Drugs - Diabetes/BP Is there a limit to how much I can bring?

stuck

Drugs here in the US are dirt cheap if you take the right ones. Is there a limit to how much one can bring into the country? I'm referring to Blood Pressure/Diabetes drugs.

The rule is a 30 day supply. They do not usually count out tablets and people are usually OK bringing in more than that as long as the quantities look consistent with personal use.

If the meds you are on are inexpensive in the US they are likely dirt cheap in local brands here. It is only newer drugs still under patent or drugs which there is so little demand for that no local brand exists, that are expensive.

Suggest you post the names of the meds in question.

The rule is a 30 day supply. They do not usually count out tablets and people are usually OK bringing in more than that as long as the quantities look consistent with personal use.

If the meds you are on are inexpensive in the US they are likely dirt cheap in local brands here. It is only newer drugs still under patent or drugs which there is so little demand for that no local brand exists, that are expensive.

Suggest you post the names of the meds in question.

30 days is nuts. I was going to bring a year's worth. It would look like the biggest drug cache yet.

Amlodipine

Lisinipril

Glimepiride

Lipitor

Metformin

Atenolol

Yeah, that's what I take twice a day to stay alive.

Another observation, why would there be any limitation i.e. a 30 day supply when I can go into any Thai drugstore and buy the entire shelf if I want? Nothing in my list requires a prescription in Thailand.

All of these are available in locally made generic, though in the case if atorvastatin (Lipitor) there is only one brand and may prove a little hard to find. Simvastatin, though, is abundant and cheap.

All of these are over the counter meds in Thailand, no prescription required.

I would worry more about how you will manage if you require hospitalization while here ... do you have insurance that covers you overseas?

All of these are available in locally made generic, though in the case if atorvastatin (Lipitor) there is only one brand and may prove a little hard to find. Simvastatin, though, is abundant and cheap.

All of these are over the counter meds in Thailand, no prescription required.

I would worry more about how you will manage if you require hospitalization while here ... do you have insurance that covers you overseas?

Looks like quite a mess, doesn't it? Not to worry, I wouldn't step foot into Thailand without a decent expat insurance. I like air-conditioned hospitals.

With that said, I bike 9 miles every day on a real bike, not stationary.

My blood pressure is 110/70 and Sugar is between 80 and 130.

Better living through chemistry.

Another observation, why would there be any limitation i.e. a 30 day supply when I can go into any Thai drugstore and buy the entire shelf if I want? Nothing in my list requires a prescription in Thailand.

This is exactly what the Thai authority would want you to do. You are depriving the Thai pharmacies from earning your money.

Anyway, Metformin and its Thai version (Siamformet) is available in 500mg and 850mg.

This is exactly what the Thai authority would want you to do. You are depriving the Thai pharmacies from earning your money.

Anyway, Metformin and its Thai version (Siamformet) is available in 500mg and 850mg.

I take 1000mg 2 x a day. It's not big enough.

Then take 2 x 500 mg. Duh!

Incidentally, for Atorvastatin, Atorsan (the locally produced brand) is widely available. Atorvastatin Sandoz (imported) is also widely available and cheap.

Then take 2 x 500 mg. Duh!

Incidentally, for Atorvastatin, Atorsan (the locally produced brand) is widely available. Atorvastatin Sandoz (imported) is also widely available and cheap.

Then take 2 x 500 mg. Duh!....... NO not correct, the 1000mg believe are slow release, the 500mg are normal release.. so release over 12 hours v instant and gone within 4 hours.. Never found the 1000mg here only at Hospital. + need to see a Dr for the prescription 1st.

If the 1000mg are in fact are not slow release then 500 tub of 500mg = 299 baht.

​If you using a BS monitor then bring plenty of test strips.. I have the Accu-check Performa.. here the tubs are only 25 strips and cost 4 -450 baht each.. that is more than tubs of 100 strips in the UK, USA or Australia. thankfully a friend in Aus can buy them for me.

As a sideline question, I have a 26 year old son who is planning to visit me in August/September. He is a Type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic. I'm not sure if he's using a prepared insulin in Pen form with disposable needle tips or if he's using a syringe with separate insulin. Will he get through customs, etc. with these items? Are they available in Thailand without a prescription? If not, how would he get an emergency supply if necessary?

Thanks for any help regarding this subject.

There are dozens of local brands of metformin. If you are taking 100mg sustained release then Glucophage XR. Otherwise just take 2 500 mg doses of any brand. The sustained release is only an import and costs more. But non XR is very cheap.

I live here since Jan 2002 and stay 2x5 months.

Bring my medication for 5 months. (Home country social security)

Never got checked, I guess they could confiscate my Meds?

Metformin/Glucophage is free, maybe I should compare prices for what I pay for Asaflow, zanidip, Lipitor, Losartan, Sotalex...

• 2 weeks later...