Me first! Chinese tourists fight at 7-Eleven in battle for Thai souvenirs

webfact

Chinese tourist are proberly the most rudest and pushy people wherever you meet them and not just here.

I notice they try to intimidate , when they need to walk around you, you.re supposed to walk around them, I just keep walking, they move , I know on the HK MTR if a whitey gets on and they can they will move to another carriage, mainlanders hate whities.
Mainlanders don't really hate white people.

They all have MKS.

Middle Kingdom Syndrome.

As such they think, as a race, to stand between heaven and earth.

All other non chinese are barbarians, gwailoo.

On the other hand chinese find white people are uncouth, unrefined, boorish, whatever.

They are a superior race, is what they think.

Me?

I think chinese are &$#%&5$&3........

Odd.. It would seem odd for them to think they are superior to me when they have to stand on a stool to look me in the eye (I'm on average 1 foot taller than most Asian men).

Also, the behavior I have seen from Chinese people in US/Canada does not jive with this.

Perhaps the ones that make it to US/Canada are more Hong Kong than Mainland and they have different customs/behaviours?

Mainland chinese are not the same as HK chinese, I thought HK are Cantonese mostly.

And of course, expat chinese change.

But they still think they are civilised and you are not.

China seems to be a big country with a lot of people in it.

And with different customs, dialects & accents, different religions and so on.

But one thing they have in common: squeeze.

In trade, in dealing with officials, in all ways of life.

The books of James Clavell situated in HK are a very good read but also give a good descriptive insight into and of China and Chinese also in other countries.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall that when mass tourism started up in the UK in the fifties and sixties the Spanish had much the same reaction to marauding Brits that the Thais now reportedly have of the mainland Chinese.

...I used to have a benevolent view of Chinese while living in USA. Last season and enjoying a vacation in Thailand. I'm at Big C Extra, second floor at DTAC, getting my phone tweaked. There's about 5 falangs and kon Tai all in line--chit chatting in Tinglish.

Suddenly, out of nowhere are 6 garrulous Chinese males---ALL SMOKING, cursing and pushing!

They get to the head and place about 10 iPhones on the glass counter and THROW about 10,000b at the startled Tai Dtac clerks.

They demand their phones get worked on NOW---screw anyone else in queque. Then their spitting on the floor commenced. I split. I knew this was not my fight.

When I returned an hour later, the DTAC staff were more composed. They related to one another that this crap occurs regularly.

Falangs tourists will avoid and then stay in their homelands in future years.

Chinese are uncouth and revel in their pig-like behviour.

Remember , they are mostly poor Chinese working in factories 12 hours daily . Then they are allowed to travel outside China for the first time of their life . They don't know better , in China this is the norm .

They all have MKS.

Middle Kingdom Syndrome.

On the other hand chinese find white people are uncouth, unrefined, boorish, whatever.

Wouldn't most of this apply to Thais too ?

Most Chinese tourists I see, in many different countries, are very well-behaved. Some uppity hiso decided to post the clip without any context. Clearly he/she doesn't work in hospitality because without the Chinese market ( notwithstanding the comments in another post above about the return) there would be mass unemployment in the sector. They might not be high margin visitors but they keep a lot of businesses afloat.

I disagree with your first statement, but I recognize that maybe you have a different perspective.

About the hospitality sector however, I think it's the reverse. It has boomed out of control trying to capitalize on the ever-increasing numbers of chinese tourists. Niow every second house in Chiang Mai's old city, for example, is a guesthouse with scooter rental and laundry and coffee shop and adventure tours and handicraft. Yes they keep afloat an anomalous number of businesses.

Most Chinese tourists I see, in many different countries, are very well-behaved. Some uppity hiso decided to post the clip without any context. Clearly he/she doesn't work in hospitality because without the Chinese market ( notwithstanding the comments in another post above about the return) there would be mass unemployment in the sector. They might not be high margin visitors but they keep a lot of businesses afloat.

I respect your opinion but does that excuse all their weird behavior?

Because farang tourists have historically been gentle, peaceful visitors respectful of the country's customs, values and culture?

Hilarious to hear one bunch of foreigners complain about the behaviour of another.

This pair are an embarrassment to humanity. Some of the most eye popping moments in my time here has been in witnessing how the average Chinese tourist acts. 1.35B and they're getting monied up! Can I have my life again in the Middle Ages, please? I may understand them better.

I respect your opinion but does that excuse all their weird behavior?

The problem with the complaining posts in this thread isn't that there is not some degree of truth to the descriptions of bad behavior. The problem is that it is tied to the Chinese as if it is somehow inextricably and uniquely linked to their identity as Chinese. That is not objectively true, as anyone who has observed other travellers behaving badly can attest to.

I have met many polite and thoughtful Chinese around the world. Boorish behavior may be justly condemned, but let's not condemn an entire very diverse nation of 1.3 billion based on the behavior of some. And let's look in our own backyard-- many of us hail from countries whose citizens' behavior and treatment of other nationalities has at times left much to be desired.

As noted above, the country is coming out of a relatively long period of cultural isolation. Give them time, and exposure to other people and places, and we hopefully won't be having this conversation in a few decades.

Edited by DeepInTheForest

I was in a store called Something Aussie in Melbourne, Australia, it's a store that sells Aussie souvenirs placenta creams. There were about 60 odd chinese tourists inside and it was like a feeding frenzy as they grabbed and fought over souvenirs. I was trying to restrain my laughter and thought you numnuts turn the souvenirs over and read the made in China label

graciousness where art thou

the story is not totally clear.were they arguing

over the items like who ought to be able to buy first or

who should be able to pay first.

often the causation factors are trivial but in the absence

of timely intervention, can result in disastrous consequences.

hope eventually everyone got what they wanted.

I was in a store called Something Aussie in Melbourne, Australia, it's a store that sells Aussie souvenirs placenta creams. There were about 60 odd chinese tourists inside and it was like a feeding frenzy as they grabbed and fought over souvenirs. I was trying to restrain my laughter and thought you numnuts turn the souvenirs over and read the made in China label

hi. the country of manufacture does not in any way

impact the intrinsic value of the souvenir.the conveys

some impression of the country it represents, rather than where

it was manufactured.

They all have MKS.

Middle Kingdom Syndrome.

Wouldn't most of this apply to Thais too ?

sorry i think a point may have been missed.

mainlanders tend to have the feeling that if one of

the group buys an items others must also have it.otherwise it will be one

up over me if i also do not buy the same item.

I always explain in western conferences in China ...think about the important word scale.

IN every country, there about 5% whose behaviour is not in sync and in line with the norm society. In China 5% that means meeting 65 million crazy, spitting idiots who shit in the streets , ring your temple bells for fun, scale the Chiangmai city walls etc you will meet of which 10 million swings down to Thailand if TOT figures are accurate.

Out of the outgoing tourist flow in China, 15% are first time travelers which also means for the last 30-40 years, their benchmark was their province life and when they swing down to countries to visit be it Thailand or somewhere else...everything is a novelty and as such on their tours, they value seeing everything hence the short time given at each stop which leads to a frenzy type behaviour ....

My wife who is Thai and from CM, was of the same opinion till I brought her on my business travels in China in the last 3 years ...this was through cities like Xiamen (progressive and modern) and she witnessed for herself what it's like to live in a small city of 7 million :-) and hail taxis , crowds on a non working day and see for herself the pressure of city life.

In comparison, Bangkok and Chiangmai are like oasis and she now understands while not liking all behaviour better why the Chinese like Thailand so much.

She also got an opportunity to meet average middle class families and also the upper middle class that displays none of this behaviour and very much like her worry about int'l school studies, kids, having safe food, where to vacation etc. That led to her ability to understand not to brush China in one broad brush as the people she met again 15% which is about 135 million are absolutely considerate and well versed in English and foreign habits.

I would say my best advice when you see this type of behaviour shouting etc, smile gently at the Chines (Think of them like innocent naive kids) and say shhhhh in a respectful manner...you will see the Chinese bashing stop, they are a little calmer and they smile....the universal language of understanding..there you have enlightened another Chines....hahahahahahahh :-) just another few million to mill through.

For those who are mad, crazy and fighting...you do the right thing as you would with a British drunk lout or a crazy American...stay well clear !

ya Thai 7-11 employees are super annoyed by these chinese tourist. The employees will shout and scream at the chinese and when it comes to my turn, the sweetest thai voice will come "sawasdee kaa, 7 baht ka, sai toong mai kaa?" always makes me wonder if the employees got split personalities lol

The sales Person yelled mee mee mee as the Chinese yelled me me me.

..I love it when you hear other aliens using English as the form of communication..just to listen to them stumbling around for the right words ..makes you think how we sound to them in their language..a lot of confusion for everyone.

I always explain in western conferences in China ...think about the important word scale.

IN every country, there about 5% whose behaviour is not in sync and in line with the norm society. In China 5% that means meeting 65 million crazy, spitting idiots who shit in the streets , ring your temple bells for fun, scale the Chiangmai city walls etc you will meet of which 10 million swings down to Thailand if TOT figures are accurate.

Out of the outgoing tourist flow in China, 15% are first time travelers which also means for the last 30-40 years, their benchmark was their province life and when they swing down to countries to visit be it Thailand or somewhere else...everything is a novelty and as such on their tours, they value seeing everything hence the short time given at each stop which leads to a frenzy type behaviour ....

My wife who is Thai and from CM, was of the same opinion till I brought her on my business travels in China in the last 3 years ...this was through cities like Xiamen (progressive and modern) and she witnessed for herself what it's like to live in a small city of 7 million :-) and hail taxis , crowds on a non working day and see for herself the pressure of city life.

In comparison, Bangkok and Chiangmai are like oasis and she now understands while not liking all behaviour better why the Chinese like Thailand so much.

She also got an opportunity to meet average middle class families and also the upper middle class that displays none of this behaviour and very much like her worry about int'l school studies, kids, having safe food, where to vacation etc. That led to her ability to understand not to brush China in one broad brush as the people she met again 15% which is about 135 million are absolutely considerate and well versed in English and foreign habits.

I would say my best advice when you see this type of behaviour shouting etc, smile gently at the Chines (Think of them like innocent naive kids) and say shhhhh in a respectful manner...you will see the Chinese bashing stop, they are a little calmer and they smile....the universal language of understanding..there you have enlightened another Chines....hahahahahahahh :-) just another few million to mill through.

For those who are mad, crazy and fighting...you do the right thing as you would with a British drunk lout or a crazy American...stay well clear !

Well put. I didn't want to jump out and say it but it does appear there are levels of... sophistication ... for all people including Chinese. The ones we may see/live with in US/Canada are perhaps of a higher level of sophistication than the ones on budget vacations to Chiang Mai.

Similar can be said of all people of course. I noticed a difference in sophistication and behavior of Russians in Pattaya vs. Phuket. Those in Pattaya spoke little to no English (not even 'thank you' or 'excuse me'). And tended to be more pushy and grumpy. Whereas those in Phuket had some basic English sentences and tended to be more relaxed and polite. Perhaps related to their level of 'sophistication' and perhaps time spent in other countries.

Sadly not much can be done with 'informing' tourists of what is the proper and improper way to behave. Perhaps a better screening process for which ones are allowed to visit (Visa Fee of 10,000 THB :) ) might help? BUt of course this would not be good for economics.

However, in another 20-30 years things should improve as we move towards a global society.

That being said, I still prefer to be surrounded by unsophisticated Chinese than unsophisticated Indians who have no idea of the concept of 'personal space' and think squeezing against you in a queue is perfectly normal.

e

come on up to chiang mai and check out your quality chinese tourist, blocking the road as they walk, honk the horn and they lookat you like you are an idiot, jay walk, the ruin of many meals with loud talk and rude behavior. Having said that two very nice chinese girls are stay at a friend guest house. But compared to the family who stayed where my girlfriend works (knocked the sink off the wall doing laundry) the threat of calling police was needed to force payment of damage. Two nice ladies out of the hundreds of bad tourist you can have them

e

come on up to chiang mai and check out your quality chinese tourist, blocking the road as they walk, honk the horn and they lookat you like you are an idiot, jay walk, the ruin of many meals with loud talk and rude behavior. Having said that two very nice chinese girls are stay at a friend guest house. But compared to the family who stayed where my girlfriend works (knocked the sink off the wall doing laundry) the threat of calling police was needed to force payment of damage. Two nice ladies out of the hundreds of bad tourist you can have them

Have you been to China ? If so...you will understand why honking doesn't work...everyone honks there and the rule on the road is the bigger and closer wins... :-) driving is not for the faint hearted in urban China.

As for their rude behaviour...trying my earlier posting....it will work but you have to have a heart of gold and patience and it is about scale....they have tons of people coming and not all are well mannered but they will learn fast if you show them how.

Chinese tourist are proberly the most rudest and pushy people wherever you meet them and not just here.

I notice they try to intimidate , when they need to walk around you, you.re supposed to walk around them, I just keep walking, they move , I know on the HK MTR if a whitey gets on and they can they will move to another carriage, mainlanders hate whities.

No they don't. They have a bizarre fascination with westerners though. Like if you get on a bus in China and there's some woman with her kid on there, she'll start practicing English with the kid "just by coincidence".

Or a group of teenagers, 20 or even 30 somethings of extremely immature people will smile as they walk past you, then hide behind the bushes before shouting "HALLOWWW". You turn around and respond "NIHAO ZHONGGUOREN NIHAO" (i.e. hello Chinese people, hello) but after this happens a few times, you lose the enthusiasm because it gets tiring and old.