Outer space objects which crashed through roofs in Phitsanulok are Achondrites

rooster59

Outer space objects which crashed through roofs in Phitsanulok are Achondrites

post-247607-0-96685800-1467422311_thumb.

BANGKOK: The National Astrological Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) has confirmed that the two mysterious pieces of object which crashed through the roofs of some houses in Phitsanulok’s Muang district on June 27 are Achondrites – a class of meteorite that lacks Chondrule.

Dr Sarun Posayachinda, deputy director of NARIT, told the media that the institute received the two pieces of object which were believed to come from the outer space from Mrs Bualom Chalomprai and her family.

The pieces were sent to the metallurgical technology research centre for electron microscope scanning and initial finding shows they are Achondrites, said Dr Sarun.

Achondrites account for about 8 percent of the meteorites which were found on Earth. Scientists believe they originated from the surface of the Moon and Mars.

He added that it would take a few more days for the research centre to determine where the Achondrites originated from the ingredients of the objects.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/170845-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-02

After watching a season of "Meteorite Men", I wonder how much they can get at auction for the traceable meteorite material along with a few artifacts that it damaged.

On thing I'm pretty sure- they'll never have to work again (nor will their family's next 10 generations) if they play it smart.

Pretty sure they are not from surface of the moon or Mars.

How did they get into space from either of these bodies??

Something plunges into the surface of the moon or planet, kicking rocks out into space.

The moon has a very thin atmospheres, so space junk don't burn up on entry. It also has low gravity, so it's relatively easy for stuff to reach terminal velocity to escape into space.

Meteorites from the moon are fairly common. Those from Mars are exceptionally rare - only 130 or so have been found.

After watching a season of "Meteorite Men", I wonder how much they can get at auction for the traceable meteorite material along with a few artifacts that it damaged.

On thing I'm pretty sure- they'll never have to work again (nor will their family's next 10 generations) if they play it smart.

http://geology.com/meteorites/value-of-meteorites.shtml

Doesn't mention the anchondrites mind you...

I'm not holding myself out as an expert, but from the show, it seems that any fragments traceable to known (current news) impacts are worth more, and if they actually did some verifiable damage to manmade structures, it's cha-ching, cha-ching.

Still, not crazy money like $$ millions for a piece of Mars or the moon. (as if they can verify that...)

a class of meteorite that lacks Chondrule

TAT News:

as soon as the meteorite entered Thai airspace, all its Chondrules went missing, however, an honest Thai taxi driver found them and returned them to the rightful owner.

Meteorites can be found for sale all over the internet and the asking prices are form $12 to $1500 and the market is open..They are not worth as much as you think. I would offer about $8 to $15 for the ones here in Thailand that I saw pictures of.

Edited by sanukjim

The National Astrological Research Institute of Thailand

I have long suspected that there is a confusion between science and superstition in this country.

Astrology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with Astronomy, the scientific study of celestial objects.
Astrology
270px-Venice_ast_sm.jpg
The astrological signs Astrology categories

Expand list
for reference

Branches of astrology The planets in astrology 16px-Astrologia-tynk%C3%A4.jpg Astrology portal Astrology project

Astrology is the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial objects as a means for divining information about human affairs and terrestrial events

Ummm, I still don't!

--------------------------

For info then....Achondrites are stony meteorites mostly basalt rock or other volcanic type material.

A Chondule (may be misspelled) means another mineral inclusion in the rock.

Achondites are often blasted off into space from their home planet or asteroid by impacts and they often show evidence of being melted by the violence of that impact

Or to be simple, they are pieces of rock that are blown off their home by other rocks, got hot and partially melted, were then thrown into space, and eventually came to earth.

In this case, Thailand.

End Science lesson for today.

Meteorites can be found for sale all over the internet and the asking prices are form $12 to $1500 and the market is open..They are not worth as much as you think. I would offer about $8 to $15 for the ones here in Thailand that I saw pictures of.

It ain't the rock that's intrinsically valuable. It's the provenance that makes it so. The fact that it damaged a man-made structure puts it into a special category of "rare" and collectable.

Too bad they don't have a video of the streak across the sky.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/shortcuts/2013/feb/18/russian-meteorite-fragments-stratospheric-prices

Edited by impulse

Something plunges into the surface of the moon or planet, kicking rocks out into space.

The moon has a very thin atmospheres, so space junk don't burn up on entry. It also has low gravity, so it's relatively easy for stuff to reach terminal velocity to escape into space.

Meteorites from the moon are fairly common. Those from Mars are exceptionally rare - only 130 or so have been found.

That's what I thought when I read maoro's post, but as I don't have the scientifical knowledge which you, Oxx, obviously do have, I wasn't sure, so thanks for enlightening us.

maoro's post is an interesting example of one major human flaw, if I may suggest : he starts with a rather bold affirmation, on a subject he obviously knows very little about, and then (good for him) he does ask the question 'how'. The question would have sufficed, but no, he must start by making an uninformed statement. Education does that to us ... as kids we bombard adults with questions, and then as we start thinking that we know about this and that, we start affirming things on all manners of topics, including those we haven't really explored. And it seems that the less we know the more we think we do. True experts, in any given field, will often tell you : "well, it's complicated, we're not sure, we think that ..."

When they have very large collisions with asteroids and some such, the explosions are so vigorous that parts of the rubble are blown into space and there they orbit until they are drawn to the earth by gravity!

amazing stuff really!! smile.pngthumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

The National Astrological Research Institute of Thailand

I have long suspected that there is a confusion between science and superstition in this country.

Astrology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Astrology is the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial objects as a means for divining information about human affairs and terrestrial events

They actually have an Institute for Astrology? Of course, this is Thailand! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gifsad.pngwai.gif

When they have very large collisions with asteroids and some such, the explosions are so vigorous that parts of the rubble are blown into space and there they orbit until they are drawn to the earth by gravity!

amazing stuff really!!

That's if you believe the guys selling rocks from the moon or Mars for $$ millions...

Based on spectrographic analysis similarity between their rock and a long distance measurement of spectography of the moon and Mars.

I have no doubt that matter gets blown off by energetic collisions. Whether the rocks they're selling were once part of Mars? I'm skeptical. The moon. maybe. Because we have some actual samples to match.

http://geology.com/meteorites/value-of-meteorites.shtml

Doesn't mention the anchondrites mind you...

Interpretation anchondrites are a new form of space rock DISCOVERED by Thailand. I am sure the people who found them will miss out on the big money they are obviously worth when they turned them over to the government. I hope at least they received a voucher for rice from the huge stockpile in storage. Its the least the government could do to reward their zealousness. For the sake of disclosure I would not have been so zealous.

Rock or the start of an alien invasion? If the latter there is no need to worry as they will be banned for a number of years for entering the country without a visa

No need to worry. A survey of all alien invasions in the past 25 years show that they only target Washington.

Check with Universal studios etc, for confirmation.

It ain't the rock that's intrinsically valuable. It's the provenance that makes it so. The fact that it damaged a man-made structure puts it into a special category of "rare" and collectable.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/shortcuts/2013/feb/18/russian-meteorite-fragments-stratospheric-prices

If the rocks had been signed by the Man in the Moon the price would go through the roof well so to speak. How would that be for provenance? I think maybe a recorded re-enactment would be in order complete with the people pointing at the sky.

Edited by elgordo38

If the rocks had been signed by the Man in the Moon the price would go through the roof well so to speak. How would that be for provenance? I think maybe a recorded re-enactment would be in order complete with the people pointing at the sky.

Pointing in the video would be valuable only if the pebbles were sold into the domestic market. Most folks around the world just wouldn't get it.