Brexit: why British expats are worried

rooster59

Come on......You Naam.... laughed at every turn of a BREXIT!..........what history should i brush up on?......YOU know .........the right versionbiggrin.png

with a wife who voted for BRexit i had nothing to laugh at dry.png

you should brush up your knowledge of EU history and find that your "18-20 years" are "slightly" off the mark.

Ok.....i should of said the euro!!!..not EU.....1951-58??whatever!!!......http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/20/what-is-the-eu-why-was-it-created-and-when-was-it-formed1/

With hindsight I should have done lots of things in my life. Thrashing motorcycles arround is a necessity though.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pleased to hear that you are right and numerous organisations wrong. Phew, good to have you on board! Ta!

Dis you mean all the organisations such as the EU, US president, Prime Ministers of so many different countries, bankers and stock market traders, the IMF, the World Bank etc who so accurately predicted that the UK would remain in the EU?

Those sort of experts who never seem to get things wrong?

Yet quite a few posters at TVF including me said that the Brexit side would win the day and over 17 million UK voters felt the same and they won the day.

@alanchase........Are you saying Britain is now solely in charge of the Pound? We set the exchange rates?

No....certainly not!..........But from what britain does from now on is in their control.....Perceived good decisions/actions from world eyes influences currency rates along with other

data of course....

I say perceived because .........it's all about confidence in one's currency!

Exchange rates are set by the volume of currency traded, not by people or institiutions.

And yes, I'd say confidence in the currency is high (not), so much so that Moody's have downgraded the country's outlook and credit and hardly any banks, hotels, exchange booths will trade pounds for anything this weekend, because its value is so uncertain. All in all it's looking very stable, not!

haven't you hit the panic button......sell..sell..sellcheesy.gif ...2 days in and confidence is in the toilet........below is quick explanation of currencies

Only 1.13 seconds.......take a look

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/forex/how-forex-exchange-rates-set.asp

You can waffle and post links to idiot guides all you want but the statement above remains true, exchange rates are set based on volumes traded, supply and demand.

good lord!!..i'm not disagreeing.......How can it be an idiot guide when it states 'supply and demand' with employment,interest rates and

inflation as other variables.....you do agree with this don't you......or just supply and demand?

did you watch video?..........BTW investopedia is not known as an idiot guide!...

I am pleased to hear that you are right and numerous organisations wrong. Phew, good to have you on board! Ta!

Dis you mean all the organisations such as the EU, US president, Prime Ministers of so many different countries, bankers and stock market traders, the IMF, the World Bank etc who so accurately predicted that the UK would remain in the EU?

Yet quite a few posters at TVF including me said that the Brexit side would win the day and over 17 million UK voters felt the same and they won the day.

Now that the deceptions of the Brexit leaders are being exposed, we'll see how the majority of Brits feel. We'll just have to wait for the polls to see how much, if any, buyer's remorse there is.

Exchange rates are set by the volume of currency traded, not by people or institiutions.

And yes, I'd say confidence in the currency is high (not), so much so that Moody's have downgraded the country's outlook and credit and hardly any banks, hotels, exchange booths will trade pounds for anything this weekend, because its value is so uncertain. All in all it's looking very stable, not!

haven't you hit the panic button......sell..sell..sellcheesy.gif ...2 days in and confidence is in the toilet........below is quick explanation of currencies

Only 1.13 seconds.......take a look

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/forex/how-forex-exchange-rates-set.asp

You can waffle and post links to idiot guides all you want but the statement above remains true, exchange rates are set based on volumes traded, supply and demand.

good lord!!..i'm not disagreeing.......How can it be an idiot guide when it states 'supply and demand' with employment,interest rates and

inflation as other variables.....you do agree with this don't you......or just supply and demand?

did you watch video?..........BTW investopedia is not known as an idiot guide!...

I don't disagree with what the guide says, it and I both agree how exchange rates are set, none of which stops it being the guide that idiots turn to, in the absence of any knowledge in their own heads, when they first get involved in a forex or investment question.

BTW items such as employment rates, political risk etc impact demand sentiment, they do not directly affect the rate per se.

BTW items such as employment rates, political risk etc impact demand sentiment, they do not directly affect the rate per se.

correct!!.....per se meaning 'in itself'.......but they do play their part......

Rampant inflation for eg.......would suggest excessive money printing or import/export imbalances....ie....would affect currency valuation

And I question again how reliable this ordinary man is. Yesterday he said

<------->

ICYMI – last month he [Farage] announced that he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin. Calling a small defeat for his leave camp ‘unfinished business’, he predicted a second referendum on Europe.

Back then, he told the Mirror: ‘In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.’

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/remember-that-time-nigel-farage-said-52-48-votes-should-lead-to-second-referendum-5963900/

Today .... ???

We do not yet know, if he will stand by his words in a siatuation just the opposite. When you have seen him celebrating the "win", you may guess, he cannot or wouldn't like to remember his intention.

BTW.

I like the British very much. But some motives for the LEAVE disturbed me during this Brexit event.

• Money.

That so many people in Britain asked themselves how much do we earn for staying in the EU. If you want to join an organisation, a club, anassociation or such like, you consider many reasons for the membership. Money maybe one, but not the only and most imporatant one. You'll see in the future if Britain will earn money without the EU or if the Brexit vote has a losing result.

• Nationalism

Nowadays, it seems to be old-fashioned to realise some plans or ideas, if they cost some money. To create a Europe without borders and wars (as happened in the past centuries), to support the poorer parts of Europe by the financial aid of the rich are such idea(l)s.

I realise that this contains many problems, because not all members of a union are winners or at least moneywinners. And the success of a union cannot be seen within one year or one decade. So it was already a knife into the backside of the EU-idea when Thatcher demanded: I want my money back. Many people in Britain have been influenced by her stupid words until today. Imaagine all paying members in the EU would have said the same.

The future of Geat Britain?

Maybe the word "Great" must be removed if Scotlond builds an new state or N-Ireland will join Ireland. Nobody nows at now what will happen.

My heart goes out to the young Brtish people who in their overwhelming majority voted for STAYING. That means the majoity of the old people has hurt their own young people. Horrible!

Edited by puck2

ME ME ME.

and that is different from the mindset of those who voted to 'leave'?

Perhaps, but some may have been thinking of their country and their children's future.

That argument is past now and the UK should face its latest challenge, one they have control of themselves.

are you trying to tell me that your parents knew better what's good for you? cheesy.gif man, you must be the only one i've ever met.

growing old has few benefits. but the enlightenment of the recognition that we don't have the slightest clue what is good for our children - and the freedom that comes with that - is one of the few things i cherish about aging.

this entire brexit mess is just another clear example of super - imposing parents trying to rule their off - springs. and it will blow up into their wrinkled faces. big time.

"And more importantly, WHO are they going to blame when things go wrong and there's no Eu to blame. I've heard that an office of "blame responsibility" will be established within government so that the British public always has a scapegoat to point their fingers at without having to think first, it makes sense to me."

there is always the old arch - enemy...

oh, wait, they are already using that one, just checked a few further postings.

aaaahhh, muslims, perhaps? oh no, used them, too. indians, blacks, martians?

perhaps blame yourselves for a change, for your complacency, your laziness, your backward colonial thinking.

for letting economic opportunity after opportunity slip through your mow - twirling hands, loosing every premium british brand to those you despise.

and now you are making an innocent, open minded and hard working younger generation responsible for pulling the cart out of the mud you drove it into.

stiff upper lip, guys, at least some solidity you can rely upon in the next few years.

"And more importantly, WHO are they going to blame when things go wrong and there's no Eu to blame. I've heard that an office of "blame responsibility" will be established within government so that the British public always has a scapegoat to point their fingers at without having to think first, it makes sense to me."

perhaps blame yourselves for a change, for your complacency, your laziness, your backward colonial thinking.

for letting economic opportunity after opportunity slip through your mow - twirling hands, loosing every premium british brand to those you despise.

and now you are making an innocent, open minded and hard working younger generation responsible for pulling the cart out of the mud you drove it into.

stiff upper lip, guys, at least some solidity you can rely upon in the next few years.

You don't do satire, do you, we can tell.

ME ME ME.

Bit harsh there Rooo... what about British expats in Thailand, or are they a different case compared to expats who've chosen to retire to an EU country?

This Brexit caper wasn't even on the horizon when they made their collective decisions to leave the UK... don't you think someone has earned the right after paying taxes their whole working lives to spend their twilight years in the sun, away from the UK if they should choose to?

When even suffering the ignominy of only receiving a frozen pension. Quite a few Brits will be suffering from the devalued pound. And that includes Me! Me! Me!sad.png

Not forgetting the impact the ftse will have on many people

Im an expat Aussie now living in Thailand and now eligible for the full pension.The Australian Govt. have stopped me from recieving it in another country so now many countries are copying.I paid big tax all my life in Australia I think Im entitled to it. So guys hope your all.... rich because your countries tax payers will not be supporting you.

Im an expat Aussie now living in Thailand and now eligible for the full pension.The Australian Govt. have stopped me from recieving it in another country so now many countries are copying.I paid big tax all my life in Australia I think Im entitled to it. So guys hope your all.... rich because your countries tax payers will not be supporting you.

Long term, emigration has always only been for the rich. Thailand got flooded with British expats only because for a relatively short period the Pound was unsustainably strong.

MJP Im not rich but it is a lot cheaper to live in Thailand and its not a nanny state.The problem is the govts want to support legal and illegal immigrants more so than naturalised folk so all the tax payers money is being diverted

You don't do satire, do you, we can tell.

no, i don't. satire is a form of humor and you know how 'we' suck at that wink.png .

i just make my enemies by seeing and telling things the way they are.

hope your monday is not going to get spoiled by bad news about your home countries economy. and i honestly mean that.

we need global economic stability in this times of global political upheaval.

be good

Long term, emigration has always only been for the rich. Thailand got flooded with British expats only because for a relatively short period the Pound was unsustainably strong.

Think all currencies were strong during the Asian crash. Why pick on the Pound? Dollar got up to 45 didn't it?

Your country found a way to remove undesirables before, maybe we can learn from history.

An appalling comment - why on earth would you post something like this???

Have I missed a subtle nuance?

Poles are already being handed go home messages - [http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-eu-referendum-racial-racism-abuse-hate-crime-reported-latest-leave-immigration-a7104191.html]Anti-Polish Hate Messages[/url]. This is despite the fact that we were told there would be no mass expulsions.

ME ME ME.

and that is different from the mindset of those who voted to 'leave'?

Perhaps, but some may have been thinking of their country and their children's future.

That argument is past now and the UK should face its latest challenge, one they have control of themselves.

are you trying to tell me that your parents knew better what's good for you? cheesy.gif man, you must be the only one i've ever met.

growing old has few benefits. but the enlightenment of the recognition that we don't have the slightest clue what is good for our children - and the freedom that comes with that - is one of the few things i cherish about aging.

this entire brexit mess is just another clear example of super - imposing parents trying to rule their off - springs. and it will blow up into their wrinkled faces. big time.

Yes, they knew to tell me not to touch that because it is hot.

Don't try to pet that strange dog, and many many other things.

I am so sorry your parents taught you nothing.

Brexit is a liberation, but as I said already, let the UK face its newest challenge and wipe up that spilt milk.

There is a big Norwegian community living in Spain, many of them are working in bars and other businesses. They have the same rights as EU members and healthcare is also provided, thanks to the agreement with EU .

So I don't see the problem here. UK just need to negotiate and get ready to sign a new agreement.

Now that the deceptions of the Brexit leaders are being exposed, we'll see how the majority of Brits feel. We'll just have to wait for the polls to see how much, if any, buyer's remorse there is.

Would that be the same polls that kept on telling us that remain would Win?

There is a big Norwegian community living in Spain, many of them are working in bars and other businesses. They have the same rights as EU members and healthcare is also provided, thanks to the agreement with EU .

So I don't see the problem here. UK just need to negotiate and get ready to sign a new agreement.

Norway is more integrated into EU than Britain ever was, implementing more EU regulations than real member states. Its more or less a de-facto member state, yet without any influence what so ever. I don't think that's is what the leave-voters where trying to achieve.

Norway also has much higher immigration than Britain. I don't think the leave voters really considered that either.

WB

Edited by Wonderboy

ME ME ME.

Bit harsh there Rooo... what about British expats in Thailand, or are they a different case compared to expats who've chosen to retire to an EU country?

This Brexit caper wasn't even on the horizon when they made their collective decisions to leave the UK... don't you think someone has earned the right after paying taxes their whole working lives to spend their twilight years in the sun, away from the UK if they should choose to?

When even suffering the ignominy of only receiving a frozen pension. Quite a few Brits will be suffering from the devalued pound. And that includes Me! Me! Me!sad.png

I have never understood how the British can give their retired citizens living abroad a fixed pension, never increasing so eventually it will only buy an ice cream or a glass of ale.This is disgusting. The UK is a signatory to the UN charter saying that a person can have legitimate residence of more than one country without being penalised. Surely the fixed pension is against this and thus human rights. The Australian aged pension is reviewed every six months and the the average increase is between about 0.6% and 0.8% per every 6 months. The only difference between those residing in the country and outside the country is that the overseas residents get about AUD$120 a month less. I loosely say a month but the pension is actually paid every 2 or 4 weeks, depending on ones preference.

What you don't say, and may not know, is that Norway agreed to be governed by the same rules as members of the EU. That includes immigration and free movement of labor for all EU country members. The difference is, Norway gets no say in creating these rules and regulations.

What you don't say, and may not know, is that Norway agreed to be governed by the same rules as members of the EU. That includes immigration and free movement of labor for all EU country members. The difference is, Norway gets no say in creating these rules and regulations.

Which would be really really funny.... Voting to "leave" because you did not want to be "ruled from Belgium" by undemocratic forces -- yet ending up in exactly the same situation with much less "democtratic" say in the arrangements... Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Which would be really really funny.... Voting to "leave" because you did not want to be "ruled from Belgium" by undemocratic forces -- yet ending up in exactly the same situation with much less "democtratic" say in the arrangements... Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Yes to everything above. Let the cherry-picking begin! Having your cake and eating it springs to mind.

Good luck Brexiters, you're going to need it. If you want any particular little 'cherries' to fall into your laps that is.