PM Prayut: Sentencing rapists to death not sustainable solution

webfact

PM: Sentencing rapists to death not sustainable solution

BANGKOK, 5 July 2016 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed disagreement with the call for death penalty for rapists while the Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister said the matter is up to the legislative body’s consideration.

Following the emergence of public calls for amendments to the Criminal Code in order to subject those guilty of rape to death penalty, Prime Minister Prayut has come out to say he is not supportive of the idea. He explained that such a punishment method has been repealed in many countries due to its ineffectiveness in promoting respect for the law and in solving the problem at hand in a sustainable fashion.

The premier also cautioned that a death penalty law against rapists could also lead to power abuse and legal exploitation. Instead, he preferred to see wrongdoers be exposed to social pressure as way of discouraging them from committing the crime again.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan reserved his comment on the issue. He pointed out that public opinions and legal advice from experts on the matter will need to be taken into account while the final decision will be made by the National Legislative Assembly.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-05 footer_n.gif

could also lead to power abuse and legal exploitation. Instead, he preferred to see wrongdoers be exposed to social pressure as way of discouraging them from committing the crime again.

And lese majeste doesn't?

It sets a bad precedent in any society. Let them rot in jail.

In a country like Thailand with no real laws or justice system, it would be too much of a risk. Look at the rich lady who simply accused her staff of stealing and had them sent to prison.

This is has nothing to do with sustainability, the law is the law, and if Thai law prescribe death for such offence

so it shall be, beside, keeping a man in jail for the rest of his life, would that be sustainable enough for the PM?

or maybe we should decriminalize murders as the health minister want to Yabba dealers?.....

Rape victims don't have a choice, drug users do (yes they so damnit, originally anyway)...rapists get 2 years and drug dealers get life/death sentences. :unsure:

One could surmise that a country's penal code is reflection of its moral code i.e. rape isn't considered such a big deal here :blink:

In a country like Thailand with no real laws or justice system, it would be too much of a risk. Look at the rich lady who simply accused her staff of stealing and had them sent to prison.

quite right, even in the west the courts sometimes get it wrong, let alone the thai system.

a case such as dehli bus gang rape/murder, that is a death penalty case too me.

the recent one in the thai news, rape/murder, if there is no doubt in his guilt, death penalty.

the ****'* actions seem to show an escalation in his crimes, he most likely will probably be a threat to women forever, if not the death penalty, indefinite sentance should be the only result.

I like the idea. Reduces the likelihood of repeat offenders to zero, acts as a strong deterrent, and, especially here in Thailand, will have a significant impact on population control! whistling.gif

There is ample proof in the world the death penalty is not a deterrent on crime.

To the contrary, it tends to amplify the seriousness of any crime.

Also, the death penalty is impossible to repair in cases of judicial mistakes.

In those cases it is not a death penalty but a state authorised murder.

And judicial mistakes are on the rise.

It is thought that 7-10% of the people getting death penalties are innocent.

"Due to its ineffectiveness in not promoting respect for the law"

Respect for the law ???. What country does he live in... La La Land?

Incarceration for first offense.... Castration for second offense (preferably de-nutting with a blunt knife)

Edited by farcanell

I know for sure that the Death Sentence is the Right one,,,,Wait till one of his family Girls /Wifes getting raped, ( i hope Not ),,,Than he will change his Tune, I have had my daughter interfered with ,,,I can tell you now even after 35 years,,, if I could find him He would be Garden Compost,,(blood & bone) angry.gif mfr_closed1.gif

Peculiar that the statement and decision comes from this man, the same man that said something like .. pretty girls should not wear bikinis to avoid being raped / murdered .... after the infamous Koh Tao murders. It appears that he may share some sympathy with rapists rather than the victims. What a guy to run a country!

Then the question becomes, what is preventing Thailand from having laws against rape? Could it be that men do the raping and the women are simply victims? Could it be that in the not too distant past rape was a prerogative of males and carried out with impunity?

The PM is living in a dream world; what social pressure is he talking about, exactly?

Very few rapes here are prosecuted or reported. It is usually blamed on what the female "said" or was wearing. They can kill people from other counties with little evidence. Sad, but true. I would say it depends on the situation of the rape. If it is brutal, you kill someone inside, but they have to live with it...

Of course he is right. Not sustainable he probably means that those convicted and hanged rapists will have no chance to commit/sustain another offence. Too bad Thai police want sustainable rape. Sustainable rate of rape? Perhaps he has something on his mind nobody suspect and imagine? After all he is a big boss.