Now that Britain has voted to leave the EU, what comes next?

webfact

Amidst the disgusting triumphalism of Farange and suspicions that Boris used this to further his own ambitions one small thing caught my eye.

If this is all about the future what about the youngest group of eligible voters, who are the future , and who reportedly voted overwhelmingly to Remain and now have had their future put into question ?

I notice their reactions too. And it is because the younger generation knows nothing but the NANNY STATE and being without one's Nanny can be scary -- one needs a safe place to be shielded from the real world. How we have watched the generation that so bravely and valiantly bore the brunt of the Battle of Britain turn into the current generation - we see a head shaking mystery right before out eyes.

Edited by JDGRUEN

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The United Kingdom is a country that includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Its official name is “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.” England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are often mistaken as names of countries, but they are only a part of the United Kingdom."

That's from infoplease website. It's interesting because I thought England, Scotland and Wales were countries. That's the past and there are only UKers now. Calling someone English is like calling someone Texan? All confusing to me.

Scotland needs a second referendum on leaving the Union. However, this time let The English vote - you will then get your independence.

Edited by Loaded

Its not often that Donald Trump makes me laugh but on a visit to Scotland he tweeted, "Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!"

Someone has tweeted back, "Scotland voted IN you moron"

He's utterly despised in the area around Tumberry and Ayrshire in general. Despite what he will say, what he did to the clubhouse was not well received. Turnberry will never get the Open again either.

"The United Kingdom is a country that includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Its official name is “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.” England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are often mistaken as names of countries, but they are only a part of the United Kingdom."

That's from infoplease website. It's interesting because I thought England, Scotland and Wales were countries. That's the past and there are only UKers now. Calling someone English is like calling someone Texan? All confusing to me.

But I am English....not British or European

Still confusing. England is not a country. It's just a place, a part, or a state. I guess the next step is for the UK to break up.. or England to wipe out the Scots and Welsh and take over their land claiming it to be English.

Amidst the disgusting triumphalism of Farange and suspicions that Boris used this to further his own ambitions one small thing caught my eye.

If this is all about the future what about the youngest group of eligible voters, who are the future , and who reportedly voted overwhelmingly to Remain and now have had their future put into question ?

I notice their reactions too. And it is because the younger generation knows nothing but the NANNY STATE and being without one's Nanny can be scary -- one needs a safe place to be shielded from the real world. How we have watched the generation that so bravely and valiantly bore the brunt of the Battle of Britain turn into the current generation - we see a head shaking mystery right before out eyes.

I was looking at it from the idea that younger people these days are, in the main, better educated have broader horizons etc so see the EU and other countries as part of their world.

Things cannot simply be left to an older generation who despite experience and knowledge often look over their shoulders for the ' good old days ' that were often actually not that good.

From OP: "Now that Britain has voted to leave the EU, what comes next?"

Maybe we can talk about immigration without being called "racist"?

I've been buying European stocks and the British Pound "while there is blood in the street". This is my sentinel event that will allow me to shout "bullshit" the next time someone tells me what the oddsmakers' lines are.

Maybe fewer people will make fun of Nigel Farage and certain other prominent nationalists?

This is the beginning of a real Great Britain comeback if it starts making decisions that benefit its people instead of the elite.

People are tired of being oppressed by globalists and they want their countries back. This is just the beginning.

Congratulations Great Britain #Brexit. Everything will be not only OK but better.

Cheers.

People cheering on nationalists such as Farage are making, IMO, a profound error of judgement. Within hours of the leave campaign 'success' Farage has backed off on a number of claims he had made. Living in a dream world supporting the likes of Farage who in essence has blinded the working class to reality.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/20/brexit-fake-revolt-eu-working-class-culture-hijacked-help-elite

The Guardian has become a very left wing paper and once the champion of the working class has little in common with the working class. The result of the referendum clearly showed this. The reporting is bias, and whilst I know other papers also do this, Once I considered it to be levelled and reported fairly. But that has changed over the last few years. This article is an example of that. Do the research.

People forget, it was Nigel Farage who instigated this referendum. David (liar) Cameron promised a referendum in 2009 which never materialised. Due to the rise of UKIP Cameron then promised a referendum. Nigel Farage whether you like him or not has supported and campaigned for the UK out of the EU for over a decade. His speeches in the European Parliament have been patriotic and made perfect sense. He Championed the British cause and questioned the democratic reliability of the EU Commission and the corrupt deals that they do. Any leave voter who does not know that this man, Nigel Farage, is the reason the referendum happened and should be thanking him.

The 'thrust' of the Guardian article highlights my fears - generally, a good article IMO.

I do agree though that Farage/UKIP was the catalyst for the referendum.

So what do we do? Weight votes according to age?

It is the older generations who, in my view, will be looked back on in years to come as the ones who saved the UK from EU anti-democracy.

With age comes wisdom. If I had been 18, idealistic and naive, at the time of this referendum I would almost certainly have voted Remain. But now being a bit older and having had a lot more life experience I voted unhesitatingly to leave.

I have seen with my own eyes the creeping, insidious centralisation of power and the stripping away of democratic rights under the EU, something which the younger generation have not experienced.

Not to mention how on earth do they know the age groups of various voters - I thought votes were anonymous??

Are they relying on polls?

Do London, NI and Scotland have a majority of young voters, whilst other areas have a majority of old voters?

The 'reports' may well be right, but there is no way of knowing the actual numbers and teatrees makes some v good points if it is true.

Its not often that Donald Trump makes me laugh but on a visit to Scotland he tweeted, "Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!"

Someone has tweeted back, "Scotland voted IN you moron"

He's utterly despised in the area around Tumberry and Ayrshire in general. Despite what he will say, what he did to the clubhouse was not well received. Turnberry will never get the Open again either.

Shame that since he created lots of jobs up there...wink.png

It's not that easy.....the rest of the EU and Britain must agree on terms of mutual agreement on how EU nationals and British nationals deal with each other on many levels.

For example, when Britain is no longer a member of the EU.....and a German Bank wants to start a British branch....what are now the rules that apply?

It will take time, and mutual agreement on these and many other issues to resolve such issues.

The fun has just begun.

in theory at least rational people can find a mutually beneficial compromise.

Of course, that is assuming that both parties are "rational people"

I understand some want to "punish Britain" for the Brexit vote.

Now that kind of thing is not rational.....on either side.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I see hard times in the future for my British friends living in Thailand.

The exchange rate for thier money has not been good for a while now,

and this will only make it worse.

Its bad news for British expats generally,particularily the 300,000 or so who have retired in Spain and may no longer be able to enjoy things like reciprocal health agreements.

And in Thailand what happens to those that were on the borderline of the 40k and 65k monetary requirements for extensions of visas.

Many could well be under the threshold now and could well have to back their bags and go back to what kind of future in the UK.sad.png

"Now that Britain has voted to leave the EU, what comes next?"

WORLD WAR III

thumbsup.gif

Andrew Neil was scathing yesterday when interviewing a 'remain' politician about this claim and Osborne's promised 'punishment budget'. biggrin.png

Scaremongering tactics that rightly rebounded in their faces,the gravy train that was the EU has lost a puppet that eventually realized they were taking the mickey out of us by trying to dictate what was best for "our" country while sat on there asses in Brussels.

I am no means racist and happy to welcome anyone into the UK who is going to make a worthwhile contribution but walk around any town in the north of England nowadays and see what the effect of the past few years of immigration has brought.

Ask any working class person do they feel the taxes they have paid into the system for years should be spent on improving the lives of people who migrate to our country for purely economic reasons and the resounding answer is no.

Enough is Enough

And in Thailand what happens to those that were on the borderline of the 40k and 65k monetary requirements for extensions of visas.

Many could well be under the threshold now and could well have to back their bags and go back to what kind of future in the UK.sad.png

Macclad

What are you referring to when quoting 40k and 65k?

As far as I am aware the figure is 800k for a retirement visa and 400k if marriage visa?

And anyone living on the "borderline"in whatever country should live within their means,unless of course its in the UK where we hand out money to every tom dick or harry,or Shirley for that matter.

40k Thai Baht is the monthly requirement for an extension based on marriage,Peter.

Likewise 65k Thai Baht is the monthly requirement for an extension based on retirement.

The 400k and 800k you quote are alternatives to this which must be kept in a Thai bank.

You must be a worried man with this Brexit.....Jose will have a lot less money to spend at United now ! wink.png

40k Thai Baht is the monthly requirement for an extension based on marriage,Peter.

Likewise 65k Thai Baht is the monthly requirement for an extension based on retirement.

The 400k and 800k you quote are alternatives to this which must be kept in a Thai bank.

You must be a worried man with this Brexit.....Jose will have a lot less money to spend at United now ! wink.png

OK thanks now I understand,another BM posted a topic on TVF on how will Brexit affect the Premiership and my reply was to ban all new foreign players and thus give our youngsters a chance of first team football and maybe,just maybe we could have a world cup winning team again......

Ban bloody Jose too..... bring back Moyes .......55555555555555555

I see hard times in the future for my British friends living in Thailand.

The exchange rate for thier money has not been good for a while now,

and this will only make it worse.

Its bad news for British expats generally,particularily the 300,000 or so who have retired in Spain and may no longer be able to enjoy things like reciprocal health agreements.

If you have not got enough money 'behind you' then you should not be living in another country.......period!!!!

It's not that easy.....the rest of the EU and Britain must agree on terms of mutual agreement on how EU nationals and British nationals deal with each other on many levels.

For example, when Britain is no longer a member of the EU.....and a German Bank wants to start a British branch....what are now the rules that apply?

It will take time, and mutual agreement on these and many other issues to resolve such issues.

The fun has just begun.

in theory at least rational people can find a mutually beneficial compromise.

Of course, that is assuming that both parties are "rational people"

I understand some want to "punish Britain" for the Brexit vote.

Now that kind of thing is not rational.....on either side.

i suppose the real question is WHY a german bank would want to start an 'english' branch, when there is no more britain and all banks have moved their euro headquarters to dublin or frankfurt.

Still confusing. England is not a country. It's just a place, a part, or a state. I guess the next step is for the UK to break up.. or England to wipe out the Scots and Welsh and take over their land claiming it to be English.

Nothing confusing really, England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland are classed as countries and come together to form the United Kingdom. You will also find the Wales is principality hence 'The Prince of Wales"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

I was looking at it from the idea that younger people these days are, in the main, better educated have broader horizons etc so see the EU and other countries as part of their world.

Things cannot simply be left to an older generation who despite experience and knowledge often look over their shoulders for the ' good old days ' that were often actually not that good.

I see your point. But all too often - it seems with very recent generations - and especially this one... they are ready - willing and able to learn nothing from the past... history did not exist before they were born. Had they had to live in train station tunnels for all the years of WWII while bombs rained down, eat skimpy rations, lose brothers, sons, daughters by the tens of thousands, live under awful conditions, seeing their treasured areas destroyed ... then perhaps they would not be so ready to embrace all comers to the U.K. and the EU with such naive open arms. Naivety seems to be the hallmark of today's generation.

I see your point. But all too often - it seems with very recent generations - and especially this one... they are ready - willing and able to learn nothing from the past... history did not exist before they were born. Had they had to live in train station tunnels for all the years of WWII while bombs rained down, eat skimpy rations, lose brothers, sons, daughters by the tens of thousands, live under awful conditions, seeing their treasured areas destroyed ... then perhaps they would not be so ready to embrace all comers to the U.K. and the EU with such naive open arms. Naivety seems to be the hallmark of today's generation.

Britain leaving the (German) EU will be much less damaging than Britain resisting Germany in WW2.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/91-year-old-bristol-veteran-s-eu-facebook-post/story-29405121-detail/story.html