Drunk drivers now must clean hospital morgues, observe real action at emergency rooms

webfact

Drunk drivers now must clean hospital morgues, observe real action at emergency rooms

drunk-driver-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Probation yesterday officially launched a program for 100 drunk drivers to clean hospital morgues in order to remind them of the consequences of their irresponsible driving that could be danger to lives of others sharing the same roads.

The first official trial of the program was made at Taksin Hospital.

The program was aimed to change motorist’s attitudes towards drink driving.

Cleaning hospital morgues is serve as a penalty under a new program to address the problem raised by driving while under the influence of alcohol.

It is hoped that the program, will raise their awareness to the hurt and loss that are the consequence of irresponsible driving.

Besides cleaning morgues, drunk drivers are also required to personally experience the atmosphere in the hospital’s emergency room which is another potent reminder for them to reconsider their actions and adopt a more socially responsible attitude.

The program was formulated from a joint effort between the relevant government departments such as the Department of Public Health. The general consensus is that a spell at morgues, however briefly, will be a more effective deterrent than the regular punishments.

The officials involved feel that no socially responsible human being will fail to be moved by such a direct and painful experience as to see a fellow human being injured and hurt which will improve the chances of them repenting.

All drivers arrested for drunk driving and sentenced by the courts to perform civic duties will now have to undergo similar experiences under the new program.

Deputy director-general of the Department of Probations Mr Prasarn Mahalitrakun said in the past, drunk drivers were ordered to clean up streets, traffic signs and the light.

But he said what was found was that most do not repent as most feel that it is only a punishment that must be endured.

So this year the department came up with the idea and testing it to see what would be different.

“We want to see what would happen to them now that they are directly shown the human consequence of their actions,” he said.

According to the Road Safety Centre, the past ‘7 deadly days’ during the Thai New Year holidays of Songkran revealed that there were 5,228 reported cases of drunk driving which is a staggering 29% increase over the previous year.

The program is hoped to bring down the figures of drunk drivers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/drunk-drivers-now-must-clean-hospital-morgues-observe-real-action-emergency-rooms/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-21

Does this mean they will have access to view the corpses in the morgue? If so I wonder what the families of the deceased would think of a line-up of of drunks being permitted such personal intrusion into sensitive family matters. What security measures will be taken to prevent unauthorised taking of photographs using smartphones.

A girl I dated a long time ago told me one day that she got very drunk the night before. So drunk, she could barely remember the drive home.

I said that was very stupid to which she agreed. I then told her she could have killed someone; "Kill someone? What about me? I could have died!!!!!"

And therein lies a huge problem with taking drink driving seriously. Not many are worried about who they hurt. This is why you need to come down hard on drink drivers. If they can't show any empathy, you have to deter them another way.

Decades ago, before mandatory seat belts, my father recognised that I showed all the signs of becoming a lunatic driver, so he arranged a vacation job for me as a hospital orderly: the shock value was huge and I changed my habits in a single day and became a defensive driver, lifelong habit now.

If managed well, this could be a good program.

I hope they are not left alone with the corpses,especially the female ones ,we know what Thai men are like

Some of us are a little simple, I refer to myself, maybe you could elaborate on the comment " we know what Thai men are like" as some of us do not know

go.png

Drunk drivers now must clean hospital morgues, observe real action at emergency rooms.

Good, now don't let that stop them from being fined and banned after the morgues have been cleaned.

go.png

Good idea, but....

If they are an alcoholic, they need to admit it and want help and attend rehab.

Cleaning and observing only goes so far with alcohol or substance dependence.

It might just piss them off, get more depressed and drink more!

I hope they are not left alone with the corpses,especially the female ones ,we know what Thai men are like

Are you really suggesting that Thai men are into necrophilia? You are not only sick and racist but .. ah nevermind I don't want to be suspended for saying what I really think of you.

Can they escape this "punishment" if they refuse a blood test? Can little miss I killed 8 people in a van protest that she wants public service closer to home? Silly of me to ask a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to.

Decades ago, before mandatory seat belts, my father recognised that I showed all the signs of becoming a lunatic driver, so he arranged a vacation job for me as a hospital orderly: the shock value was huge and I changed my habits in a single day and became a defensive driver, lifelong habit now.

If managed well, this could be a good program.

There's something about watching people scream in agony as you try to cut them from a car and administer first aid.

The emergency ward can be a real eye open.

'The officials involved feel that no socially responsible human being will fail to be moved by such a direct and painful experience as to see a fellow human being injured and hurt which will improve the chances of them repenting.'

The officials are quite correct but sadly social responsibility does not seem to exist here.