Cheapest drugstore chain to buy meds in Bangkok?

stuck

It would help to know the drugs in question.

For local generics, the following shops give very good pricem, though whoich is cheaper will vary by drug:

Por Bor Pesat pharmacy on Sukhumvit 71, Klong Tan, at the intersection with Petchabury/Pattanahkhan Rd's, even soi side..the very last storefront before the intersection.

Roong Rote Pharmacy (รุ่งโรจน์เภสัช).Soi On-Nut (Sukhumvit Soi 77), away from Sukhumvit Road, about 40m on right side. Large stock of reasonably priced generics.

Unless you are buying in large quantity or buying something unusually expensive, though, may not be worth the hassle to travel to these places. I certainly wouldn't bother for say a few months supply of metformin as it is dirt cheap here (i.e. less than US $1 for a strip of 10) .

But do avoid the chain shops like Boots and Watsons and stick to "real" pharmacies i.e. ones that sell mostly pharmaceuticals. And be sure it has air conditioning.

I usually buy my prescription (mainly generic) diabetes and other drugs in the pharmacy opposite to Chula Hospital on the Rama IV Road. There are several pharmacy shops one after another as you work from Silom to Suriwong (closer to the corner of Suriwong Rd). I don't know the name of the shop, but it's always full of customers, and you simply check the price of your meds. It's easy to fine.

I usually buy my prescription (mainly generic) diabetes and other drugs in the pharmacy opposite to Chula Hospital on the Rama IV Road. There are several pharmacy shops one after another as you work from Silom to Suriwong (closer to the corner of Suriwong Rd). I don't know the name of the shop, but it's always full of customers, and you simply check the price of your meds. It's easy to fine.

This is where I buy my meds also. However I have found that you never know which one of the shops will have the best price on a particular item so I ask at each one. Now when I go there I will stock up from three different stores within a 100 meters of each other.

+1 for the Soi OnNut (Sukhumvit soi 77) reference there Sheryl). Cheaper than anywhere else I've found (for antibiotics and breathing/lung related drugs). 5 mins walk from BTS OnNut huge stocks. 10 people serving but you still have to queue 5 minutes sometimes it is that popular with retail customers like us and other small retailers/pharmacies stocking up. Never seen a fellow expat in there but they recognise the names of all the drugs I have asked for as long as I use the drug name, not the western brand name. Write it down too in case. They are not prone to the "mai mee"/can't be bothered to ask the boss syndrome.

Not just for local generics. Foreign brands and foreign generics also stocked. Eg Symbicort (anti inflammatory/bronchospasm) inhaler 1,250 baht for 120 doses cf 1,450 cheapest I've found elsewhere and 2,000 plus in hospitals.

The chains are a waste of space on range of stock as are most local Thai small pharmacies.