EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK votes to leave

webfact

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I offer my own 2 translations of politician news-speak:

We must act on the will of people = No f..... way we are doing this.

EU insists Britain must invoke Article 50 swiftly = Quick get on the phone to No.10. Do whatever it takes to stop them leaving.

Contrary to some people's beliefs on this thread - and surprise surprise they are Brexiteers...the referendum isn't binding and an awful lot hangs on "article 50".coupled with the Scottish defiance of the result (as said it can't really be democratic for one country to drag 3 others out with it) - it looks like being a long struggle.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

I just love all the humour on this serious matter.

"That feeling when your boyfriend dumps you but thinks he can keep living in the flat for 6 months."

Contrary to some people's beliefs on this thread - and surprise surprise they are Brexiteers...the referendum isn't binding and an awful lot hangs on "article 50".coupled with the Scottish defiance of the result (as said it can't really be democratic for one country to drag 3 others out with it) - it looks like being a long struggle.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

I said all along a very unsafe result. Two countries do not want it.

"That feeling when your boyfriend dumps you but thinks he can keep living in the flat for 6 months."

"leaving the EU is like telling your parents your leaving home and then moving into the garage" - J Vegas

Hey welcome to the real world ! As a Norwegian I welcome you to think outside of the big EU bubble. Even if we are not a member state of the EU , we do belong to EEA (European Economic Area) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

As a Norwegian I can still apply for work in any EU country, i have almost the same rights as any EU citizen . So whats the difference? We can't vote for changes inside the EU , but I couldn't care less.

This is not the end of the world you know.

But you have ceded power to Brussels in order to secure these agreements. is that right? They make decisions about Norway which you have no say about. If Uk has to do this then there is no point leaving as it is pointless, worse in fact.

Also UK would not be able to negotiate a deal like this for any number of years. The damage would be done by then to all parties. Why would the EU want to help us. I sure as hell wouldn't in their shoes.

They make decisions in EU yes . But the Norwegian government still have to vote and agree on whatever new law and regulation Brussels will demand , and if they do not agree Norway can make their own laws if necessary.

And Britain don't have to wait years for EFTA , it must be the first deal they agree on to avoid problems with trading.

Just look at EU as another business partner , like the US or Canada, or Australia. We negotiate and agree , not very difficult really.

Hey welcome to the real world ! As a Norwegian I welcome you to think outside of the big EU bubble. Even if we are not a member state of the EU , we do belong to EEA (European Economic Area) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

As a Norwegian I can still apply for work in any EU country, i have almost the same rights as any EU citizen . So whats the difference? We can't vote for changes inside the EU , but I couldn't care less.

This is not the end of the world you know.

But you have ceded power to Brussels in order to secure these agreements. is that right? They make decisions about Norway which you have no say about. If Uk has to do this then there is no point leaving as it is pointless, worse in fact.

Also UK would not be able to negotiate a deal like this for any number of years. The damage would be done by then to all parties. Why would the EU want to help us. I sure as hell wouldn't in their shoes.

They make decisions in EU yes . But the Norwegian government still have to vote and agree on whatever new law and regulation Brussels will demand , and if they do not agree Norway can make their own laws if necessary.

And Britain don't have to wait years for EFTA , it must be the first deal they agree on to avoid problems with trading.

Just look at EU as another business partner , like the US or Canada, or Australia. We negotiate and agree , not very difficult really.

Good, helpful post. A rarity.

Being a locksmith I have come across this argument many times, surprising how both parties have forgotten what the other party contributed.

Being a locksmith I have come across this argument many times, surprising how both parties have forgotten what the other party contributed.

And that is the lesson to be learned. Both sides can be nasty as hell, but they also loved each other's company and comfort when together.

Once one party announces it wants a divorce, both sides are stunned. Both sides are angry and if required, shows what they could do to destroy the life long companion, if it comes to that.

Without a doubt there is a lot of love between the divorcing couple. The parts which will be missed, but as well the parts which were the reason for breakup.

After the initial shock, well do just fine together.

(Now we need to have a bit of silly time, as this who thing is such an big mess that it's best handled with a bit of humour).

I might be nitpicking but it is still one country, the UK is the recognised country. I'm Welsh and it's a modern invention and us 'Welsh' were amongst the first people to inhabit these isles but it was never Wales and currently Wales is a principality. Our Surrender terms to the Normans (not English) asked for a Welsh prince and us thinking that Caradoc would be the prince but they selected a Norman prince and eventually the Normans became the English. The dna of the UK is that there is almost no Anglo left and the English are mostly Saxon ( east German) but surprisingly there is still 'Welsh' dna on the east coast of England. I'm still pro Europe and believe that within 2 yrs we will be part of Europe again but not the EU which I think is going to disintegrate before the end of the year especially if they make us leave immediately as some EU politicians want and we take our money with us.

I personally think that the brexit vote is going to make Britain & Europe stronger in the long term, we just have to weather the short term. For you history buffs, Britain was asked to be the leader of the common market before it was formed as they looked to the UK for stability but we said no because of our commitments to the commonwealth countries.

I want to retract my earlier statement that the UK financial sector will be decimated. As someone rightly pointed out it will be impacted only, possibly not at all.

But equally, I do think the Brexiters are somewhat underestimating the strife ahead:

Here's a very informative article for my fellow knee-jerkers to consider:). I liked it because it puts the fearful to rest, but also should serve as a wake up call for rather complacent Brexiters.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36628595

sorry but all the BBC has done since the vote is tell the population of the UK (who pay a tv licence for them to exist) is how stupid they are so I won't listen to anything they say now.

There is a new term being coined,it's called Bregret,read about it.

Is this another attempt to suggest that those who are signing the petition for another referendum are brexit voters, rather than the obvious - they are remain voters?
yes, many who voted out have started to see the lies unravel already and are shocked by the markets reaction. The UK has already been down graded to negative and most analysts see a recession next year this is in direct opposition to 'everything will be hunky dory' from the Brexit leaders,this combined with the fact that immigration wont be able to be curtailed in the way promised. Eric Nielson of Uni credit Global gives The UK a C and the EU a B on an ABC financial rating and see's a recession looming for the UK.
At least you're honest, although I find it beyond unbelievable to think that this petition is due to brexit voters that now regret their choice - rather than remainers who are desperate for another referendum laugh.png !

it's been found that most of the votes are from outside of the UK.

I want to retract my earlier statement that the UK financial sector will be decimated. As someone rightly pointed out it will be impacted only, possibly not at all.

But equally, I do think the Brexiters are somewhat underestimating the strife ahead:

Here's a very informative article for my fellow knee-jerkers to consider:). I liked it because it puts the fearful to rest, but also should serve as a wake up call for rather complacent Brexiters.

sorry but all the BBC has done since the vote is tell the population of the UK (who pay a tv licence for them to exist) is how stupid they are so I won't listen to anything they say now.

It's just a short piece on the likely financial implications. It's actually quite reassuring.

It's just a short piece on the likely financial implications. It's actually quite reassuring.

It's okay, doesn't matter. We're still World leaders in Cornish Pasty production. More than off set the losses.

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets,

Says who?

I'm thinking people tend to vote for a winner.

Have another vote and more likely the leavers will win by 10 or 20%.

(Not to mention all the people who believe in democracy, and aren't bothered by the EU will probably join the OUT vote)

And of course, every politician who supports a second vote will become un-electable.

(Personally, I think they should be tried for treason and hung)

After less than a weekend, the remainers have gone from 'we can't lose' to 'we can't lose again'

There is a new term being coined,it's called Bregret,read about it.

There's an old term that was coined a long time ago, 'sore losers'. Read about it right here.

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets,

Says who?

I'm thinking people tend to vote for a winner.

Have another vote and more likely the leavers will win by 10 or 20%.

(Not to mention all the people who believe in democracy, and aren't bothered by the EU will probably join the OUT vote)

And of course, every politician who supports a second vote will become un-electable.

(Personally, I think they should be tried for treason and hung)

After less than a weekend, the remainers have gone from 'we can't lose' to 'we can't lose again'

luv u, that is brilliant.

It's okay, doesn't matter. We're still World leaders in Cornish Pasty production. More than off set the losses.

Now that we're no longer a member of the EU Cornish Pasties no longer have Protected Geographical Indication. That Cornish Pasty you're eating could well have been made in Hartlepool from the scrapings of the local abattoir.

awayego, on 25 Jun 2016 - 20:38, said:

This observation, just received from my brother, a journalist of forty years standing, speaks volumes for me:

"A Polish EU diplomat interviewed on C4 News last night expressed Polands huge concern and disappointment. The interview over, he took a couple paces away then returned to catch the departing Matt Freis arm and tell him quietly but firmly: Do not expect Polish soldiers and airmen to come and defend your country as they did before. Never again. It doesnt matter that as it happens Matt Frei is of German parentage, he was being spoken to as a British television journalist. And a good one. The moment struck a deep chord with me as I know it will with you."

The EU was always about much, much more than bureaucracy, red tape, economic stresses, immigration, whatever.

For all its faults, there was, and still may be, a vision far greater than short-term. transitory problems that come and eventually are resolved.

Now let the xenophobes come forth and speak!

Do you, moron have a clue what the 2nd world war was about?. When Poland was invaded by Germany both Britain & France declared war on Germany and stuck by our allied agreement. British people gave their lives to try to free Poland and at the end of w2 we didn't have the power to protect them from Russia. Polish pilots were amongst the best in the RAF, stupidly took off in fog at times when they heard German engines. For me you have posted one of the most moronic posts so far.

I love Germany, I used to work for a German company and it's one of my favourite countries in the world. You are just a troll and baiting.

Clq7LmNWkAQ5GA1.jpg

As many people said before: It´s the young generation that lost / will lose out ... I feel sorry for that generation ...

65yo+ knew rationing
75yo+ knew the Luftwaffe
90yo+ knew Panzers
Young people don't know a damn thing - yet.
Cheers.
Edited by NeverSure

Sore losers, etc.......

It's not so much win or lose, right or wrong:

The cake has come out the oven, and no one wants to eat the flaming thing. I guess like all bad cakes, it'll get put to the side, and someone will sling it in the bin when its cooled down. smile.png

PS (edit): Not even the cook wants a slice!!blink.png

Edited by mommysboy

Clq7LmNWkAQ5GA1.jpg

As many people said before: It´s the young generation that lost / will lose out ... I feel sorry for that generation ...

65yo+ knew rationing
75yo+ knew the Luftwaffe
90yo+ knew Panzers
Cheers.

65 year olds were 3 years old when rationing ended in the UK

^^Today, here in Devon, I had one of the finest Cornish pasties ever made. Not sure why you need to know this, but now you do!

but was it a proper Cornish pastie like the miners took underground with half of it filled with jam?.

p.s. used to look across the Severn estuary on clear days to Devon .......

Edited by sandrabbit

^^Today, here in Devon, I had one of the finest Cornish pasties ever made. Not sure why you need to know this, but now you do!

but was it a proper Cornish pastie like the miners took underground with half of it filled with jam?.

I've never found one to be honest and believe me, I've tried!

Shall search harder.

Clq7LmNWkAQ5GA1.jpg

65yo+ knew rationing
75yo+ knew the Luftwaffe
90yo+ knew Panzers
Cheers.

65 year olds were 3 years old when rationing ended in the UK

Sorry you're a slow learner. The point is that young people have never been made to suffer. If you went through rationing a 3 you'd remember it if only because people wouldn't stop reminding you of it for years.

Experience comes with age. Young people are badly spoiled and worse, think things will always stay the same. They never do.

Cheers.

Cornish pasties with jam!

I thought they were filled with mince lamb, and veg.

You mean I've missed out on something delicious!sad.png

Cornish pasties with jam!

I thought they were filled with mince lamb, and veg.

You mean I've missed out on something delicious!sad.png

Real pasties. One half is meat, potato, carrot and swede. Other half apple pie sort of thing. It's like a main followed by a pud. Never experienced one sadly.