CEC Breakfast Club at River Market Finished.

fcgprg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm disappointed to see the CEC morning breakfast will no longer be at The River Market.....no matter whose decision it was. I'm not a big buffet person and I did not attend every breakfast but this buffet was done right! They had a GREAT variety of food and the quality is always very good! Also, what a nice atmosphere right on the river! It's going to be tough to beat this venue. Let's see what they come up with! I know attendance can vary especially during this low season. Maybe the River Market would consider running their own Friday morning buffet....without CEC sponsorship. I know I'd still attend and I know a lot of other people would as well. I've taken numerous people to this and they always enjoy the breakfast at the River Market! People can vote with their feet and what they like the best.....the new CEC venue or The River Market!

I'm disappointed to see the CEC morning breakfast will no longer be at The River Market.....no matter whose decision it was. I'm not a big buffet person and I did not attend every breakfast but this buffet was done right! They had a GREAT variety of food and the quality is always very good! Also, what a nice atmosphere right on the river! It's going to be tough to beat this venue. Let's see what they come up with! I know attendance can vary especially during this low season. Maybe the River Market would consider running their own Friday morning buffet....without CEC sponsorship. I know I'd still attend and I know a lot of other people would as well. I've taken numerous people to this and they always enjoy the breakfast at the River Market! People can vote with their feet and what they like the best.....the new CEC venue or The River Market!

That would be a good idea

if they had a similar breakfast

i would also consider

but i think it would be too hard for them to keep it going

Only time will tell now

We will all wait till what is said on the Saturday meeting

i believe it could get heated

Being that members were not consulted

To say people will have their say on Saturday is a cop out

Many people have things scheduled,

Like i do

Only time will tell

i will wait for what is said on Saturday

Will be interesting on Saturday Afternoon posts

i would also consider

Only time will tell now

Like i do

Only time will tell

As has been said before if River Market ended the deal then there is nothing to consult the members about as it was not the club's decision so nothing to get heated about

All that can happen in that case is that the club informs its members that River Market is no longer available

i would also consider

Only time will tell now

Like i do

Only time will tell

Is this poetry?

i would also consider

Only time will tell now

Like i do

Only time will tell

As has been said before if River Market ended the deal then there is nothing to consult the members about as it was not the club's decision so nothing to get heated about

All that can happen in that case is that the club informs its members that River Market is no longer available

Right, but if that was the case then that's easily answerable here, without unnecessary vagueness: For example: "River Market cancelled it and/or raised prices to be prohibitively expensive, therefore we're forced to find another venue starting with the Meridien which we could find on short notice but if anyone has good ideas on location then let's hear it at the next meeting."

See how easy that is? So clearly it's something else...

(And yes I'd love a breakfast option at River Market, every day, and it doesn't need to be a buffet either.)

Right, but if that was the case then that's easily answerable here, without unnecessary vagueness: For example: "River Market cancelled it and/or raised prices to be prohibitively expensive, therefore we're forced to find another venue starting with the Meridien which we could find on short notice but if anyone has good ideas on location then let's hear it at the next meeting."

See how easy that is? So clearly it's something else...

(And yes I'd love a breakfast option at River Market, every day, and it doesn't need to be a buffet either.)

Whatever the reason, I'm pretty sure it's a private club that has regularly scheduled meetings at which to discuss their business. Why discuss it in a public forum that is populated by a large group of churlish, self-righteous septuagenarians who act as self-appointed keyboard vigilantes, many of whom rarely post anything positive or of substance in said forum? (Make-believe talking animals, anyone?)

I suspect there are some actual CEC members who care about this but for many others it's just another lame excuse to spew derogatory and inflammatory verbiage.

>>Nonsense.

Very few snobs left among the expats.<<

You have not been to Mae Rim then .

Are you sure the Mae Rim snobs are farangs?

Maybe they're just hi-so Thais ​passing as farangs.

​First they started adopting the lifestyle and manners; now with cosmetic surgery the physiognomies are changing as well.

It might be hard to tell the difference.

Once inside those gated communities you're in a brave new world.

the expat snobs will be ok at the

le meridieenn

as the local natives cant afford

Nonsense.

Very few snobs left among the expats.

Thais are the ones who are flourishing nowadays.

It's the farangs who are pinching pennies and looking seedy.

that's the way i see things as well. the economy has soared over the last 10 years in Thailand. the tables have turned.

As I said earlier, the place to discuss CEC business is at a CEC meeting. Some of the venues suggested and meals depicted are interesting, but remember that a CEC breakfast has some requirements beyond that of an individual going out for breakfast.

It occurs just twice a month, where a venue has to produce 50 - 60 meals (this time of year) up to 90-120 meals (during high season) of an assortment tempting, high quality food within a 20 minute window for some very demanding customers. And be prepared to welcome another 20 - 30 people who simply want to sit and chat with the other folks while drinking coffee/tea/water. Oh, and it's never certain exactly how many people will show up. The venue must have good restrooms, polite and adequate staff and sufficient parking -- all within easy songthaew range of the central city. A new view would be an added plus. And value pricing, of course. Fortunately, aircon isn't required since it's a morning event, but cover is in case it rains.

Now, this isn't too much to ask for is it?

The CEC Board had been thinking about adding some other social events, not related to calories, and maybe it's time to move onto those activities as replacement to being obligated to organizing a breakfast twice a month. Something to discuss at Saturday's meeting.

That full list of ideal requirements is going to be a real struggle I imagine.

McDonalds at Thapae covers most :)

I always thought Gymkhanna had a lot of potential to do/be a lot more but seems to float along in its own contentment. Would that we could all be like that.

I see Khualek has been mentioned in the thread, could do a lot worse than that, a view from the other side, and not so traumatic a change.

The statement made by the board was ,they have decided to explore other venues and formats for social gatherings. My point was if that is the case it would have been better to just make an announcement at the next general Meeting. If the decision was not of the boards making why try to cover the reason up.

It is then pointed out that these things should be discussed at the GM not on here. At which point the President then goes into all sorts of reasons why the changes are taking place . It is a newsletter for goodness sake I did not see private and confidential added to it.

But I will take note of what the President says ,I just hope she abides by the same rules.

Winnie: Post #40

"(And yes I'd love a breakfast option at River Market, every day, and it doesn't need to be a buffet either.)"

I would like to see that also, Winnie! I doubt River Market would do that this time of year but maybe an option, at least for an occasional buffet, during high season. I wonder what the attendance would be ie River Market versus the new CEC venue. At 250 baht that breaks out to just over $7 USD for breakfast. No additional taxes or gratuities required. The service and staff are always friendly. Unlimited coffee, juice and obviously a lot of varieties of GOOD food....not to mention the nice view. Plus it's been my experience that they don't run out of food! I'll miss it. I hope River Market comes back with something! That $7 price tag isn't much more than a large coffee and breakfast meal at McDonalds. My opinion is that this buffet was one of the best values in Chiang Mai!

^ Very difficult to do a buffet and make it profitable unless you're sure you're going to fill up the place. Hotels do manage that of course as all their guests make it down for breakfast, but for an independent restaurant I bet that's difficult, also noting that Westerners who want to spend 250 Baht on breakfast would mostly be tourists who already have that at their hotels.

(And catering to a demographic of churlish septuagenarians is notoriously difficult. wink.png )

It occurs just twice a month, where a venue of an assortment tempting, high quality food within a 20 minute window for some very demanding customers. And be prepared to welcome another 20 - 30 people who simply want to sit and chat with the other folks while drinking coffee/tea/water. Oh, and it's never certain exactly how many people will show up.

the Commander In Cheif says it all ^^^^^^

at 250 baht a punter, who would want this type of business,

E/S thinks Dashing Dave thumbsup.gif of River Market, has been very, very . generous supporting and sponsoring the C.E.C. smile.png but it comes to a point????

a Biill Medley good night to all my readersbiggrin.png

A few of the spoiled apples caused this..... The River Market did more than expected to please and yet some sour expats spoiled it for everyone. Hope you enjoy your new 250 baht croissant and 1 cup of coffee at the Meridien.

A few of the spoiled apples caused this..... The River Market did more than expected to please and yet some sour expats spoiled it for everyone. Hope you enjoy your new 250 baht croissant and 1 cup of coffee at the Meridien.

Oh my god. I thought CEC screened out and denied membership to spoiled apples and sour expats. You really mean that they can join too? Maybe there is hope for me yet.

Archived