Case closed with no charges over fire that killed 17 children in northern Thailand

webfact

Usually, they find some lowly person to hang the blame on him, but this time, not even that,

the authorities has ruled it to be an accident, and that's is that, 17 live wasted for nothing.. what recourse have the families now to ask for compensations?......

Yes,...I guess there were no Burmese or Cambodians working there ! so they have no foreigners to blame ?! And Thais can not be blamed for anything wrong in this country !?!?

RIP young girls.....

Best regards.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the fire itself started accidentally, the tragedy is that 17 children have died leaving behind thousands bereaved family, friends and a Nation just "looking on" and without reassurance that more won't die in the future from lessons not learned and, seemingly not wanting to be learned.

This story is likely far from over. There may be some backlash on the decision by the international community. I read this article just a few days ago which may fall on deaf ears but I hope not.

http://iva.aippnet.org/thailand-the-death-of-17-indigenous-students-reflects-the-poor-government-policies-on-education/

I'd like to think otherwise, but this is already dead as mutton. These people, having slammed the box shut, will send several very large people to sit on the lid.

It isn't going to change, the fix is in, money has changed hands. If there were a star chamber there would be recourse, but there isn't so there isn't.

...disgraceful.....

...justice...what justice....

...and have to wonder how the nationalities of the victims factor into this ludicrous verdict....

Indeed, the Thai law system is broken, tear it down and send all the judges to prison for taking the piss. Then confiscate their assets and pensions.

W

I read that most, if not all the kids, were Akha. Amongst all the hilltribe groups the Akha are ranked the lowest by both Thai authorities as well as other hilltribe groups. But they are ranked high on the list of potential coverts by many Christian evangelical groups, some of which have members of rather low values. This was a Christian run school which means that there is some group out there, funded from abroad, that is responsible but that is using its funding to buy immunity. The group that runs that school might also be obtaining some protection from the larger church community in Chiang Mai, that wields significant influence up north, in order to save face for the larger Christian community that works up in the hills where they have had some success. So blame for this outcome rests as much with a subset of the ex-pat community as it does with the Thais. The Church needs to step up to the plate here and not hide behind their gated walls. But since it was Akha involved, and not Karen or Lahu, I doubt that will happen.

Edited by Johpa

...disgraceful.....

...and have to wonder how the nationalities of the victims factor into this ludicrous verdict....

Indeed, the Thai law system is broken, tear it down and send all the judges to prison for taking the piss. Then confiscate their assets and pensions.

W

I agree and in a civilized country that might happen. This is Thailand and the "system" is working as intended. Honestly I feel like Thailand isn't really a country but a number of headstrong greedy families running around pillaging at will - and any way possible.

...disgraceful.....

W

I agree and in a civilized country that might happen. This is Thailand and the "system" is working as intended. Honestly I feel like Thailand isn't really a country but a number of headstrong greedy families running around pillaging at will - and any way possible.

You're right about the pillage by a few - the landed barons with allegiance to.

You're right about 'working as intended' as well. God knows how Thais have put up with this shi|te for so long. No, scratch that, it's already clear why, bless 'em.

W

Edited by Winniedapu