I am not Nixon. Nor am I a crook. O-A Visa Question.

OK.

You can send in what you have to NYC and it will probably be OK because as you said, they don't specify what D.C. does.

OR

You can email them explaining what you have and ask them if that's adequate. Saving you the small chance of a rejection if you send it without asking but also with the downside of calling attention to a "problem" they'd rather not consider.

If it was me, I'd just send what you have.

Here is the issue that isn't clear to everyone. I am also getting my 9-year-old Thai/American boy his Thai Passport. We need to go to the Embassy; they need to see that he exists.

I see. I think you mentioned before you could get the signature.

How about this.

Email them with the state form without signature and ask them if that's OK.

If not, get the signature.

You're not going to be need an FBI report so don't worry about that.

I have yet to have them answer an email or fax on this issue and a few others.

I have received 4, O-A's from the New York Consulate using the PA State form shown earlier and once just using a local police letter

Unfortunately you can only use the NY Consulate if you live within the geographical area it serves. Which currently are the states of Maine, Mass, NJ, NY, PA, Rhode Island, CT, Vermont, New Hampshire and Ohio

I cannot imagine the DC consulate refusing to help me, or my Khun Thai boy. He can go to any Embassy he chooses, but I doubt they would not help me and tell me to go to NY. While I enjoy visiting DC, I have a free place to stay in NYC so it will be NY this time.

I suggest you start a separate topic about your son's passport as otherwise this topic is going to get rather confusing.

I don't need to, it's not really relevant to the topic other than I have to show him physically to get a passport hence going to the NY Consulate rather than using mail. And mail would be out as they are claiming that mailing in the documents will take far longer than showing up at the Consulate with the same info.

No matter, I just sent another $13.00 and a request to the State of PA for a notarized signature so if I get it in time, I'll give them that. Matter closed.

I suggest you start a separate topic about your son's passport as otherwise this topic is going to get rather confusing.

I don't need to, it's not really relevant to the topic other than I have to show him physically to get a passport hence going to the NY Consulate rather than using mail. And mail would be out as they are claiming that mailing in the documents will take far longer than showing up at the Consulate with the same info.

No matter, I just sent another $13.00 and a request to the State of PA for a notarized signature so if I get it in time, I'll give them that. Matter closed.

You should apply for your child's passport before applying for your OA visa. It can several weeks to get the passport.

Everyday you don't use your OA visa is a day lost on the total stay you can get from it.

Did you find out information from the New York consulate website. Where did that information come from?

It taking weeks to get the passport is something I have known about for years. The application has to be sent to Bangkok for the passport to be produced then when done it is sent to the states.

I looked at the embassy NY and LA consulates websites and could not find any mention of how long it takes.

Here is what the London embassy website says.

"You are advised not to book your travels before receiving the passport. We cannot except any responsibility for cancellations.The current processing time for a Thai passport is between 6-8 weeks."

Source: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/78

Did you find out information from the New York consulate website. Where did that information come from?

It taking weeks to get the passport is something I have known about for years. The application has to be sent to Bangkok for the passport to be produced then when done it is sent to the states.

I looked at the embassy NY and LA consulates websites and could not find any mention of how long it takes.

Here is what the London embassy website says.

"You are advised not to book your travels before receiving the passport. We cannot except any responsibility for cancellations.The current processing time for a Thai passport is between 6-8 weeks."

Source: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/78

This throws everything into chaos. We are leaving the first week of Aug. From reading the NY and DC websites I had assumed a passport could be issued the next day as we had to show up to show them the boy. Now you're telling me I can't get it in time which means he will have to travel on his US passport.

I'm also not clear on this OA now, as from what I have read, getting the OA by going to the embassy is far faster than mail. I'm not sure what their mail response is, but it is cutting it close. I may have to request just an O visa and do the marriage with 400,000 baht in the bank deal when I get there.

I will start another thread.

Looks like there is time to do the O-A as they are claiming 10 business day turnaround. That's 2 weeks to me.

Apply by mail

You can submit a completed visa application form (must be signed by the applicant)
and required documents to : Royal Thai Consulate-General 351 East 52nd Street
New York, NY. 10022

•We require you to enclose a self-addressed envelope sized 6" x 9" or
large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps. Metered stamps will not be accepted. ( Recommend using USPS Express mail )

•The fee must be paid by money order only, payable to “Royal Thai Consulate-General New York". Personal or company checks are NOT acceptable.

•Processing time takes 10 business days, plus mailing time.

•Please note that the Royal Thai Consulate General is not responsible for any loss or damage to your passport and documents due to mishandling by mail services.

Looks like there is time to do the O-A as they are claiming 10 business day turnaround. That's 2 weeks to me.

Apply by mail

You can submit a completed visa application form (must be signed by the applicant)

New York, NY. 10022

large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps. Metered stamps will not be accepted. ( Recommend using USPS Express mail )

•The fee must be paid by money order only, payable to “Royal Thai Consulate-General New York". Personal or company checks are NOT acceptable.

•Please note that the Royal Thai Consulate General is not responsible for any loss or damage to your passport and documents due to mishandling by mail services.

While not having dealt with the Thai Consulate in your neck of the woods, I have found that after three consecutive non imm o-a multi entry visas through the LA Thai Consulate that they consistently beat their estimated time by a day or two.

Apply by mail

New York, NY. 10022

While not having dealt with the Thai Consulate in your neck of the woods, I have found that after three consecutive non imm o-a multi entry visas through the LA Thai Consulate that they consistently beat their estimated time by a day or two.

I also received very good service from the LA Consulate, when I lived in Arizona. They answer the phone, too. Kalorama is more formal, but competent enough...I think you might get asked for return tix for a TV in DC, while not in LA.