Sukhumbhand: You can't say Bangkok is flooded, it only has 'water to drain'

webfact

By Coconuts Bangkok

flood1_1.jpg
Residents of Ramintra suffered from waist-high flooding yesterday. Photo: Jakchai Banyensakul

BANGKOK: -- After the entire city was affected by the heavy rainfall that turned several roads into swimming pool for cars to break down yesterday morning, Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paripatra still doesn’t seem to think that Bangkok is flooded.

In a meeting to discuss flood prevention yesterday afternoon, Sukhumbhand said that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration apologized for the inconvenience caused by the water, but that we couldn't say Bangkok was flooded yet. It only had "water to drain" yesterday.

So what's his definition of flooding? Sukhumbhand referred to the 2011 floods, the year people surrounded their homes and local 7-Elevens with sandbags. That year, some were forced to leave their homes for weeks because of indoor flooding, Post Today reported.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/06/22/sukhumbhand-you-cant-say-bangkok-flooded-it-only-has-water-drain

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-06-22

"In a meeting to discuss flood prevention yesterday afternoon, Sukhumbhand said that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration apologized for the inconvenience caused by the water, but that we couldn't say Bangkok was flooded yet. It only had "water to drain" yesterday."

Seems like the good Governor has been to the Prayuth "How to look like a <deleted> in 3 easy lessons" workshop.

W

Oh for frog's sake... When you think you have heard it all, they just get stupider.

And this from the person ultimately responsible!

I don't know what annoys me more: that this imbecile actually thinks what he said is in any way reasonable, or that no one in the media or public will take him to task on this ludicrous assertion.

I'm Governor of Bangkok, I have a royal title, I am an important person so I can say anything i want and because of who I am it will be accepted without question.

I imagine the lady in the photo is so relieved her area wasn't flooded and that her city is under the stewardship of someone who is absolutely on the ball.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

What ever happened to that 300+ billion baht earmarked to mitigate the flooding? Rhetorical question of course. smile.png

Doesn't go far, fact finding trips to other countries, mostly in Europe or North America to see how they cope with flooding, return trips to confirm initial findings, new iPads to make notes on, laptops to write the reports on, big week long seminars in top hotels and conference centres to discuss these report, iPhones for essential liaison duties, SUVs ( you may have to go "off road" to investigate flood prone areas)...

The list goes on and on. It's a big operation you see, and big operations need a lot of resources you will understand. Lots of responsibility, so the relatives - sorry I meant staff - will need commensurate salaries. ThB 300 billion doesn't go very far you know!

Edited by JAG

OK, everyone has problems with unexpected floods, even that bastion of civilization, the UK. But like, every year a drought, then a flood. I think there might be a solution here - work with nature, not against it.

I read somewhere else that the mayor said that Bangkok was 'The city of rain'.

I've never heard anyone refer to Bangkok as the city of rain. But I guess he'd like that to catch on.

This man really does epitomize Thai nepotism and people not being qualified to be in their position. This guy is mayor of Bangkok and he's achieved nothing. He's only made other's lives worse through his sheer incompetence and corruption. Yet he keeps his job.

How does one describe Sukhumbhand's position on flooding in BKK?

It is ignorance (probably not), ineptitude (I don't think so), accountability (definitely not), achievement (nothing to see here), responsibility (what's that), arrogance (probably yes), corruptibility (anyone's guess)?

post-209291-0-15925500-1466582462_thumb.

One wonders whether he will seek re-election (given that even his own party want to cast him adrift).

that's why this man continues to get reelected: his unwavering positive outlook on everybody else's misery... in this case, his glass is half empty.

I thought, flooding was when the water comes in from rivers/lakes (over the banks) and 'flood' into the city proper.

What happened was that it simply rained and the rain did not disperse.

So technically it may be a valid point (no drainage, vs. flooded). And flooding would probably be worse (harder to prevent spill over from lakes/rivers/oceans then it is to add some more drain pipes).

That being said, the real issue still needs to be solved: To get the water out of the streets quickly :)

It's that Thai face issue again. Cannot be seen to be wrong, cannot say that the money spent on flood prevention was wasted, cannot appear to investors that Bangkok is a risky place to plant your cash.

The more of these outrageous comments I read, comments that are way over the line of ridiculous and so unbelievable the more I am convinced the Country needs to drop the "face" thing and deal with issues head, admit the problems and create real solutions to fix them.

But, I know I am whistling in the wind.