3 pin plug

croftrobin

have a moulded plug as per the photo. It has no earth connection, as it is connected to a small oven I would prefer if it were earthed.

Can this plug be added to or should I cut it off and add a 3 pin plug?

The flex is thick so I suspect 3 wires are present.

post-1402-0-00565500-1467515505_thumb.jp

The hole in the plug does NOT line up with the Thai earth pin, so just sticking a pin in the hole won't work sad.png

Several choices:-

Cut off the existing plug and fit a local 3-pin one, most are pug-ugly and have awkward terminals. Haco do reasonable looking ones which let the cord hang parallel to the wall. They are a lot less fragile than they look.

The Haco part number is "P002"

P002.JPG

Use an adaptor like this;-

schuko-2.jpg

schuko-3.jpg

Install the correct Schuko outlet like this, Haco do them too:-

IMG_5704.jpg

also might be worth also just checking that you actually have an earth connection installed in the socket itself

many times in thailand the three pin may be installed with only two wire supply just a thought maybe of some help

also might be worth also just checking that you actually have an earth connection installed in the socket itself

many times in thailand the three pin may be installed with only two wire supply just a thought maybe of some help

For sure check. When we renovated (replaced) the wiring in the house, every wire was black and had a two fuse box, I bought red, black and green wire and a 1.5 metre copper earth rod. Local sparky set them to one side and explained, 'not need in Thailand'.

Local sparky was replaced along with the wiring.

Check the label on the oven, if it has an double insulation symbol (Class II symbol) it should not be connected to earth. This symbol is a smal square in a larger square. If the labe has a class I symbol it must be connected to earth, fit a new plug.

I'm ditto'ing this.

Many times they install 3 pin outlets, but unless you actually saw them pull three wires don't trust that, and even if they did, confirm that ground wire actually go to a ground spike. Don't trust anything until you follow the wiring yourself.

I'm ditto'ing this.

Many times they install 3 pin outlets, but unless you actually saw them pull three wires don't trust that, and even if they did, confirm that ground wire actually go to a ground spike. Don't trust anything until you follow the wiring yourself.

Right - Thailand doesn't to seem to take earthing electrical appliances seriously, Indeed many people who install electrical equipment seem oblivious about what the earth wire is for. When my shower was installed, for example, the 'technician' simply attached the earth wire to a nail that he had hammered into a nearby concrete wall.

In addition to the checks you outline in your above post - ensuring that the earth wire is indeed connected to an earth spike or metal water pipe - an earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB) is a must. They detect minute leakages to earth (such as if you touch a live surface of a malfunctioning oven) and then instantly disconnect the supply before you get electrocuted.

Edited by dbrenn