Juncker – “No renegotiation”

rooster59

Juncker – “No renegotiation”

By Catherine Hardy

post-247607-0-81017100-1466811248_thumb.

Emergency meeting in Brussels

The leaders of the European Council, European Commission and European Parliament gather for an emergency post-Brexit meeting in Brussels.

Around the table were:

• European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker
  • European Council President Donald Tusk
  • European Parliament President Martin Schulz

The three ‘R’s

EU leaders based their reaction to the news from London around “the three ‘R’s”

• Regret – at losing nearly a fifth of the EU economy and more of its military and global clout
  • Respect – for the will of the British people
  • Resolve – to keep the rest of the Union together

They also reminded the UK that it remains a full member for the time being.

“Get out, if you are going” – Juncker

EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker is adamant there is no going back:

“I’m very sad about this decision, but of course we have to respect it. We now expect the United Kingdom government to give the fact to this decision of the British people as soon as possible, however painful that process may be. Any delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty. As agreed, the new settlement for the United Kingdom within the European Union reached at European Council in February this year will now not take effect and ceases to exist. There will be no renegotiation.”

“Cameron is to blame and Scotland will break away” – Oettinger

Speaking on a visit to the Euronews headquarters in Lyon, the EU Commissioner for the Digital Economy and Society Gunther Oettinger says the blame for the failure to convince British voters to remain in the EU lies with the UK Prime Minister.

Oettinger: “It was his (Cameron’s) clear order that the Commission should be out of the game (the campaign).”
Nial O’Reilly (Euronews): “So, it’s his fault?”
Oettinger: “I think so, yes. What he did is not acceptable.Scotland will leave the UK, possibly, and so what Cameron and his counterpart Johnson did has damaged the whole United Kingdom for the next two to five years.”

The plan for the next few days

There will be hectic activity over the weekend.

• Saturday – Foreign ministers of the six founding countries meet in Berlin
  • Sunday – “Sherpa” messengers for EU leaders meet in Brussels, when a Spanish general election will also affect EU business.
  • Sunday/Monday – EU Commission’s “college” of 28 national commissioners meets in Brussels
  • Monday – Tusk and French President Francois Hollande meet in Paris
  • Monday – Tusk and Hollande travel to Berlin to meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel
  • Tuesday – EU leaders meet in Brussels for a 24 hour summit starting at 1700
  • Wednesday – David Cameron faces PMQs in UK parliament

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-25

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a bad divorce.

They want 50 % of each others assets .... or because they're both broke ... 50 % of each others debt ! biggrin.png

There shoudn't be any renegotiation nor change in trade agreements. Just leave everything like it was.

Trade agreements are there to give some overpaid bureaucrats something to do , and get some money on the side .

But now brussels want to play it rough, typical divorce.

Let's next have a vote on electing the European commission members:

Would you like these thee men in or out?

Around the table were:

• European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker
  • European Council President Donald Tusk
  • European Parliament President Martin Schulz

• Monday – Tusk and Hollande travel to Berlin to meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel

This is the meeting that Hollande and Tusk are told by Merkel that they will DO NOTHING that will impede Germany's massive export market to the UK.

This is the meeting that Hollande and Tusk are told by Merkel that they will DO NOTHING that will impede Germany's massive export market to the UK.

I now expect strong arm tactics to be used on other countries to punish Britain but I see it backfiring as it's the working people who'll lose their jobs if the EU try this. In the long term I see this as the start of other unhappy EU countries also looking at the exit. I still think as an economic union it could work but as a political union, the EU is finished I hope.

I now expect strong arm tactics to be used on other countries to punish Britain but I see it backfiring as it's the working people who'll lose their jobs if the EU try this. In the long term I see this as the start of other unhappy EU countries also looking at the exit. I still think as an economic union it could work but as a political union, the EU is finished I hope.

An economic Union of Countries with such a wide gulf in economies will never work.

Recent history shows us this and I give you this from 1990

Yugoslavia will cease to function as a federal state within a year, and will probably dissolve within two. Economic reform will not stave off the breakup. [...] A full-scale interrepublic war is unlikely, but serious intercommunal conflict will accompany the breakup and will continue afterward. The violence will be intractable and bitter. There is little the United States and its European allies can do to preserve Yugoslav unity.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1989-1992/breakup-yugoslavia

Ask a Slovenian how much money they were sending to Belgrade and why they wanted out.

Reciprocal trading or cutting off noses.

Imagine the despair in Brussels today among all those about to lose their cushy jobs at the EU. Not sure there's a great demand in London for workers with the skill set of an EU bureaucrat.

I suspect that overpaid, cushy jobs won't even be on the table when the EU consider areas to cut-back as a result of income (eventually) being reduced as a result of brexit.

If the EU maintains this determination though, it does mean that UK politicians can't hope that things will die-down, and then come up with fresh negotiations that require another referendum.

Countries in the EU stand to loose a lot if they cut of their noses. If they can afford to do that then all well and good, but I don't think so...there is a lot of money involved

Businesses will still deal with other businesses, no matter where they are.

The pollies and euro pen pushers (all of them) are really brassed off that the middle finger has been raised at them and they are incapable of doing anything about it other than put a tax levy on waffles, sausages, Stella and stomp around making other meaningless threats.

Go away.

"I suspect that overpaid, cushy jobs won't even be on the table when the EU consider areas to cut-back as a result of income (eventually) being reduced as a result of brexit."

I was referring specifically to British "workers" at the EU. I assume they won't be able to keep their jobs once they're no longer citizens of an EU state. There's going to be a lot of tears falling into those last glasses of Champagne.

Edited by taxout

Brits frantically Googled what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

It's strictly anecdotal now but I've read that lots of Brits voted for Brexit just to give Europe the middle finger and never expected Brexit to win. Now they're suffering from breakup remorse. I hope another poll gets done soon to see how the UK citizens feel about it now. Maybe a do-over referendum will follow? The UK is certainly headed for a short to medium-term recession.

Countries in the EU stand to loose a lot if they cut of their noses. If they can afford to do that then all well and good, but I don't think so...there is a lot of money involved
We shall see over the course of time after the UK has spent long enough in the naughty corner. Juncker looks like he wants to cut off his nose, who voted for him?

Mr Juncker really doesn't get it. Maybe this will help :

Juncker knows that brexit encourages the populations of other member countries to start thinking about leaving the EU.

It makes sense therefore (from the EU's point of view) to start negotiations immediately, and make it clear that the EU is v harsh on those countries that dare to leave.

I doubt the EU can force the UK into invoking article 50 before the UK is good and ready. But perhaps I'm wrong?

Edited by dick dasterdly

[quote

It's strictly anecdotal now but I've read that lots of Brits voted for Brexit just to give Europe the middle finger and never expected Brexit to win. Now they're suffering from breakup remorse. I hope another poll gets done soon to see how the UK citizens feel about it now. Maybe a do-over referendum will follow? The UK is certainly headed for a short to medium-term recession.

total sensationalism, where do you get the facts from an American rag. There will not be another vote the people have spoken. Short term problems sure but very short termA Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied slightly and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

"I suspect that overpaid, cushy jobs won't even be on the table when the EU consider areas to cut-back as a result of income (eventually) being reduced as a result of brexit."

I was referring specifically to British "workers" at the EU. I assume they won't be able to keep their jobs once they're no longer citizens of an EU state. There's going to be a lot of tears falling into those last glasses of Champagne.

My mistake.

But they've got another couple of years to enjoy the 'gravy train' and I've no doubt that those they've represented will be happy to give them consultancies and Board membership positions....

The UK buys billions of pounds worth more goods from the EU than the EU buys from the UK. The UK is the EU's biggest trade partner.

The EU really would be cutting off its own nose to spite its face if they put up trade barriers.

Juncker knows that brexit encourages the populations of other member countries to start thinking about leaving the EU.

It makes sense therefore (from the EU's point of view) to start negotiations immediately, and make it clear that the EU is v harsh on those countries that dare to leave.

I doubt the EU can force the UK into invoking article 50 before the UK is good and ready. But perhaps I'm wrong?

I think you are correct and for once the ball is firmly in the UK court and they don't like it hence the child-like response.

I think you are correct and for once the ball is firmly in the UK court and they don't like it hence the child-like response.

Its common sense from their point of view.

How are they going to stop the population of other countries demanding their own referendum? By immediately making it clear that those that leave will be dealt with v harshly. 3 months down the line (as is likely to happen unless the EU can force the UK into invoking article 50 immediately) is already too late. Other countries are already saying that they should also have a referendum.

[quote

total sensationalism, where do you get the facts from an American rag. There will not be another vote the people have spoken. Short term problems sure but very short termA Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied slightly and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

As I clearly wrote, it was strictly anecdotal. What's not anecdotal was the huge rush by Brits to find out on google what the EU is. Your assertions that the upshot will be no big deal are as baseless as predictions it will be a disaster. But I stand by the prediction that a short to medium term recession will follow. No rational multinational company is going to want to commit to investing more in the UK until they see how this all falls out. No rational British company with a strong export market in the EU will either. Whether it will be just a hiccup or an infarction is anybody's guess.

It will be interesting to see if the Conservatives stick to their policy of austerity now.

Do these people not know that as far as the democratic British public is concerned we are already gone. They can struggle on with the EU project until it slips away from their slyly taken control, none of them will go hime broke but the scam is blown ..

Britain used to have the negotiation power of having 500M people behind it's back.

Now it's just 60M people, soon less than that if Scotland and Northern Ireland choose to leave the kingdom. At that time there is no Great Britain, there is only Little England.

EU should use it's 500M people power to negotiate the best possibly deal for EU. Just like it has done when deal with Algeria or other non-EU countries.