EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK votes to leave

webfact

Some stats:

Age breakdown, elderly voted leave, young voted remain, ie ... those that tend to have old fashioned views.

Out of 30 regions that voted leave, 28 of those had the fewest graduates , ie...the less well educated.

A vote is a vote, young or old, with or without a degree, but these stats tell you something don't they.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some stats:

Age breakdown, elderly voted leave, young voted remain, ie ... those that tend to have old fashioned views.

Out of 30 regions that voted leave, 28 of those had the fewest graduates , ie...the less well educated.

A vote is a vote, young or old, with or without a degree, but these stats tell you something don't they.

I didn't bother to vote. I have a degree.

If they go for a rerun, I will vote, and I will vote to leave.

EU To Launch Kettle And Toaster Crackdown After Brexit Vote

The EU is poised to ban high-powered appliances such as kettles, toasters, hair-dryers within months of Britain’s referendum vote, despite senior officials admitting the plan has brought them “ridicule”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/10/eu-to-launch-kettle-and-toaster-crackdown-after-brexit-vote2/

High powered appliences???

Something tells us that if they knew aforehand that the EU was going to take Brits tea kettle, the vote would have been a landslide to leave! laugh.png

Good comment in the Indy . . .

There is and will be nothing to stop you travelling in the EU. The EU will offer visa free travel as it does to most countries. British tourists spend more money in the EU than any other nationality and some Southern economies would be devastated without it.

Few of Britain's students studying abroad for full degrees are in the EU. Most are in the other English speaking countries. EU universities will still offer language and other courses to British students and we will do the same to them. These reciprocal arrangements were in place post War to boost language skills, they predate the EU. My dad went from a council flat in Scotland to the Sorbonne in 1951. This idea that exchange degrees will end is made up. No one is proposing this.

The majority of young British people who live and work abroad do so in Australia, Canada and USA. Many also work in India and China and around the planet. There are more British in Australia than all 27 countries of the EU added together. Let's face it, how many people want to work for Slovenian or Romanian pay compared to American?

Most British young people do not actually have the language skills to work in the EU. How is your Danish, Swedish, Dutch or Flemish? The pay is too low in all of the southern and eastern states which is why they are here and we are not there.

But if people do want to work abroad they will apply for and get jobs and visas just as they do for Australia etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-boris-johnson-prime-minister-britain-out-of-europe-referendum-latest-a7101806.html

How very true, a lot of Brits in Thailand and the rest of Southeast Asia. We holiday and retire in Europe, but not work there.

I used to from 1999 until 2001 in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany using English as my main language whilst learning German. Then I came back to work in Thailand, again using English.

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets,

Says who?

I'm thinking people tend to vote for a winner.

Have another vote and more likely the leavers will win by 10 or 20%.

(Not to mention all the people who believe in democracy, and aren't bothered by the EU will probably join the OUT vote)

And of course, every politician who supports a second vote will become un-electable.

(Personally, I think they should be tried for treason and hung)

After less than a weekend, the remainers have gone from 'we can't lose' to 'we can't lose again'

There is a new term being coined,it's called Bregret,read about it.

There are several natural reasons for this. Firstly, it is the lower economic classes who most visibly suffer the competition from European immigrants. As an engineer, I'd have been more likely to have moved to Germany for career-enhancing work, as several of my colleagues have. Thirdly, harking back to solidarity, when one is young one tends to love the human race. As one grows older, one tends to find that one is not so enamoured of individual humans. Also, cynicism tends to increase with age; not everyone develops it at a young age.

I believe there's also a demographic gradient in patriotism (or nationalism), and voting leave feels like a patriotic act of throwing off foreign rule. At a crude level - are you British, or are you European?

The lower classes / unskilled labour is the easiest to replace in many cases. If you cannot find a burger flipper at a reasonable price, there is a machine that does a better job and does everyones job in the kitchen - just have to have someone fill it supplies.

I believe that many of the University graduates are already working in Mcdonalds.

Says who?

(Not to mention all the people who believe in democracy, and aren't bothered by the EU will probably join the OUT vote)

And of course, every politician who supports a second vote will become un-electable.

After less than a weekend, the remainers have gone from 'we can't lose' to 'we can't lose again'

Is this another attempt to suggest that those who are signing the petition for another referendum are brexit voters, rather than the obvious - they are remain voters?

well, I can see a difference: it seems to be better part of a community of 500 million people and take part in decisions than ruled by a bunch of incompetent so called polititians at Westminster

And you think Brussels is any different.....? facepalm.gif

Yep, 500 million, the UK obviously voted to stop them moving into the UK..

Just wait till Turkey is taken into the EU fold....whistling.gif

The EU has lost a Lion,but will shortly gain a Turkey.

Says who?

Is this another attempt to suggest that those who are signing the petition for another referendum are brexit voters, rather than the obvious - they are remain voters?

yes, many who voted out have started to see the lies unravel already and are shocked by the markets reaction. The UK has already been down graded to negative and most analysts see a recession next year this is in direct opposition to 'everything will be hunky dory' from the Brexit leaders,this combined with the fact that immigration wont be able to be curtailed in the way promised. Eric Nielson of Uni credit Global gives The UK a C and the EU a B on an ABC financial rating and see's a recession looming for the UK. Incidently the EU now seems impatient for the UK to invoke article 50, Reuters has a headline,'No need to write David'

Edited by soalbundy

cheesy.gif two and a half million muppets now want to reverse their vote, a protest vote gone wrong, many didn't think (i could leave that as a statement but i will continue) that we would really exit they were just protesting against the elite. I just hope parliament now takes the referendum merely as a non binding recommendation and doesn't invoke article 50 otherwise we will not only lose the EU we will lose Scotland as well, what a cock up !!! well done Dave.

You're implying that it is those that voted brexit who are now asking for another referendum?

Surely its FAR more likely to be those that lost the vote, rather than those who won?!

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets, i think if a new referendum was held it would be remain that would win. A 50-50 decision in my opinion is not binding and that is basically what it was. Parliament has the last decision and they should have the balls not to invoke article 50. If two thirds had said out i would call that binding as sad as i would be about it. We could now lose Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland as well as the EU. Already warnings are being made to the Tory party not to reverse the workers rights that were given to them by the EU and Ukip has admitted that immigration by and large wont be stopped as imagined, the 'outs' have been sold a pigs ear and they are beginning to realize it. Rubber lips Boris for PM another horror scenario. That's what happens when beer sex and football are ones main interest in life.

Actually it was a 51.8 v 48.2 % decision and that is over a 50% majority.

How about a 70/30, 80/20 or even a 90/10 majority? Would that have made you happy.

The remain side lost so please try to get over it and learn to live with reality.

well, I can see a difference: it seems to be better part of a community of 500 million people and take part in decisions than ruled by a bunch of incompetent so called polititians at Westminster

Turkey being an EU member is not a far fetched prognosis. Brussels might sign a letter of acceptance as early as February 31st next year.

yes, many who voted out have started to see the lies unravel already and are shocked by the markets reaction. The UK has already been down graded to negative and most analysts see a recession next year this is in direct opposition to 'everything will be hunky dory' from the Brexit leaders,this combined with the fact that immigration wont be able to be curtailed in the way promised. Eric Nielson of Uni credit Global gives The UK a C and the EU a B on an ABC financial rating and see's a recession looming for the UK.

At least you're honest, although I find it beyond unbelievable to think that this petition is due to brexit voters that now regret their choice - rather than remainers who are desperate for another referendum laugh.png !

Edited by dick dasterdly

Nobody believes Turkey will gain membership, just another Brexit lie,the lion is looking a little mangy at the moment.

Nobody believes Turkey will gain membership, just another Brexit lie,the lion is looking a little mangy at the moment.

You know all about lies. May I remind you of your post stating that the two and a half million that signed the petition are brexit voters that regret their choice?

cheesy.gif two and a half million muppets now want to reverse their vote, a protest vote gone wrong, many didn't think (i could leave that as a statement but i will continue) that we would really exit they were just protesting against the elite. I just hope parliament now takes the referendum merely as a non binding recommendation and doesn't invoke article 50 otherwise we will not only lose the EU we will lose Scotland as well, what a cock up !!! well done Dave.

You're implying that it is those that voted brexit who are now asking for another referendum?

Surely its FAR more likely to be those that lost the vote, rather than those who won?!

you could be right of course but many now who voted leave are having regrets, i think if a new referendum was held it would be remain that would win. A 50-50 decision in my opinion is not binding and that is basically what it was. Parliament has the last decision and they should have the balls not to invoke article 50. If two thirds had said out i would call that binding as sad as i would be about it. We could now lose Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland as well as the EU. Already warnings are being made to the Tory party not to reverse the workers rights that were given to them by the EU and Ukip has admitted that immigration by and large wont be stopped as imagined, the 'outs' have been sold a pigs ear and they are beginning to realize it. Rubber lips Boris for PM another horror scenario. That's what happens when beer sex and football are ones main interest in life.

How about a 70/30, 80/20 or even a 90/10 majority? Would that have made you happy.

The remain side lost so please try to get over it and learn to live with reality.

That small majority just isn't big enough, close enough to 50% are being ignored, such an important decision requires a two thirds majority in my opinion. This referendum was run on emotions not on facts and logic, beer table thumping comes to mind.

You know all about lies. May I remind you of your post stating that the two and a half million that signed the petition are brexit voters that regret their choice?

this could become like a Monty Python sketch where after the next referendum will be another set of people who regret that they regretted their choice and there will have to be a third referendumgiggle.gif

NIgel Farage disagrees with you:

ICYMI – last month he [Farage] announced that he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow

margin.

Calling a small defeat for his leave camp ‘unfinished business’, he predicted a second referendum on Europe.

Back then, he told the Mirror: ‘In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-

third that ends it.’

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/remember-that-time-nigel-farage-said-52-48-votes-should-lead-to-second-referendum-5963900/#ixzz4Cf6LhU7P

Cameron himself said there would be no second vote. Regardless of what is said now the rules were the one who got more than 50% won. On a personal piece of opinion I think in such an important vote it should have been 60%. But then that would leave over 50% unhappy would it not.

Our Democracies are based on 50%+ takes the goal. Ceste la Viv. Like it or not that was the rule.

Same as Farage had he lost that was it. Now the work must be done to build a life for Britain outside of Brussels control.

Interesting times. Maybe the UK will be the flagship for the 3rd way and Once again lead the world.

Let us reflect again in 20 years

It seems that EU 'lost' England and Whales.

This might actually be a good thing for EU as the decision making process is likely to be easier in the future.

While some companies, who have located in England to have an access to EU markets, move to other EU states, it will have a positive impact for us.

England&Whales (is there a name for that combination?) will want to participate with the EU economic zone and will have to pay for that. The larger entity tends to get the best deals, which has been the idea of the EU zone.

Turkey will not become an EU member. Not before it can comply with all the rules EU places. They are not able to do that in decades. When they do, Turkey will be a different country, much more like other EU countries are. Even then, EU can say no for Turkey's membership.

Edited by Guest

There is no problem if a country wants to leave the EU.
The right way would be here in the context of national elections.
Where parties with their election programs, clearly formulate the future of their intentions.
In coalitions then majorities can be formed.

The present situation is the running around as headless chickens. No one has a concrete exit plan.
The left traditional workers and the right national forces which articulated their displeasure with the EU.
But how do they want to collaborate in the future?
Brexit alone is not a complete party program.
Family policy, economic policy, immigration policy, tax policy, investment policy, security policy, social policy, etc. is still unclear!

The crack is currently between all parties, between young and old, between education layers, between urban and rural residents.

The only unifying factor is the rejection of the current migration policy a la Merkel.

Edited by tomacht8

Cameron himself said there would be no second vote. Regardless of what is said now the rules were the one who got more than 50% won. On a personal piece of opinion I think in such an important vote it should have been 60%. But then that would leave over 50% unhappy would it not.

Our Democracies are based on 50%+ takes the goal. Ceste la Viv. Like it or not that was the rule.

Same as Farage had he lost that was it. Now the work must be done to build a life for Britain outside of Brussels control.

Interesting times. Maybe the UK will be the flagship for the 3rd way and Once again lead the world.

Let us reflect again in 20 years

that's the stuff dreams are made of, but whatever... c'est la vie! wink.png

@soalbundy at post #633

But that is your opinion.

Why did you not bring that fact to the attention of the government or your MP before the vote?

Where I come from, which is the UK, anything over 50% is a majority, therefore whichever side had won the vote would have been the victor.

You voted to remain. I voted to leave.

If your side had won the vote I would have accepted the result and got on with my life.

I would NOT have whined about the majority was not large enough and moaned for another referendum like so many of the losing side are doing.

I wouldn't have been overjoyed but I WOULD have accepted the result.

Now if I could do that, why can't you?

The old geezers left a bad inheritance for the Britain's youth. Silly old people.

HOW AGES VOTED
(YouGov poll)
18-24: 75% Remain
25-49: 56% Remain
50-64: 44% Remain
65+: 39% Remain

Hopefully the EU stand strong and also make needed changes to it's organisation. I'm sure EU will take all the best Britain youth inside, while leaves the elderly to UK. Fortunately there is no need to build a wall between EU and Britain.

Yet another one who is claiming the elderly have betrayed the youth..... You can post your silly stats, but the reality is that only 36% of 18 to 24 year olds bothered to vote.... They betrayed THEMSELVES.

But add to that, who are the wisest in society and who are the least wise????..... I will leave YOU to answer that one before you claim that brexit is a mistake.

yes, many who voted out have started to see the lies unravel already and are shocked by the markets reaction. The UK has already been down graded to negative and most analysts see a recession next year this is in direct opposition to 'everything will be hunky dory' from the Brexit leaders,this combined with the fact that immigration wont be able to be curtailed in the way promised. Eric Nielson of Uni credit Global gives The UK a C and the EU a B on an ABC financial rating and see's a recession looming for the UK.

At least you're honest, although I find it beyond unbelievable to think that this petition is due to brexit voters that now regret their choice - rather than remainers who are desperate for another referendum laugh.png !

I am in so far only emotionally involved in that i have a British passport, i haven't been there in decades and i don't intend ever to go back, my heart is in the EU. I shall read with interest though the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the island during the next 12 months. Who knows,after you have lost Scotland and any influence in the world you will be banging on the doors to be let back in again, albeit under worse conditions than you have now.

The result is the result. End of.

I do think many of the posters here who think it will be plain sailing are very badly wrong. There will be hardship for a while. But, yes I can see how England, Wales, N.Ireland (The future UK) will survive, and in time thrive. In the short term I would imagine the young will mobilise- possibly riot, certainly big demonstartions. Scotland will push for another referendum, whether they get it is another matter.

For us oldies or near oldies, well I think it is a big adjustment down. The pound has to be devalued further, it is inevitable. So whatever income you have from UK will worth less. And a great deal of social strife from all directions.

But we get through these things. Ten years time. The new UK could easily be thriving. At the very least it will be pottering along.

It seems that EU 'lost' England and Whales.

This might actually be a good thing for EU as the decision making process is likely to be easier in the future.

While some companies, who have located in England to have an access to EU markets, move to other EU states, it will have a positive impact for us.

England&Whales (is there a name for that combination?) will want to participate with the EU economic zone and will have to pay for that. The larger entity tends to get the best deals, which has been the idea of the EU zone.

Turkey will not become an EU member. Not before it can comply with all the rules EU places. They are not able to do that in decades. When they do, Turkey will be a different country, much more like other EU countries are. Even then, EU can say no for Turkey's membership.

It's about as much pie in the sky, as the Brexiters.

I dare say UK will survive, as will the EU.

\

PS: No union with large,aquatic mammalssmile.png

Edited by mommysboy

By the way, that petition that all the whining remainers are signing is 100% invalid.

It is NOT a petition that is calling for a second referendum. It is a petition that was published over A MONTH AGO asking for a rule to be added to the original Jun 23rd referendum. You can confirm that by clicking the link and scrolling to the bottom of the page and you will see it say clearly

Deadline 25 November 2016 All petitions run for 6 months

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Which means it was published on May 25th... There is even a possibility that it could have been started by a brexit supporter who foresaw a narrow win for remain.

But the top and bottom of it is..... It is NOT valid, it did NOT get even the 10,000 signatures to get a government response, it however was distributed by almost all of the mainstream media literally within hours of the result declaration, which conforms that the establishment are going to everything in their power to subvert the legal result.

By essence, this petition is 100% expired by default. I hope all 14 million sign it, because it will be even funnier when they all realise the joke is on THEM. They are ALL signing it in folly..... who let these idiots loose with a vote?... No wonder they lost.

I am in so far only emotionally involved in that i have a British passport, i haven't been there in decades and i don't intend ever to go back, my heart is in the EU. I shall read with interest though the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the island during the next 12 months. Who knows,after you have lost Scotland and any influence in the world you will be banging on the doors to be let back in again, albeit under worse conditions than you have now.

You and Sturgeon are deluded if you think that Scotland will leave the UK.

First off, it is up to Westminster to decide if they get one.

Secondly, Scotland is heavily dependent on the UK.

Thirdly their economic forecasts in the first referendum have totally collapsed with the oil price.

Additionally, the latest poll on how the Scots would vote was even more in favour of staying in the UK than the actual result in 2014.

Finally it takes at least 5 years to accede to the EU and there is lots of criteria they have to fulfill before they can join and Scotland will be an economic basket case by the time they even apply.

Scotland are going nowhere... Especially when the UK gets back the other 93% of its fishing territorial waters and the Scottish fishing industry comes back to life with the creation of an extra 100,000 UK wide jobs which is what was lost thanks to the EU diktat.

Edited by Brewster67