I am not Nixon. Nor am I a crook. O-A Visa Question.

1. Three copies of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued in the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence. Verifications must be less than 3 months old.

I went to my local township for this letter. I post a redacted copy here. Is this sufficient for the O-A application. The required documents are vague.

post-75020-0-73974200-1466706352_thumb.p

Well, I'm not sure, but if I was reviewing your application I would reject it. It's basically meaningless. No record of arrest in one town? Come on, now.

That is the town where I live. I wouldn't know where to get something Statewide or national.

This might be a good place to start:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/legal-matters/criminal-record-check.html

I think you need an FBI one as well.

Now how would you nor I know this for certain? I can get a State certification for 8 Dollars online, and that is immediate. This OA Visa thing is vague and onerous. I just did this one from the State. I would hope this enough.

post-75020-0-07877300-1466711220_thumb.j

Edited by stuck

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/legal-matters/criminal-record-check.html

Now how would you nor I know this for certain? I can get a State certification for 8 Dollars online, and that is immediate. This OA Visa thing is vague and onerous.

Since I have never done one for the US or Thailand I cannot be sure. I just figured a good place to start would be at the state department links since Embassies fall under that jurisdiction. A local one would seem to be useless since if I had a criminal record I could just find a jurisdiction I had relatives in and have it done in a place I never lived.... i.e. easily defeated. In Canada RCMP controls a national fingerprint database that connects with criminal records nationwide.

Your letter states that you have no arrest record in one specific township - I would think that would be completely useless since you could just as easily committed crimes in nearby townships or even federal offenses such as terrorism that would not be in the township record.

Now how would you nor I know this for certain? I can get a State certification for 8 Dollars online, and that is immediate. This OA Visa thing is vague and onerous.

Since I have never done one for the US or Thailand I cannot be sure. I just figured a good place to start would be at the state department links since Embassies fall under that jurisdiction. A local one would seem to be useless since if I had a criminal record I could just find a jurisdiction I had relatives in and have it done in a place I never lived.... i.e. easily defeated. In Canada RCMP controls a national fingerprint database that connects with criminal records nationwide.

Your letter states that you have no arrest record in one specific township - I would think that would be completely useless since you could just as easily committed crimes in nearby townships or even federal offenses such as terrorism that would not be in the township record.

And look what the link points to.

Criminal Record Checks

U.S. citizens may be asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record” for a variety of reasons for use abroad including adoption, school attendance, employment, etc. U.S. law enforcement authorities may not be familiar with such a procedure since it is not commonly requested in the United States. There are a variety of options available to U.S. citizens seeking to obtain proof of their lack of a criminal record.

LOCAL POLICE CHECK: Go to your local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States, request that the police conduct a local or state criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record. Local police departments may require your personal appearance in order to conduct the search. You should determine whether the country you intend to use the records check requires that it be authenticated. For information on that process please see our authentications page.

It also references FBI

Your local letter is useless:

7. Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

Try it, I mean this seriously. If you have any legal problems at the federal level they will revoke your passport anyway. There is nothing to lose by applying, if that police check isn't adequate they will say it. They should then inform you of what you need.

7. Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

It would appear that my State verification would but without a signature no good. Now I need to find out how to get a signature.

Try it, I mean this seriously. If you have any legal problems at the federal level they will revoke your passport anyway. There is nothing to lose by applying, if that police check isn't adequate they will say it. They should then inform you of what you need.

The criminal records check is for criminal convictions (your entire life). If you have served time you can still hold a passport. The only time a passport is revoked is for:

- If you have an outstanding arrest warrant for a felony

- A court order preventing you from leaving the U.S.

Thai immigration already has access to Interpol which is used to search for outstanding arrest warrants that have been submitted for reasons that you are an international fugitive. The criminal records check is to make sure you do not have serious arrests in your passport that may indicate you are a person of poor character and thus not wanted in Thailand.

You took this from the Thai Embassy in Washington. I got my info from NY. They are different. Washington does not ask for a Bank Verification Letter but NY does. Both want a bank statement. Washington elaborates on the criminal background check where NY does not offer any help whatsoever.

They are different.

Disgraceful to say the least.

The criminal records check is for criminal convictions (your entire life). If you have served time you can still hold a passport. The only time a passport is revoked is for:

- If you have an outstanding arrest warrant for a felony

- A court order preventing you from leaving the U.S.

Thai immigration already has access to Interpol which is used to search for outstanding arrest warrants that have been submitted for reasons that you are an international fugitive. The criminal records check is to make sure you do not have serious arrests in your passport that may indicate you are a person of poor character and thus not wanted in Thailand.

With that all said, I could still show up and get a 30 day stamp whether I'm a person of poor character or not. These hoops really make no sense. I could get an O visa, show up and do a retirement or marriage extension and still be of poor character. Again, it makes little sense.

I just checked with the FBI. They are 12 to 14 weeks wait for the documents to be sent. So FBI out. I can get a signed copy from the State Police quicker than that.

When I was preparing for my work permit and visa after attending a language school, I got a similar short letter from the Palm Beach Florida offices but it referenced all of Palm Beach County and not just North Palm Beach city where I lived at the time. I was told by the school that would be OK. I don't believe there is anyway to get a similar letter from a National USA level office such as the FBI. But, I suspect one could go to any of the work place clearance check firms that have access to national crime databases or at least are allowed to send clearance check clearances in. That is about as good as one can get at the national level ( I think).

When I was preparing for my work permit and visa after attending a language school, I got a similar short letter from the Palm Beach Florida offices but it referenced all of Palm Beach County and not just North Palm Beach city where I lived at the time. I was told by the school that would be OK. I don't believe there is anyway to get a similar letter from a National USA level office such as the FBI. But, I suspect one could go to any of the work place clearance check firms that have access to national crime databases or at least are allowed to send clearance check clearances in. That is about as good as one can get at the national level ( I think).

The FBI does do this but they are backlogged 14 weeks. I can get one from PA in two weeks and it will be notarized.

A FBI background check is not required. What you have is enough.

Which one? The State one I did online plus the local cops? The Washington website states that an unsigned state search is unacceptable. It does seem ridiculous.

Are you saying I can ignore this? I have to travel to either NY or DC to get my visa and my son's Thai Passport. I can't afford to waste a trip. I've tried calling the embassy and they never pick up the phone. I can't get clarification from either of them.

The state one should be accepted since it is signed. It would not hurt to attach both to your application.

You do realize that this is an online response and is not hand signed. Is this still ok? I will use both, but if I mail in the request they will send me back a signed copy and I can get that signature notarized as well because it will be a true ink signature.

Mine was flimsier than that, and it worked at Kalorama...she did note that the Officer had printed her signature...I said, please, call them, if you like, their number is on the form. It was for a City of 20,000 so it just wasn't that formal.

Was the wording the same, referring to a lack of arrests ONLY in that city?

On that note, I'd like to ask a question that probably some U.S. people in law enforcement or lawyers would know.

If a person is stopped for a traffic violation and they ask for the driver's license and then run that through their database, can't they see a list of any prior criminal offenses, nationally, right there and then? If so, why couldn't any local town provide such a record, or a record of nothing, if asked?

Edited by Jingthing

Which one? The State one I did online plus the local cops? The Washington website states that an unsigned state search is unacceptable. It does seem ridiculous.

Are you saying I can ignore this? I have to travel to either NY or DC to get my visa and my son's Thai Passport. I can't afford to waste a trip. I've tried calling the embassy and they never pick up the phone. I can't get clarification from either of them.

The Embassy in Washington DC is the only place where this criminal records check issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only requirement is being enforced. It is not a requirement at LA, Chicago, or New York . The MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) has not issued this order but was implemented by a clerk in Washington. Much like Immigration here in Thailand, Consular sections at Embassies and Consulates are laws unto themselves and once they decide on a practice it is not likely going to change.

For instance, LA and Chicago are the only two places where the bank statement, criminal records check, and medical certificate must be notarized. No such requirement for the Embassy in DC or the Consulate in New York

The Embassy in Washington DC is the only place where this criminal records check issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only requirement is being enforced. It is not a requirement at LA, Chicago, or New York . The MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) has not issued this order but was implemented by a clerk in Washington. Much like Immigration here in Thailand, Consular sections at Embassies and Consulates are laws unto themselves and once they decide on a practice it is not likely going to change.

For instance, LA and Chicago are the only two places where the bank statement, criminal records check, and medical certificate must be notarized. No such requirement for the Embassy in DC or the Consulate in New York

The FBI background check is 15 weeks wait. OUT. You're saying that New York would accept the two that I have? It's not hand signed other than the local police statement. It was less expensive for us to go to NYC rather than DC. So just to be clear, NYC doesn't require what DC is requiring. They still want to see something, but their requirements were vague at best.

OK.

You can send in what you have to NYC and it will probably be OK because as you said, they don't specify what D.C. does.

OR

You can email them explaining what you have and ask them if that's adequate. Saving you the small chance of a rejection if you send it without asking but also with the downside of calling attention to a "problem" they'd rather not consider.

If it was me, I'd just send what you have.

Edited by Jingthing

OK.

You can send in what you have to NYC and it will probably be OK because as you said, they don't specify what D.C. does.

OR

You can email them explaining what you have and ask them if that's adequate. Saving you the small chance of a rejection if you send it without asking but also with the downside of calling attention to a "problem" they'd rather not consider.

Here is the issue that isn't clear to everyone. I am also getting my 9-year-old Thai/American boy his Thai Passport. We need to go to the Embassy; they need to see that he exists.

OK.

OR

Here is the issue that isn't clear to everyone. I am also getting my 9-year-old Thai/American boy his Thai Passport. We need to go to the Embassy; they need to see that he exists.

I see. I think you mentioned before you could get the signature.

How about this.

Email them with the state form without signature and ask them if that's OK.

If not, get the signature.

You're not going to be need an FBI report so don't worry about that.

I have received 4, O-A's from the New York Consulate using the PA State form shown earlier and once just using a local police letter

Unfortunately you can only use the NY Consulate if you live within the geographical area it serves. Which currently are the states of Maine, Mass, NJ, NY, PA, Rhode Island, CT, Vermont, New Hampshire and Ohio

• Like 1