Senior local government officials in Samut Sakhon province removed

rooster59

Senior local government officials in Samut Sakhon province removed

post-247607-0-94064700-1466899440_thumb.

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday invoked Section 44 of the interim constitution to remove the governor and the chief police of Samut Sakhon province out of the province.

They are among 23 local senior civil servants, metropolitan and provincial police officers transfered to inactive positions in their respective departments under the order.

The lightning transfer of senior officials of Samut Sakhon came just one day after the visit to Talad Talay Thai in Samut Sakhon province to meet Myanmar migrant workers by the Myanmar State Counselor and Foreign Minister Aung San Suu Kyi on Thursday.

The transfer order was published yesterday in the Royal Gazette and released today.

Transferred back to their original departments on a temporary basis are senior local government officials and senior police officer of Samut Sakhon province.

They are the governor Mr Manrat Ratananon, the police chief Pol Maj Gen Sorakrai Poonperm, the deputy attorney. Mr Nantavut Utsahatan, the industry officer Mr Songvuth Chotima, and the labour officer Ms Ratana Plachai.

The transfer followed complaints of alleged negligence of duties, malfeasance in office, and corruption.

The transfer of these officials from their present positions to their original departments will facilitate investigations of the alleged charges, and enable the government to resolve problems of urgency efficiently.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/senior-local-government-officials-samut-sakhon-province-removed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-26

Well I guess the PM does include the bib in his requests for honesty along with the civil service personel.

Hope this is just a start to cleaning up the trash that is on public payroll. Now is will they jail them, sieze assits

and do not stop until a clean sweep is made, it would make a lot of the good people happy.

One man already proposed letting drug users in jail, out, so there will be plenty of room for the more deserving of

a place in a Thai bar hotel. Good way to start a new week.

Edited by slapout

They must have one huge building named "Inactive Post Department". Has hundreds of offices

yeh I can't quite figure that one out, I guess they can't sack them until they have been convicted of something and because there are so many cases it will take a very long time to gather evidence and make a case to convict, in fact it is probably an impossible task, maybe some sort of fast track is required just for these types of cases........oh wait I thought they were going to do that already.

Well I guess the PM does include the bib in his requests for honesty along with the civil service personel.

Hope this is just a start to cleaning up the trash that is on public payroll. Now is will they jail them, sieze assits

and do not stop until a clean sweep is made, it would make a lot of the good people happy.

One man already proposed letting drug users in jail, out, so there will be plenty of room for the more deserving of

I hope they do let drug users out.. its crazy that drug users (if they commit no other crime then using) are jailed. Now if your driving a car while high or committing a crime when high sure throw the book at them. But just using and causing no trouble. That is just old style repression. Go after dealers and producers.. not users that do no harm.

I'm a little confused about the "normal" reporting relationships and accountabilities in Thailand.

According to Wikipedia, provincial Governors are appointd by the Minister of Interior, who in turn reports to the Prime Minister.

I would have assumed the Minister of Interior, under orders from the PM, could have invoked the order to suspend the Governor from his post pending investigations. Why was Section 44 necessary?

Similarly, the Royal Thai Police report directly to a Commissioner General, who reports to the PM. Does he not have authority to suspend provincial Police Chiefs on a temporary basis?

This frequent use of Section 44 subverts administrative procedure and the rule of law (due process). How can this possibly be consistent with "reform" that might survive beyond the current rulers?

Oh, silly me. wai.gif

Edited by phoenixdoglover

I hope they do let drug users out.. its crazy that drug users (if they commit no other crime then using) are jailed. Now if your driving a car while high or committing a crime when high sure throw the book at them. But just using and causing no trouble. That is just old style repression. Go after dealers and producers.. not users that do no harm.

No Users No Dealers

One down, 75 provinces to go...

He wasn't the first to go... I believe from Thai news that the Governor for the province which contains the islands where they get the nest for Bird nest soup is gone... . Maybe if they take a few down, others will think twice and straighten up their act. Most of the Thai's I know are good people, fairly honest and are tired of all the corruption. For things to change, harsher punishments needed to be handed down instead of just "lose face"

One down, 75 provinces to go...

He wasn't the first to go... I believe from Thai news that the Governor for the province which contains the islands where they get the nest for Bird nest soup is gone... . Maybe if they take a few down, others will think twice and straighten up their act. Most of the Thai's I know are good people, fairly honest and are tired of all the corruption. For things to change, harsher punishments needed to be handed down instead of just "lose face"

Many Thais say they are tired of the corruption but really mean 'other people's corruption". Most that I've met of the same ilk think nothing of driving on the wrong side of the road, or through a red light or without a helmet.

Corruption is insidious, it starts ion small ways. Once you can be convinced that there is no downside to breaking laws in 'small' ways, people learn that the risk of breaking laws in 'larger' ways is worth taking and generally profitable. From there, it's a small move to what would be recognised as corruption and not petty misdemeanours. After all, riding without a helmet is harmless... most of the time. Until it isn't. And insurance fraud (for example) is a 'victim-less crime'. But someone always pays, one way or the other.

In general, Thais are not educated about the need for laws, are not bright enough to work it out for themselves, and too engaged in being 'good people' or 'pooyays' to consider that being able to commit, even petty crimes with impunity, is not good for society. And then they moan when society falls apart, or when someone else's 'victim-less crime' costs them money. Then they get all 'fed up' with other people's corruption.

Honest Thais? Sometimes I think this is an oxymoron, and thast's not because I want to think that way, it's because Thais have taught me to think that way, by their actions. In my experience there are only Thais whose crimes have not yet been discovered, or whose crimes have been discovered but are 'trival', and therefore arbitrarily forgiven because they are otherwise 'good people'.

Thin end of the wedge.

Winnie