when in rome do as romans do. when in thai do as thais do

opalred

remember in your own country you hated the new immigrants

I never hated the immigrants in my home country, and there were plenty in the area where I lived. Italians. Moroccans, Turks and Spaniards and I had friends among all nationalities.

I hate Thais with a vengeance.

I'm not yet at that stage..but know where you're coming from, and respect your honesty.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, the truth hurts. You can't use logic, or reason to refute any of my points. You have a fixation on Alpha Males (are you in the right sub-forum?), or, have you always wanted to be a Thai girl called Jeab?

So far, not a single statement of yours has been backed by facts, not even addressing my last post. You just got your panties in a twist over a mild insult, completely skipping responding to my point.

Lost the discussion? You lost it when you tried to deflect and not bother to address my points.

Please address this simple questions (if you can).

If I wasn't invited to Thailand, why do you consider me a guest?

Edited by KarenBravo

Obviously, the truth hurts. You can't use logic, or reason to refute any of my points. You have a fixation on Alpha Males (are you in the right sub-forum?), or, have you always wanted to be a Thai girl called Jeab?

So far, not a single statement of yours has been backed by facts, not even addressing my last post. You just got your panties in a twist over a mild insult, completely skipping responding to my point.

Lost the discussion? You lost it when you tried to deflect and not bother to address my points.

Please address this simple questions (if you can).

If I wasn't invited to Thailand, why do you consider me a guest?

Could be because not everybody thought it was a worthless video and chose to disengage.

I choose to only have Thai friends mostly. Have 2 expats I have a beer with occasionally but the rest of the time I spend with Thais. You may ask why. Well just look at some of the posts on here and can see why I do not want anything to do with foreigners. Bitter, twisted, miserable people. Apologies to the couple of decent people on here. Just read the posts from Jingthing and others on the first page and all will be evident. A miserable lot that just want to slag off people. Get out and enjoy where your living or live elsewhere.

when you come here to live in the falang gated houses

in the middle ofa old thai village

the locals say we are so happy to have the smart falang here/?

when the africa muslim or thai group go to live in a gated housing in middle of your home town

we are so lucky to have them here/?

In the East, locals exploit the foreigners. In the West, foreigners exploit the locals. East folk seem happier.

I agree with the point about we Expats not being IMMIGRANTS. As for learning the language, ah well.....

Many years ago while working for a Thai Government Department in my home country, I enrolled in a Thai Language Class.

I took just one lesson and had to visit BKK. On arrival at HQ, I dropped a few words in Thai. Everyone was delighted with my having made the effort BUT, they then suggested we revert to English because THEY wanted to "work on their English skills."

To top that off, when we moved here after I retired, I enrolled TWICE in Thai Language Classes BUT my wife told me they were a waste of money, as I could Learn from BOOKS and from her and our daughter... that was FIVE Years ago and all I can do is get by with a few Polite words of greeting in Thai. I suspect the Wife doesn't want me to understand what she's saying around her old School and Uni Cronies.

Or maybe youre not a strong independent learner.

Petty bickering posts/responses removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Lannig.

I lived in Pattaya for 11 years,it was enough for me.So dont get the idea that i dont know Pattaya and all its little hell holes that go with it.I had a bar for 5 years and over those years i saw things and people that you cant even imagine.So dont try and tell me about my post.How long have you been here? because if its a long time then you have still learned nothing.i came to live in KK because in the village,its peacefull and i am left alone to do things that you cant do without having immigration or the RTB on your back. I also have the company of a good woman who gives me no trouble.

You lead your life.

And keep your opinions where they belong,between your ears.

I also have very good friends still in Pattaya,who keep me clued up.

I don't understand the question .. . Of course I mix with Thais when in Thailand. Mix with Cambodians when in Cambodia... Filipinos when in the Philippines.. Americans when in the U.S., Canadians when in Canada...

Why go to a foreign country if you don't want to get to know the people and make friends with them?

I would just as soon stay home and save my money if that was the case..

The original Post is a bit of a troll.

However, I have met some foreigners that actually do immerse themselves in as many Thai cultural activities as possible including simply hanging out with the Thais all the time in a manner that has them thinking they are seeing the real Thailand and living like Thai people.

They are known as Peace Corps volunteers.

True enough, if you did come to Thailand by way of the Peace Corps then you would get a real, true life: When in Thailand do as the Thais do..... slice of Thailand life .......but... the poorer side and poverty side more so than all the diversified aspects that Thailand has now evolved into...and part of the reasons why we carry on staying here.....while all the modern conveniences come to mind

Sure if we want we can go "All Native" and do all of that "Thai stuff" including going to Buddhist Temples with the Thais and participating in the regional and annual events and festivals and going to Thai weddings with your Thai friends ( never been myself but some say usually a Thai wedding is a blast...if you like drinking )

Go with Thai people to many and various restaurants and try every kind of Thai food .....Ride a buffalo ..Swim in a country side klong and country side rivers and streams and go fishing with Thai people ....Chase and beat poisonous snakes...Watch Thai Monks come around and perform all kinds of strange religious rituals that you can sort of participate in if you want or go to where the Thai people inform you that some sort ghost and spirit chasing ritual is going to happen and witness the bizarre event with your Thai friends

Help the locals plant some rice and help them harvest it also

Help kill a pig and or a chicken and help prepare it for the evening meal.

Eat some Buffalo meat

Eats some local insect delicacies and chase it down with Mekong whiskey and Singha beer.

Sleep on the floor in basic rooms with no air conditioning and just a fan and sometimes no fan....just the night time breeze

Trek up the mountains and camp with your new found Thai acquaintances and friends.

Learn Thai and or Lao language for several hours a day so you can communicate with the local Thai people.

Teach them English in return.

Visit numerous schools for poor children with your Thai associates.

And many, many other activities to do : When in Thailand do as the Thais do.

Over the years I met 2 people who came here by way of the Peace Corp and they did all of that and more....or so they told me of their many adventures during their 2 year voluntary stints in the Peace Corps

So if you really want to get involved with Thai people and do as the Thais do then join the Peace Corp and or any other such voluntary organizations such as the Peace Corp.

Have a look at the video clip from the Tom Hanks movie: Volunteers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEp6SjgQnt4

Cheers

One thing I did was leave the city... (Chiang Mai) and go deep into the north west mountains with a Lisu friend from university in Chiang Mai. Travelled there in an old rickety pickup truck.

We went to their Lisu village deep in the mountains.. .... and a family put me up in their home for several days.

I ate food I had no idea what it was....but I witnessed pigs and chickens being bled and butchered for meals.. Much as our ancestors did I suppose.

I took part in their dances at night.. (It was a time when they honour their ancestors and nature spirits... . around the time of Chinese New Year..)

There were no hotels... no wifi.. no cell reception. I was the only westerner in the village. Little kids came up to me... wanting to touch my hair and skin. Everyone stared at me.... but within one day.... they were getting me on my feet at night to take part in Lisu dances... and the men were offering me beers. I didn't understand the Lisu language.. But these poor people made me feel right at home.. I offered my respects at the "grandfathers" tomb with the other villagers...

Thankfully... my Lisu friend understood Thai, Lisu and English.... An amazing experience...

Lannig.

I lived in Pattaya for 11 years,it was enough for me.So dont get the idea that i dont know Pattaya and all its little hell holes that go with it.I had a bar for 5 years and over those years i saw things and people that you cant even imagine.So dont try and tell me about my post.How long have you been here? because if its a long time then you have still learned nothing.i came to live in KK because in the village,its peacefull and i am left alone to do things that you cant do without having immigration or the RTB on your back. I also have the company of a good woman who gives me no trouble.

You lead your life.

And keep your opinions where they belong,between your ears.

I also have very good friends still in Pattaya,who keep me clued up.

Obviously you misunderstood my point.

My point was that most of these ugly things you were listing are happening almost only in rotten tourist places like Pattaya and Phuket. They are not representative of Thailand as a whole, and I'm sure that you must know this if you're living away from these hell holes now. Well, you actually seem to, so basically were are on the same line, why reducing Thailand to Pattaya's ugliness? Can we agree saying that Pattaya is not Thailand? This thread is about Thailand, not Pattaya.

I'm no longer in Thailand but I have lived there for 8 years, commuting from my home base in central Thailand to BKK for work.

As for my opinions, I'm exactly as entitled to post them here as you are.

I don't understand the question .. . Of course I mix with Thais when in Thailand. Mix with Cambodians when in Cambodia... Filipinos when in the Philippines.. Americans when in the U.S., Canadians when in Canada...

Why go to a foreign country if you don't want to get to know the people and make friends with them?

I would just as soon stay home and save my money if that was the case..

how you are doing in the US? As Indians? US is a country of immigrants. Different communities different cultures. in different states ... different thinks.