived retiree" sound like some halfwit, shuffling lost kitten who has somehow arrived in this alien country totally unprepared to function.

I've never been to any lonely expat nurturing meeting, be it with folding chairs or a buffet breakfast. Now, granted, I have overheard some elderly folk talking as if they never did a stroke of homework about Thailand and how to navigate even the most fundamental aspects -- so there are morons out there that are in fact candidates for instruction on basic expat motor skills, but I don't think they are anywhere near a majority.

I could join the expats' group, although, as Groucho said, "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." But it might be interesting to see the sales pitches for insurance, 800K baht loans and gold-plated wheelchairs.

What are the advantages of being in this club? Free keychain? Ten percent off seniors' meals at Denny's?

Hard to fathom why anyone posts on this forum with the legions of antagonistic assclowns that post for no other reason than to cr@p all over others. (Herd mentality, anyone?)

The people with obvious axes to grind (the same old, same old on nearly every thread it seems) are pathetic and several are creepy thread stalkers.

Just to clear a few things up here while you all have your fun, there wasn't any large proliferation of food from The River Market breakfast buffet. I think everyone is giving a little too much credence to the rumor. Sure people like to eat a lot. That's what a buffet can be for. No problem with that. The breakfast was a treat for a lot of people that like to have a hearty breakfast or not a couple times a month and sit around and have good conversation with their friends or to make new friends. And contrary to another set of rumors it was never a venue to sell anyone on anything, even when Alan was around.

The River Market has been doing the breakfast for a few years and The River Market and the club have worked diligently to make it a good quality breakfast at a decent price. I personally made sure that we were doing some nice breakfast items and trying some new items and also keeping everything warm and fresh. The event has been growing, even in the slow season.

So we all decided to stick with it. Nancy was pivotal in the decision. Be happy, see you on Friday and enjoy the breakfast and make some friends. Don't want to go? Don't go.

Diplomatico: "Hard to fathom why anyone posts on this forum with the legions of antagonistic assclowns that post for no other reason than to cr@p all over others. (Herd mentality, anyone?) The people with obvious axes to grind (the same old, same old on nearly every thread it seems) are pathetic and several are creepy thread stalkers."

And then there is the "elevated class" who shine their spotlight of "meaningful truth" down from on high disparaging the lowly "assclowns" of the forum.

I am genuflecting as I type. wai.gif

So now that it seems that the breakfast is back on, what was the reason again it was stopped?

good question

The Commander In Cheif, simply avoided this issue like the plaque,anyone close to the money ended up with a barrage of nonsense rants and lies (zoo quote),from her

must have been a hot item ,not to give a straight honest answer to the O/P,who was very rudely ignored by her ,like mondays dirty washing

any how the thread showed up her true colours ,and E/S is moving onto a better grazing paddockbiggrin.png

a nice lazy arvo to all my readerssmile.png

Archived