Air Con Recommendations

stament

Had a broken down Daikin in the house in BKK. Aircon guy we use for a while, who recommended strongly against Samsung, LG and Haier, offered to reinstall a brand new 18kBTU "Central Air" for 20kTHB. Did so and so far no complaints. Haven't seen it myself yet though. Supposedly they use Mitsubishi parts, but there is not much information to be found online. For that price incl. installation dirt cheap and beats the Korean ones.

Had a broken down Daikin in the house in BKK. Aircon guy we use for a while, who recommended strongly against Samsung, LG and Haier, offered to reinstall a brand new 18kBTU "Central Air" for 20kTHB. Did so and so far no complaints. Haven't seen it myself yet though. Supposedly they use Mitsubishi parts, but there is not much information to be found online. For that price incl. installation dirt cheap and beats the Korean ones.

Wow now there's a thread on its own " diffrence in price for same product throughout Thailand. I have exactly the same here in KK installation included 18k Btu as yours 14500 wow

you are using twice the energy+ of a 16 EER inverter...but there are definitely some pros to using that type of unit. When I feel one working ice cold at 7-11, I often look up and check the brand. Often, it is a Carrier, but I've also seen a lot of Star Air, that were working extremely well. I think that is mostly a commercial brand, but likely easy to repair and cheap parts. The techs often tout the ones that are easiest to repair, which is a big factor, but doesn't give the whole picture. Trane may be the best in the US, but it's the most expensive, and a bit over engineered. The techs just don't have a lot of experience fixing them, and they can't just pull parts off their truck....and the manufacturers are hogging the profits on repairs with the proprietary circuit boards.

Wow now there's a thread on its own " diffrence in price for same product throughout Thailand. I have exactly the same here in KK installation included 18k Btu as yours 14500 wow

Their cost price before discount is in the lower 20k range without installation for a new unit. 14.5k is a fantastic deal if it was really a 18kBTU new unit. But what would be more interesting if they really use Mitsubishi parts.

Their cost price before discount is in the lower 20k range without installation for a new unit. 14.5k is a fantastic deal if it was really a 18kBTU new unit. But what would be more interesting if they really use Mitsubishi parts.

Yes 18k BTU in front room dakin a 11BTU in both bedrooms one dakin one Lg. Dakin 11k BTU 9500bht fitted and LG 9000bht fitted all done by same family firm. I did ask why they are so much more expensive in shops. He just said cheaper to buy direct forget shops. And just ordered another 11k BTU for shop dakin slightly higher now 10500 fitted. Edited by Deepinthailand

I have recently got a Daikin Inverter unit and am happy with it, I was replacing an old Samsung Unit that had failed.

I was told Daikin and Mitsubishi were the best makes.... but I don't really like to trust salesmen, they have their own addenda and telling the truth may not be on it. What swung me was the proximity of a Daikin Service centre. I expect the Samsung one to be busy fixing phones and TVs.

Edited by jacko45k

• 5 months later...

Nearly 10 years without using anything but a fan, but last year was a warning. Looking through calculator sites - most only ask generalities as to climate rather than asking how many degrees C (or ºF) the unit will be asked to manage. This site calculates on volume and maximum expected temperature differential. What a person expects as a living area temperature varies widely. This site allows me to scale my purchase to what I want, not the cooler temps in many offices or stores.
BTU Calculator based on size and the temperature

Other sites do recommend up-scaling the estimate by 10%  for a room facing south west and down-scaling if facing north east or well shaded.

43 minutes ago, RPCVguy said:

Glad to read this - mine will be installed tomorrow - 12K BTU

Personally I wouldn't touch another Samsung Aircon as I have had two in my apartment now and neither of them have performed particularly well, with the newest one being just 2.5 years old and already it's very average to say the least (serviced every six months or so and even now the inside of the unit looks as if it's about 10 years old).

I like my nighttime temperature to be around 24°, however this 12,400 Btu unit struggles to achieve and maintain this, even in my studio type apartment which measures around 38 m². The unit faces north with one ranch slider window which is coated in a window film to keep out the sun/heat.

At the moment there are a couple of specials on in a dealer near me and I have to say that the Carrier 15,500 Btu inverter priced at 23,500 baht fitted seems to be good value, and at the same time Mitsubishi have a special on with their 14,400 Btu inverter priced at 27,500 baht fitted.

Does anyone have any feedback on these two units?

On 07/07/2016 at 8:47 AM, xylophone said:

Had a poor experience with two Samsung aircons and have been looking around. Like Mitsi and Daikin as well as Hitachi and have noticed that Carrier have a new inverter model on the market, good intro price too...........anyone had any experience with these?

If you are looking at Carrier then look at Toshiba branded air cons.  I have 3 and they are all stamped Toshiba-Carrier, 5 years old and no problems so far.  They are not inverter as they cost considerably more with an identical power consumption.  I have concrete plinths outside the upstairs bedrooms and dont have a noise problem.  If you have metal frames an inverter model maybe beneficial to keep the noise down when the comoressor kicks in. 

On 10 December 2016 at 4:55 PM, xylophone said:

Personally I wouldn't touch another Samsung Aircon as I have had two in my apartment now and neither of them have performed particularly well, with the newest one being just 2.5 years old and already it's very average to say the least (serviced every six months or so and even now the inside of the unit looks as if it's about 10 years old).

I like my nighttime temperature to be around 24°, however this 12,400 Btu unit struggles to achieve and maintain this, even in my studio type apartment which measures around 38 m². The unit faces north with one ranch slider window which is coated in a window film to keep out the sun/heat.

At the moment there are a couple of specials on in a dealer near me and I have to say that the Carrier 15,500 Btu inverter priced at 23,500 baht fitted seems to be good value, and at the same time Mitsubishi have a special on with their 14,400 Btu inverter priced at 27,500 baht fitted.

Does anyone have any feedback on these two units?

Based on my very limited experience I think the issue. could be that the unit is too weak for the size of the room.

On 10 December 2016 at 3:58 PM, RPCVguy said:

Glad to read this - mine will be installed tomorrow - 12K BTU

Where did you buy it from out of interest and how much was it? I need to get one for a 30sq m room although that size will clearly be insufficient for me.

7 hours ago, stament said:

Where did you buy it from out of interest and how much was it? I need to get one for a 30sq m room although that size will clearly be insufficient for me.

I'm in a small town (though far bigger than when I moved here in 2007)
I looked at what the two local shops offered, asked installation questions - and met the installer before making an offer at either store. Best to work with what the local people KNOW how to work with - has been my mantra all along. So I bought from the local installer directly, got a discount instead of the "gift" options one of the 2 stores offered. Looking at his work, watching him step by step, I was very pleased with the installation.... for 21K THB installed.
Below is how I shared it with friends in another post.
InstallationOfAirConditioner.jpg

Unlike many installations I have seen, he saw and connected to the ground wiring we have in our home.

Edited by RPCVguy

On 7/6/2016 at 8:23 PM, GOLDBUGGY said:

I have had 2 Mitsubishi AC Units for years now and never and problems. Quiet to. But I think I also bought them as I got the best price for them and they were cheap to start with. Cheap compared to the other that is.

We have a Panasonic and two Samsungs. The Samsungs have had all kinds of problems: creaking louvers, leaks caused by clogged drainage tubes and busted thermostats. The Panasonic has never once given us a single problem in 8 years. 

I've owned many Panasonic products and can't think of a single one that's ever been a disappointment. 

3 hours ago, HeyNow said:

The Samsungs have had all kinds of problems: creaking louvers, leaks caused by clogged drainage tubes

Same here with two Samsung units and now I get a rhythmic "whooshing noise" which can be annoying in the night (and yes, filters et al cleaned).........I have a suspicion that this is because the drain pipe is clogged (yet again) and the fan 'skims" of the top layer of water residing in the thing.

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Same here with two Samsung units and now I get a rhythmic "whooshing noise" which can be annoying in the night (and yes, filters et al cleaned).........I have a suspicion that this is because the drain pipe is clogged (yet again) and the fan 'skims" of the top layer of water residing in the thing.

Clean the drain  pipe with a piece of wire, easy to do.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Clean the drain  pipe with a piece of wire, easy to do.

Sure but have to take the front off and then flush it out........not something I should have to do every two months or so.

Then of course I've had to insert a plastic washer at the end of the vanes because of the squeaking/creaking noise. After after 2.5 yrs the outside unit has rust and drips water. Then there's.......

• 7 months later...
On 7/7/2016 at 4:09 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Your unit is too small or has a leak....now your compressor is nearly shot. 12K is enough for a good size bedroom but not a studio. 17K is a bit too much for my studio, but If I was west facing and/or top floor; it would barely be enough on the hottest days. Also, most don't know how to set the differential on their thermostats...some are .5-1.5..others are 1-3...the higher will prevent short cycling, but there can be a loss of comfort. The most obvious problem is if they don't turn on, next would be blowing warm air, and the next would be the compressor running all the time....often the most serious. You can "top off the gas," but you obviously have a leak (if it is low), and the compressor has already been damaged.

KKK,

The air con in the condo I live in has just died - compressor. I I have a question about the right BTU rating to choose.

The condo is about 38 sqm and is 3.85 m x 9. 86 m with a separate, enclosed toilet. It is on the 12th floor of a 14 floor building and is not on an end. The windows are north facing so I don't get much direct sun even in the hot season. I have tried 5 or 6 of the online BTU calculators and they generally agree that after adjustments for things like sunny side, etc. a BTU rating of about 12000-14,000. In talking to repairmen and salesmen, they generally are talking about 18,000. Quite a nice price jump goes along with the move from 14,000 to 18,000 BTU especially in the Daiken and Mitsu inverter models I am interested in. 

So can I get your thoughts on BTU ratings? Any suggestions appreciated.

David

58 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

KKK,

The air con in the condo I live in has just died - compressor. I I have a question about the right BTU rating to choose.

The condo is about 38 sqm and is 3.85 m x 9. 86 m with a separate, enclosed toilet. It is on the 12th floor of a 14 floor building and is not on an end. The windows are north facing so I don't get much direct sun even in the hot season. I have tried 5 or 6 of the online BTU calculators and they generally agree that after adjustments for things like sunny side, etc. a BTU rating of about 12000-14,000. In talking to repairmen and salesmen, they generally are talking about 18,000. Quite a nice price jump goes along with the move from 14,000 to 18,000 BTU especially in the Daiken and Mitsu inverter models I am interested in. 

So can I get your thoughts on BTU ratings? Any suggestions appreciated.

David

Installed a Mitsubishi Mr Slim Inverter 14000 btus for my apt which is about 42 sq m..........cost on special was around 23,000 baht and it is great.

I set it on 23 degrees at night and I sleep well. During the day I put it on dehumidify for a few hours if it is hot.

Looked around and it was the best buy esp as Mitsi has a good reputation. Had 2 Samsungs and didn't rate them.

18k inverter........the outside part is much heavier duty....notice the weight difference.  If you go smaller, you won't be able to turn it off on the hottest days, because you will have to run the heck out of it to catch up.  This year was mild, 2016 was a beast.  You should get what will work on the hottest days, not the average days.....same with the hot water heaters and the coldest days..3500 watts only works most of the time.  Also, don't let a technician near it with a pressure washer and/or chemicals...it will score the aluminum and ruin the electrolytic connection between the copper tubes and the aluminum coil.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:42 PM, Deepinthailand said:

We have both daikin and LG both exellent none are inverter type to many power cuts here for inverters. Both very very quite but dakin the quietest of them. Shops will tell you anything so you buy the ones they recommend as they will get commission. Go for a good family firm where are you based???? Ask locals where they bought there's.

@Deepinthailand

I'm curious about what the problem would be having inverters when there are power cuts. Is it a technical issue? We have a few here but not many. 

I did a web search and didn't really find any information on problems.

Thanks

David

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

@Deepinthailand

I'm curious about what the problem would be having inverters when there are power cuts. Is it a technical issue? We have a few here but not many. 

I did a web search and didn't really find any information on problems.

Thanks

David

I did a bit of research on the same thing and it appears that in the early days of inverters there were a few problems because there is quite a bit of circuitry (printed circuit boards etc) to help with the variable frequency used to control the speed of the compressor and these seemed to be suspect in power outages/surges.

Not so in the newer models apparently and I have experienced several outages and power fluctuations but the inverter aircon is still working well (lets hope that this is not the "kiss of death" for it!).

On 08/11/2017 at 8:29 PM, xylophone said:

Installed a Mitsubishi Mr Slim Inverter 14000 btus for my apt which is about 42 sq m..........cost on special was around 23,000 baht and it is great.

I set it on 23 degrees at night and I sleep well. During the day I put it on dehumidify for a few hours if it is hot.

Looked around and it was the best buy esp as Mitsi has a good reputation. Had 2 Samsungs and didn't rate them.

There are numerous calculators to guide you as to what size air con.  http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html 

Just one of many.  Just tried this one and if you have a 3m ceiling and desire 25c then you will needa 24k BTU, according to this.

Just an update a a thank you to@KhonKaenKowboy for his input.

Ended up with a Daikin 18000 BTU inverter. Bought from Home Pro in Chiang Mai. The posted price was 35,400 baht but after all the discounts and promotions it came to just at 24,000 baht. That included delivery, parts and labor for installation, and unistalling and hauling off the old unit.

After having the noisy old Carrier unit, the quietness of the new unit is taking a bit of getting used to. My computer is about 6 meters away from the inside unit and if it were not for the small green light being visible I would not know it was on. And just in case that is not quiet enough for you, it actually has a quiet mode. [emoji16]

The 3 guys that came did an excellent and very professional job. They took about 3 hours total. They really paid attention to details. Even as they were leaving they were above average for Thailand. As they were taking the old unit down to the elevator, some of the rust colored water leaked out on the floor just in front of the elevator. Wasn't a lot and from my experience here most would have just left it for housekeeping. These guys took the time to clean it up. Overall great experience.

David