Why Did My Mother-in-Law Have to Die?

No, no, Nancy…sharing this recount of my Mother-in-Law’s sad passing, is not about libel…I have not named either the doctor or the hospital.

Your earlier assessment was much more correct.

As were the sentiments and advice of the great majority of our ThaiVisa colleagues.

I would particularly commend both ‘Jadee’ and ’Steven L’.

The post WAS about us moving on from this sad and sorry saga.

IT was also about asking if people thought our concerns were justified.

As ’Steven L’ has pointed out, for stroke victims, their prognosis depends largely on proper early intervention and treatment.

We questioned whether our mum was provided with sufficient care and attention.

I turned to the ThaiVisa Forum for some words of support, knowing that most members are quite knowledgeable, and have a wealth of experience.

I am very grateful to the caring folk who have replied, yourself included Nancy.

No, no, Nancy…sharing this recount of my Mother-in-Law’s sad passing, is not about libel…I have not named either the doctor or the hospital.

Your earlier assessment was much more correct.

As were the sentiments and advice of the great majority of our ThaiVisa colleagues.

I would particularly commend both ‘Jadee’ and ’Steven L’.

The post WAS about us moving on from this sad and sorry saga.

IT was also about asking if people thought our concerns were justified.

As ’Steven L’ has pointed out, for stroke victims, their prognosis depends largely on proper early intervention and treatment.

We questioned whether our mum was provided with sufficient care and attention.

I turned to the ThaiVisa Forum for some words of support, knowing that most members are quite knowledgeable, and have a wealth of experience.

I am very grateful to the caring folk who have replied, yourself included Nancy.

Thanks, but the stroke advice was not mine.

I think there must be some miscommunication what you have posted and what had happened.

The OP says the MRI showed "acute lacunar infarcts" then says another physician says a bunch of things should have been done. Lacunar infarcts are small (o.2-15 mm) infarcts that come from blockage of very specific small blood vessels. There is currently no good treatment for these. This quote come from UptoDate.com ( a continuously updated peer reviewed reference used over 1 millions physicians in 180 countries and by almost 90% of United States Academic Medical Centers:"There is no treatment proven to be beneficial specifically for lacunar infarction as opposed to ischemic stroke in general. Most clinical trials investigating stroke treatment and prevention have failed to adequately separate the lacunar infarct subpopulation."

I don't post this to defend the physicians because I think really there are many things that I don't know about this case. But, It seems you are very angry, perhaps knowing the above might lessen your anger.

Firstly ’Sticky’, let’s sort one thing out.

Your post is clearly aimed solely at defending the doctor’s initial consult.

The very fact that you claim otherwise should make all readers highly suspicious of your motivation.

It seems very strange that you would invest time in seeking information on the Internet that infers there is “no good treatment” for Lacunar Stroke.

Your post certainly seems somewhat biased.

Have you read my Mother-in-Law’s full MRI Scan Report? NO.

Have you read her full Blood Test Report? NO.

Are you a qualified and experienced Medical Practician? Hmm?

The Australian Physician who reviewed ALL of the reports, said that we have every right to be angry…”very angry”.

The fact is, my Mother-in-Law was sent home from the Hospital consult not even knowing that she had suffered a stroke…as detailed in the MRI Report.

The Hospital Doctor knew that, BUT he chose not to let his patient know.

Does that seem reasonable?

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1466750660745.jpg

Sorry for your loss.....

Even in the US the 6th leading cause of death.....Much worse if you factor in Hospital Infections & RX mistakes that bump it another 52,000 deaths moving it to 4th place.....

Probably worse in socialized medicine nations.....

Might be better/worse/same here......

Off topic, so apologies.

It is astounding to me that obesity is such a huge killer in the US, one of the fattest nations on the planet, yet they spend a fraction of what is spent on drug enforcement on stopping Americans becoming grossly fat, despite drug deaths being a tiny amount in comparison to the fat people dying because they are gluttons and eat far too much bad food.

With all the recent publicity about the riots in the US I have been boggled to see how many obese police there are. It's a wonder they can get into their cars, let alone run down an escaping criminal. Perhaps that is why some just shoot suspects.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

A reply in general.

As one that has had a wife in the local private hospital more than a few times, and myself being a patient twice, I have to say that anyone expecting care, compassion and all that other stuff western people expect after watching Dr Kildare etc on tv, had better go back home.

BTW even back home when I was nursing in the local public hospital, we were too busy ( too many patients and not enough staff ) to be offering much care and compassion while merely trying to do what we had to do to keep the patients alive.

If people want soothing words and hand holding, be prepared to pay large and go somewhere like Bumrungrad Hospital in Bkk.

Your post is clearly aimed solely at defending the doctor’s initial consult.

The very fact that you claim otherwise should make all readers highly suspicious of your motivation.

It seems very strange that you would invest time in seeking information on the Internet that infers there is “no good treatment” for Lacunar Stroke.

Your post certainly seems somewhat biased.

The Australian Physician who reviewed ALL of the reports, said that we have every right to be angry…”very angry”.

The fact is, my Mother-in-Law was sent home from the Hospital consult not even knowing that she had suffered a stroke…as detailed in the MRI Report.

The Hospital Doctor knew that, BUT he chose not to let his patient know.

Does that seem reasonable?

You seem to be expecting ( Australian ) western standards in a Thai hospital. It's not going to happen, at least till all the present senior Drs retire.

As I said in my first reply I can't offer much sympathy, but jumping up and down, getting angry and complaining about it isn't going to change a thing. Sorry, but either spend what is left of your money in an attempt to gain compensation with a lawyer, or accept it and move on.

In Thailand, "reasonable" ( as you apparently mean it ) doesn't apply.

Does your Australian Dr know/ understand anything about Thailand? If not, he should keep his personal opinions to himself, and stick to the facts.

jaydouble Iam sorry for your loss.

I had a stroke last friday, admitted myself to BPH and was immediately sent for an MRI. the large white solid patch was very clear to see and was imediately put into icu.

sounds to me your mil's doctor is incompetent.

I said in my post that I did not want to defend the treating doctors "because I think really there are many things that I don't know about this case"

And, I did not invest time to up the information because I am a physician. But I know if I did not quote an authoritative source, people would find it hard to accept information that goes against what they believe.

But, perhaps my post came out biased (and I think you are right that I am biased) so I am sorry. So, if it helps, i will say it directly. I don't know this case and it does not look look the treating doctors did a good job.

Edited by stickyrice

Thank you Don for your condolences…very much appreciated.

AND best wishes to you sir, for a full and speedy recovery yourself…it sounds like you’re in good hands.

AND Don, I like your summation of my poor MIL’s case.

Good luck.

Jay -- in your OP you mentioned that the original doctor who saw your MIL prescribed several medications after seeing the MRI results and sent her home. What were those medications? Knowing those may indeed give some insight to medical professionals like Sheryl as to whether his actions were at all justified.

Also, did you MIL have a history of high blood pressure? Was she on medication? Did she even know what her blood pressure was before the initial hospitalization?