Walking street markets

Just checked with one of my neighbours, on this, as they are vendors at these markets.

Apparently closed down because of the army "clean up" ... They are expecting things to return to "normal" in a couple of weeks.

There is still one area of the fisherman's village market open... but vastly reduced in area... she expects that to be all open again soon! rolleyes.gif

Just checked with one of my neighbours, on this, as they are vendors at these markets.

Apparently closed down because of the army "clean up" ... They are expecting things to return to "normal" in a couple of weeks.

There is still one area of the fisherman's village market open... but vastly reduced in area... she expects that to be all open again soon! rolleyes.gif

sad.png

There is a sig at Maenam Walking Street, the Thai text should say something like, that the market is closed for a period; but not giving any specific time.

post-122720-0-72925700-1466934554_thumb.

I have been told, that yesterday (Saturday 25th) there was a kind of demonstration ("big talk") about the closing of the Walking Street market, at the plaza in front of The Chinese Temple.

What will happen to the people who rely on the markets for their living. I suppose the Army will pay compensation for loss of income.

I am a bit baffled by this comment. The markets are relatively new, well in the case of Bophut anyway. The vendors set up stalls on public land, in front of high rental outlets, in a lot of cases impeding legitimate businesses traffic.

Now I ask you this question, is anyone compensating the affected businesses? The answer is NO. The stalls pay rent to local entities who think they are entitled to collect revenue from PUBLIC roads.

As you might see in the news section, they are keeping the one in Bophut contained in the private area of the wharf, as it should be & not obstructing public roads.

I can't speak for Bophut/ Fisherman's Village walking street, I have never been, it a zoo to even try to find parking ...

I heard about the issue from some locals, that there was a "dispute over money" and that caused the shutdown, perhaps the shooting too?) there were several access roads being closed....by the army.

The ring road from Maenam to Bophut two Fridays ago was a nightmare! I happened to be coming from the airport area, which was pretty bad for backed upped traffic too.

As for Maenam Walking street, many of the merchants have their own tables outside their shops, and I would think a boost to the weekly intake and sales, many stores would be closed in the evening along there anyway.

It probably does not bring the tourists to Samui, but tourists certainly go to these markets.... some buy, some are just looky lous! ..... And yes for some of the vendors it is their only source of income. It can be slim pickings in low season, sometimes not even covering their rent for the table!

Archived