Chronic back pain from hard mattress

Tib6005

Hello all

I moved here last week and the bed I'm sleeping on is harder than anything I've slept on in previous visits, resulting in the worst chronic back pain. I'm not a pill taker, but the severity of the pain has left me with no choice, other than to reluctantly resort to medicinal pain relief. I have asked the owner of my temporary accommodation if there is anything he can do, he is looking into it.

To add to the problem, every long term rental I've viewed has similarly-hard beds. Can anyone recommend where I could buy good mattress topers, which I could fold in half to perhaps ease things in the short term, and somewhere which sells softer mattresses which I could consider for a long term rental when I find the right place. Also, what should I expect to pay for these items, please?

Thank you so much,

Imelda

If you are handy to Bangkok, IKEA has a large variety of mattress toppers. I understand IKEA has recently opened an order center in Phuket.

(Edit) My apologies, I just noticed the OP was in the Chang Mai forum.

Edited by dddave

i bought 3 toppers at HomePro for about 1K baht each. Topper was strong outer vinyl and dense foam inside, i think. Rolled up and easily portable but about 12-15 kilos each. Two toppers stacked made a fair bed.

Mam from www.latexinnovations.com has sold to hundreds of people all across Thailand. She is based in CM and can meet you to show you the product. Just do a search on the forum for Latex Innovations and you will find many topics about her product. She offers a 5cm and 7.5cm topper, as well as 10cm and 15cm thick mattresses.

Disclaimer-Mam is my lovely wife so I am biased towards her and her product. But the fact remains she sells really really comfy toppers.

Best....

Hello there,

Many thanks for your information.

Kind regards.

Imelda

I did some looking around in Bangkok this week, for the same reason, a rock hard mattress as hard as sleeping on a door. I found one place with 2in topper at Bht1500 and 4in at Bht2500. Another had 4in at same price. All of these are strapped to the mattress corners, have to be turned around, then upside down etc. every 4 weeks. What a pain. They are sold in a folded flat pack and can't be bent over. Then I found a budget bedding supplier at Nonthaburi, 4in rolled in a zipped bag, with 2 pillows also stuffed in the middle, with carry handles. A zip off cover, for washing, and an inner cover for the mattress. 5ft x 6.5ft at Bht1250. Tried it last night, and a beautiful sleep. Go for 4in, 2in would do nothing for extra comfort. Weight probably around 7kg. And you do get what you pay for. Too cheap also means maybe you'll be disappointed with little benefit.

"I moved here last week and the bed I'm sleeping on is harder than anything I've slept on in previous visits, resulting in the worst chronic back pain"

I would hardly call one week chronic back pain and you could buy yourself a mattress topper. of various thicknesses, that will probably help you.

To those of you who have offered positive, encouraging advice, thank you so very much.

For clarity, I have no desire to get hooked on drugs, I had neuro surgery 18 months ago and until the surgery, I was in chronic pain, (so I do have experience, and know the difference between chronic, and back ache). I have been medication-free for over 15 months, taking medication is an absolute last resort for me.

Kind regards,

Imelda

Home Pro, Big C, Lotus, any latex store around town. You can probably also get one on Lazada's website.

Do yourself a favor and get a big yoga ball and stretch out on it every day. Worked wonders for me.

I solve this problem by placing a pillow in the small of my back...may take a little getting use to at first...but solved my problem with back-pain nicely...good luck...

To those of you who have offered positive, encouraging advice, thank you so very much.

For clarity, I have no desire to get hooked on drugs, I had neuro surgery 18 months ago and until the surgery, I was in chronic pain, (so I do have experience, and know the difference between chronic, and back ache). I have been medication-free for over 15 months, taking medication is an absolute last resort for me.

Kind regards,

Imelda

The comment about drugs was a troll which I am surprised has not been removed.

Home Pro, Big C, Lotus, any latex store around town. You can probably also get one on Lazada's website.

Do yourself a favor and get a big yoga ball and stretch out on it every day. Worked wonders for me.

I solve this problem by placing a pillow in the small of my back...may take a little getting use to at first...but solved my problem with back-pain nicely...good luck...

Another approach is to fix your body with stretching, exercise, maybe yoga.

Thank you for your advice. I've been trying the pillow technique, without success so far, but it's early days. The Yoga Ball and Yoga classes are definitely on my "to do list." Any advice on the good yoga classes in/around town ? Homepro for a yoga ball ?

Hello, Tib6005,

It's true that it is better to sleep on a harsh mattress, but those of Thailand, is concrete. Impossible to sleep.

In the meantime if do you have any comforters, blankets, put them on your mattress, that's what I did, because I did not was using and it's very effective.

This is a suggestion as another. coffee1.gif

i had back pain here in Thailand for years spent a fortune on a mattress until i realized it was never the mattress. my back pain was caused by walking around my apartment in bare feet the hard concrete tile floors were the cause of my back pain.now i wear croc rubber shoes at home as slippers, back pain gone.

Edited by catman20

Usually a hard mattress will not cause back pain; too soft a mattress will. The reason is that as you relax in sleep, the hard mattress gives you support, while the soft mattress doesn't. But it seems to work differently for some people!

If I were to get back pain, apparently from sleeping on a hard mattress, I should look elsewhere for the cause.

Hello all,

A few days ago I went to Homepro and bought a mattress topper for 999B, as you advised. I've used it for 3 nights now, the level of pain has lessened and I'm enjoying lengthier periods of sleep. Yoga is next on my agenda.

Thank you so much,

Imelda

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this has been covered.

Hard mattress; often, the hard side is the up side. Turn the mattress upside down and the bottom will often be softer. Done this many times myself.

However, opiates may also make a hard bed softer.............

Maybe this has been covered.

Hard mattress; often, the hard side is the up side. Turn the mattress upside down and the bottom will often be softer. Done this many times myself.

However, opiates may also make a hard bed softer.............

Hello there,

This hasn't been mentioned until now (turning the mattress). I've just moved and this bed is even worse than the last, so I'm going to take your advice and turn the mattress now, in the hope of a decent night's sleep.

I'll pass on the opiates........

Thank you for the "turning" tip, though smile.png

Imelda