PM Prayut: Sentencing rapists to death not sustainable solution

webfact

I like the idea. Reduces the likelihood of repeat offenders to zero, acts as a strong deterrent, and, especially here in Thailand, will have a significant impact on population control! whistling.gif

There is ample proof in the world the death penalty is not a deterrent on crime.

To the contrary, it tends to amplify the seriousness of any crime.

Also, the death penalty is impossible to repair in cases of judicial mistakes.

In those cases it is not a death penalty but a state authorised murder.

And judicial mistakes are on the rise.

It is thought that 7-10% of the people getting death penalties are innocent.

I understand but 90-93% are guilty. But checks must be put in to protect the innocent. But such a sentence means no reoffending possible. And for some victims and families closure not possible while an offender is in Prison

I like the idea. Reduces the likelihood of repeat offenders to zero, acts as a strong deterrent, and, especially here in Thailand, will have a significant impact on population control! whistling.gif

There is ample proof in the world the death penalty is not a deterrent on crime.

To the contrary, it tends to amplify the seriousness of any crime.

Also, the death penalty is impossible to repair in cases of judicial mistakes.

In those cases it is not a death penalty but a state authorised murder.

And judicial mistakes are on the rise.

It is thought that 7-10% of the people getting death penalties are innocent.

You make a valid point, especially in societies where a woman can easily cry Rape and have a person arrested based only on her word. I have heard of many cases such as that.

I do question you statistic though as 7-10% seems extremely high to me. More like 7-10% of accused rapists get off as they can't obtain unreasonable doubt or just don't have enough proof for a conviction. In a society where 90% of the rapes are never reported. .

It sets a bad precedent in any society. Let them rot in jail.

In a country like Thailand with no real laws or justice system, it would be too much of a risk. Look at the rich lady who simply accused her staff of stealing and had them sent to prison.

Yeah, Just like Hillary Clinton.

If a man rapes a women then the punishment should be that the man is forced to work as a male prostitute in boys town, Pattaya for a year. Job description includes oral, taking, big, fat, old, German men. That should deter anyone from commiting rape. In cases of gang rape. A vice verser on the participents in the form of a gay bukkake. Filmed any distributed throughout there home town or village on dvd.

Prayut is right in a way. This country's legal n justice system is a joke. how many scapegoats are in the prison right now?

unless they can really control corruption and make sure the police does their job honestly without prejudice then finally a just punishment/sentence can be passed and meted out