Can someone do me a favour? (I will pay)

RickG16

Nightmare scenario - ATM swallowed my card and now I have to wait up to 14 days for them to open it up.

So I need a way of obtaining cash from my account - is there anyone with PayPal that would mind if I transfered money into their PayPal account, and then to give me the money back in cash?

I realise this would have to be co-ordinated carefully (would probably be best if we met at internet cafe so they could see me transfer the money etc), be happy it was in their account, before giving me cash. And of course would be best to talk on the phone first.

I would be happy to pay 300 baht if someone could help me out. I am British guy, 32 living in Bangkok.

If you can help please PM, I will be eternally grateful.

Many thanks,

Rick

Don't count on getting your card back when they do open the ATM. Normally banks will not return a card issued by another bank swallowed by their ATM. They do not know whether or not the card was withheld because of a seize order from the issuing bank.

Why not do a Western Union transfer to yourself from your credit card (maybe even possible from your paypal account), then no 3rd party involved? Plenty of WU offices in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand where you can collect your cash.

https://www.westernunion.com/gb/en/home.html

I'm sure there are many other options, such as open local bank account (if not already open) and transfer funds from your UK bank. But it may be you only have funds available via your credit card.

Edited by dabhand

Don't count on getting your card back when they do open the ATM. Normally banks will not return a card issued by another bank swallowed by their ATM. They do not know whether or not the card was withheld because of a seize order from the issuing bank.

Thanks dude, but I was on the phone to the bank yesterday, now they have all my details they assured me they will not destroy it when it is retrieved, and I will be able to collect from bank with my passport.

Should be OK you think?

Why not do a Western Union transfer to yourself from your credit card (maybe even possible from your paypal account), then no 3rd party involved? Plenty of WU offices in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand where you can collect your cash.

https://www.westernunion.com/gb/en/home.html

I'm sure there are many other options, such as open local bank account (if not already open) and transfer funds from your UK bank. But it may be you only have funds available via your credit card.

Thanks - should be sorted now but this could be a back up plan.

I am on tourist visa so not sure I could open Thai account.

Cheers anyway

So why paypal? Wouldnt it be easier just to deposit into someone elses Thai account and get the cash that way?

Western union very expensive also..think about 18-20% comission?

Edit: after seeing last post

Edited by bamukloy

So why paypal? Wouldnt it be easier just to deposit into someone elses Thai account and get the cash that way?

WU cash transfers can be quite expensive, coming out at about 8% being a combination of charges and exchange differences. But, depending on the circumstances, that may well be considered a reasonable cost for convenience and instant access to cash.

Interestingly, the WU website also offers a bank to bank payment option. There is a 4day timelag but the cost. say on a transfer of £1,000, is only £2.90. The WU exchange rate quoted for just now is Bt51.869 /£1.00 which compares favourably with the current SCB TT rate of 51.686. The 4 day lag might be a showstopper for some but a potentially cheap option for transfers if not in a hurry and wanting to lock in a rate. There may well be receiving bank charges but likely to be limited to about Bt500, if at all.

OP just today registration on TV.

Where warranty after get money on pay pal account and give OP

Paypal not send massage about cancel transaction?charge-back with Pay Pal saying their account has been hacked

Look at google. Same story with some expat happened.

Paypal not send massage about cancel transaction?charge-back with Pay Pal saying their account has been hacked

This was my first thought, hence asking about why he wants to use paypal.

so he meets up and does the transaction,

money changes hands quickly,

the guy dissapears back to his hotel and gets the payment reversed

So will op come and depend himself or just another low lifes scammers ?

This was my first thought, hence asking about why he wants to use paypal.

so he meets up and does the transaction,

money changes hands quickly,

the guy dissapears back to his hotelarrow-10x10.png and gets the payment reversed

So will op come and depend himself or just another low lifes scammers ?

Jesus.. I am OP I just realised.

Well Im not a scammer... guess I'm relying on someone's good faith. But yes I've now seen the same stories, so if someone is unsure don't PM / speak to me obviously.

If you get stuck put Sterling from your UK bank account into mine.

I will then transfer from my Thai bank account to a Thai bank of your choosing (you must have friends with a Thai bank account).

Can all be done within 15 mins.

If you get stuck put Sterling from your UK bank account into mine.

I will then transfer from my Thai bank account to a Thai bank of your choosing (you must have friends with a Thai bank account).

Can all be done within 15 mins.

in prison in Hong Kong, I met a guy .. he helped get the money .. give his account number for transfer.

Money received as it turned from a hacked account.

just my 2 penny

Hope you know what you do.

Edited by ardokano

---------------------------------

My personal experience. This happened in Ho Chi Minh City in May 2016.

Vietnamese Bank ATM took my Bangkok Bank card in Ho Chi Minh City (used card before and it worked).

However this time card had been damaged and ATM rejected it and swallowed card.

Went to Vietnamese bank that owned the ATM and 24 hours later card was returned to me.

My passport was used as my I.D. and proof it was my ATM card.

As I said before my card was returned within 24 hours.

Different countries, different policies.

Western Union can be done several ways. You can use a credit card, or go online to western union and put in your bank account information, etc. As others have said the fees can add up, but you won't need any of your bank cards to do it. Unless your bank account has been frozen due to the ATM card issue, or some other snafu

Well I've had 3 card (all foreign) returned to me by the banks.

Just produced my passport for ID.

The OP wants to meet at an internet cafe? Of course he does, he wouldn't want the person who'd be doing him the favour to know where he lived would he?

Living in Bangkok and doesn't have a local bank account? Not very likely.

14 days to access an ATM? No way. All bank branches empty the ATMs of retained cards daily and the policy is not to return them as the retaining bank does not know the reason the card has been held. As a general policy why would they return cards anyway? It's less trouble these days for a local bank account holder to go to one of their own bank's branches and request a new card than it is to wait until after close of business when the ATM would be cleared. Possibly an exception would be made if the card was retained by the account holding branch's ATM.

He describes himself as 32 year old Briton. Why? What has this got to do with anything apart, maybe, from trying to establish what he considers to be some credibility to whatever it is he is really doing.

If the OP really was in a "nightmare scenario" his own bank would more than likely be able to get emergency funds to him if he had any kind of creditworthiness and if he isn't creditworthy enough for his own bank to help why would anyone else?

The whole OP smells very bad to me.

WU is actually very cheap to send money IF you send it to a bank account. It really depends on the country you are sending TO. Interestingly, there is no difference in fees if sending cash to Vietnam, but to Thailand it's much cheaper to send to a bank account, though this usually entails waiting 1-2 days.

In which case you need to have a local bank account (YES a tourist CAN open a Thai bank account but it's best to do this at the head office branch of a major bank such as Bangkok Bank). Smaller sub-branches may/may not do it so I wouldn't even bother. Go to the Bangkok Bank head office on Silom Road, nowhere else. They will certainly open an account for you, but bring your passport and make sure you have both a local and overseas address (don't know why they need the latter, but just give it to them anyway).

Sending cash by WU is expensive but in an emergency situation might be the best option.

WU cash transfers can be quite expensive, coming out at about 8% being a combination of charges and exchange differences. But, depending on the circumstances, that may well be considered a reasonable cost for convenience and instant access to cash.

Interestingly, the WU website also offers a bank to bank payment option. There is a 4day timelag but the cost. say on a transfer of £1,000, is only £2.90. The WU exchange rate quoted for just now is Bt51.869 /£1.00 which compares favourably with the current SCB TT rate of 51.686. The 4 day lag might be a showstopper for some but a potentially cheap option for transfers if not in a hurry and wanting to lock in a rate. There may well be receiving bank charges but likely to be limited to about Bt500, if at all.

Wish I had arranged a transfer yesterday. The Baht/£ rates today are a nightmare. blink.png

After a trip to a couple of branches and a few phone calls I persuaded them to open it up today and get my card,so all good. I think because the ATM is on a back street they don't need to refill it too often which is why they told me 14 days originally.

Thanks for all the replies... I realise I was quite naive not to think that this could look like a scam (maybe it still does 8-)) and that's probably why I didn't receive any PMs.. either way, no harm done.

Have a good weekend

Thanks dude, but I was on the phone to the bank yesterday, now they have all my details they assured me they will not destroy it when it is retrieved, and I will be able to collect from bank with my passport.

Should be OK you think?

They can get you a new one a lot quicker.

You pay with Paypal, other person gives you money, then you cancel paypal and the other person is fckd.